PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
For this edition of Ye Olde Forgotten Pipe Term, we trot out the best word found this side of Lunt. Since the PM forums are all about our group pipemen coming together to to share our mutual love of pipes and their tobacco - this term is especially apropos.
--Today's Word--
Tabagie
1. A group of smokers who meet in club fashion; a "tobacco-parliament." (1819, from French tabagie, from tabac "tobacco")

2. A room designated for smoking tobacco and socializing.

3. A Native American word for a solemn feast, often occurring near the imminent death of a tribe member. (The term may be derived from tabac (tobacco), which was smoked at such feasts)
So, here on PM forums, we lunters gather for our online tabagie!

563px-La_tabagie%2C_Le_Nain.jpg

Title: La tabagie, dit aussi Le corps de garde | Artist: Le Nain Brothers

--
Check out Past Editions of "Ye Olde Forgotten Pipe Term"
#1 - Lunt

#2 - Kinnikinnick

#3 - Estaminet & Chasse

#4 - Tobacco Edition

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Awesome! I love it!
Can you give us the right pronunciation of "Tabagie" (so I don't sound like a jerk when I try to use it in a sentence)?
Will check out your other YOFPT's.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I think this may be my favorite one yet. I think it has to do with the associated image you posted. Something about the guy passed out on the table, and the serving man rolling his eyes in the background amuses the heck out of me.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Can you give us the right pronunciation of "Tabagie" (so I don't sound like a jerk when I try to use it in a sentence)?

@sorringowl
I think the pronunciation is: Tab-ah-gee
In terms of syllables it's: Tab•a•gie
And, another great Tabagie picture:

M071152-01.jpg

According to the snuffbox forums,

Frederick William I was the creator of "Tabagie", the tobacco smoking club, but the only rule was "drink a lot and smoke like a dragon".

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I thought a tabagie is what I use to take small portions of my tobacco fishing. I really enjoy this, keep the information coming.

flippinbird87

Might Stick Around
Jun 25, 2012
Now for all of us to be authentic, we need to wear powdered wigs and pantyhose while we are on the forum. :D

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Great word! I love this series of posts. Keep it up oklansas! Thanks for sharing.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
Now for all of us to be authentic, we need to wear powdered wigs and pantyhose while we are on the forum.
You mean you don't already do that? By fifty posts you should have had your official PM wig come to you in the mail. I believe your PM pantyhose come after your 100th post.

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
Found a great quote about the Tabagie in Thomas Carlyle's History of Frederick the Great - even though it is the beginning of a criticism,

Tobacco-smoke is the one element in which...men can sit silent together without embarrassment, and where no man is bound to speak one word more than he has actually and verbally to say.
In other words, smoking a pipe allows one to side-step the need for "filler" polite conversation in order to ease the awkwardness of a sudden conversational silence. Carlyle goes on to say - as the crux of his criticism against polite society - that this has the added benefit of keeping fools from saying something idiotic or asinine by giving them an excuse to remain silent, by "concentrating" on their pipe.
The really funny bit comes next - when he suggests that if pipe smoking was introduced to the national governments - this effect of keeping the ignorant silent might greatly improve their governance and speed the business of these legislatures,

The results of which salutary practice [shutting up instead of offering 'polite' conversation], if introduced to Constitutional Parliaments, might be evidently incalculable!

Status
Not open for further replies.