PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

disciplewalk

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
I have a yello bole pipe I picked up a few years ago at a flea market (of all places). It is in good shape and the bowl was still yellow when I purchased it. It is a nice looking pipe. However, it seems that no matter what I am smoking in it it bites me really bad, burns me up. I try to smoke slowly when using it. I am about to give up on it. Has anyone else experienced this with a yello bole? Is it me or is this just a bad pipe?

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Could be an engineering problem. If you draw air through the empty pipe, what kind of sound do you get?

Hollow or a whistle? Does the pipe have a filter? Could be the draw through the stem is a bit narrow. What kind of tobacco

do you smoke ? Is this your only pipe, how often do you smoke it? These are the questions that come to mind.
Mike S.

disciplewalk

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
Hey Mike, I have a few pipes. My favorite is a Jobey that my wife bought for me several years ago. I have a Whitehall, a couple of Dr. Graybow's, a pipe from Israel, a corn cob (MM Country Gentleman) and a pipe from a local artisan (Raleigh NC). The Yello Bole is the only one that bites me. The sound is hollow when I draw while empty. As to Tobacco I really like Captain Black Dark, Captain Black Cherry, Sutliff Black Kathy, Lane MV 1000, and have recently gotten into Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme. I smoke a couple of days a week a bowl or two, morning and evening. Thanks for your help. Peace.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
A tight draw make a bitey pipe for me every time. I've found that my sweet spot for airway diameter is 5/32"; anything tighter does not mesh with my smoking style.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
My only suggestion is to point the draught hole away from your tongue as much as possible.

It might get better as it breaks in more too...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a little Yello-Bole briar push bit billiard/pot panel (Checker). Never had a problem with bite. Many aromatics bite for me, so that could be your problem. I only mention my pipe to suggest that it may not be common to the brand, if it is particular to your pipe.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
My Yello-Bole has also always smoked a bit hot. It got better over time but never great.
It's now dedicated as a short smoke for GH Brown Bogie and is seldom used.
Mine has the KBB stamp and says "Honey Cured" ... does yours as well?

disciplewalk

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
Thank you all for your help in this matter. I would like to master this pipe and am gathering that it will require some more diligence on my part. The only stamp I have been able to find is under the Yello Bole - it simply says N6 (not sure what that even means).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have both a Brylon and a Briar Yello Bole. The Brylon works fine and is indestructible, so it sits in the console of my car for 'emergencies'.

The Briar was given to me by my son this year and is a lovat style. It performs without any problems.

I have pipes that may tend to smoke wetter and therefore hotter than others and I always attribute my energetic cadence as the primary cause.

That old 'cigarette' mentality fights with my new pipe smokers awareness sometimes and I revert to some limbic based nicotine cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.