PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
A while back I composed a review of Samuel Gawith Grousemoor; I decided that since I finished a "fresh/young" tin yesterday, I would open a "Year Old" tin today and post some observations/ comparisons and contrasts.

First, the tin note of a "fresh/young" tin is bright and vivid lemon grass. While the Year Old's tin note is very nice it is somewhat muted and darker... if you know what I mean.
The appearance of the "fresh/young" tin is very bright and definitely yellow, the "Year Old" looks more like a ribbon cut Burley, but still leaning to the yellow side of the spectrum.
Now we come to the meat of this contrast and comparison...

The characteristics of the smoke:

I'm glad that I decided to "cellar" some to see what would happen. I know a lot of Members feel that cellaring an Aromatic is an exercise in fertility. By-in-large I would agree with the thrust of their argument.

:D

However; while the "fresh/young" tin has a bright flavor that appeals to many and some not at all; this "Year Old" tin (like the tin note) the taste is muted somewhat, but ohhhh so rich with a really nice mouth feel.

The taste remains lemon grass, but the citric flavor has mellowed while the sweetness and the lemon have grown. The lemon not in a way that is sour because the citric flavor has mellowed and the sweetness really comes through. The sweetness isn't in a manner that remotely resembles Propylene Glycol... Just a good honest smoke that happens to have that unique Grousemoor..... uh... thing going for it.

I also have a couple of tins that are working on three years... I'll let you know how they taste in... ohhhh... ten or twenty years. :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Decisions, decisions. I bought my first tin of Grousemoor about a month ago. Now I am undecided as to wait another 11 months, or open it now. Maybe I should just get another one. Thanks, Lawrence.

moses

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 12, 2013
Biddeford
I know a lot of Members feel that cellaring an Aromatic is an exercise in fertility. By-in-large I would agree with the thrust of their argument.
Classy pun re: procreation, courtesy Lawrence. :rofl:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Moses, I wondered how long it would take for someone to pick-up on what I slipped in there. :D
Grousemoor seems to buck the trend when it comes to the cellaring of Aromatics.

I do think that some age adds to this blend.

But, I still love the brightness of new tins.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Thanks for the review Lawrence. I cracked a tin a year ago and after one bowl have been avoiding it. Maybe I'll give it another go this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.