PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just got some of this from a forum exchange and I'm liking it quite a bit.
Since its on the verge of extinction, what other tobaccos share some characteristics, ribbony mix of brights and darks, minimal flavorings?
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

P

pipebuddy

I would say the obvious: The Old Sign from soon to be available McConnell. :D

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I'm yet to experience Virginias like the ones in Ye Olde Signe, Royal Yacht and Elizabethan anywhere else but under the Dunhill branding but my tobacco tasting trails are not as extensive as others.
I too would like an answer to this if there is one.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Can somebody explain Elizabethan mixture to me , I get it’s a Vaper , but I dont get what all the fuss is about
Gone back to it several times , dried it and in different pipes , but it just ain’t pressing my buttons and twisting my knob
Is there some technique I should try with this one ?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, I could guess that the McConnell's stuff may be close, but, if the FDA crap keeps it out of the US, not much help. For the long haul, I'm hoping to find an older, pre-2007 release date to get into.
Like most, I've got plenty else to burn, but I found the mild humdrum stuff to be enjoyable, too.
jay-roger.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Palate! It's all in the palate! Elizabethan is one of my favorites. Too many blends available to try to spend too much time with blends one doesn't like after a couple of test bowls. Not liking a blend that others enjoy is not a personal indictment or negative.
My style was/is find blends I liked and forget the others. But, many people enjoy exploring what's available. Go for it, I say! But, when you find a blend that "doesn't do it for you" ... move on. Why force it or, try to?

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
As far as Elizabethan goes it really grew on me with some age in a jar, like most Dunhill blends in my experience. I've yet to smoke virginias quite like the Dunhill variety and honestly I find them to be of superior quality. The only other virginias I've enjoyed as much as the Dunhill types are the Sam Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth virginias and they are nothing alike. Esoterica has some exceptional virginias in Brighton and Dunbar, and Rattray's Hal o The Wind is incredibly delicious, but it contains Kentucky and Perique. Supposedly 40 virginia is pretty good.

Dec 24, 2012
Can somebody explain Elizabethan mixture to me , I get it’s a Vaper , but I dont get what all the fuss is about
Use a pipe with wider sized bowl, preferable no more than 1.25/1.5 inches high.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Not sure I have a wide and short pipe bowl to suit . But I’ll do my best with what I have .
Any suggestions to improve pipe inventory ? Some kind of squat potbelly bulldog shape ..

Status
Not open for further replies.