Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
I have a Colibri soft flame, several Zippos, and a pair of Nimrods. Also, the obvious standard; matches.
Each has a use and purpose, but I'm a picky sonofa when it comes down to fire and I'm not sure I love any of them for lighting my pipe. As of right now my favorite is the Nimrod Commander, but I haven't used the Sportsman enough to fully decide between rhe two.
Anyhow, I've been looking at all sorts of lighters online and I can't tell if the Xikar Pipeline is worth buying. Warranties are nice, but is the quality good? Tell me your experiences!
Thanks,

Harvey

Sep 18, 2015
I have one, I have only been using it a little over a year so far, the only problem I have had with it was the flints, I tried using the Ronson flints, aparently these are to soft or something, once I switched to the Colibri flint I haven't had any problems. As with ALL refillable butane lighters you HAVE to use quality butan, at least 3x filtered and prefably 5x or better, purge at least every other refill.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
I just noticed the Pipe Accessory thread. It looks like people are unhappy with the Xikar. Guess I'll avoid it.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Xikar Pipeline Lighter. It works, mostly. First, it wasn't easy to light until I replaced the flint with a zippo branded flint. Second, every 10th light or so, I have to take a pair of tweezers and turn the valve back to facing the wheel. It stays charged about 2 days, maybe two dozen pipefuls with relights. If I open the cap, cup my hand over the lighter, and count to five, I get the best results. Oh, and forget about using it in the wind.

It was a gift. My luck with pipe lighters has not been very good, having owned a Colibri that never worked, even after a warranty service, a Zippo that was like holding a ball of fire, a Vector Rapidash that broke after 21 days, and a cheapo lighter that lasted about a week. I like the style of the Xikar Pipeline, but it's a ripoff of the Corona Old Boy. IMHO: Avoid the copies, and save for the real thing. Or use matches.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have a Xikar Resource lighter and it works wonderfully well.
The only problem I'm having now, after four years of use, is that the pipe tamper is a little loose and doesn't stay completely folded into the lighter housing. That being said, my B&M will trade out a new Xikar lighter for free and chase them for the lifetime warranty on the lighter should I choose to go that route.
-- Pat

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I had one, it sucked. I then bought an oldboy and love it. Only wish I had just saved the money in the first place and got the old boy

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
The scribe from xikar is a great light.. very directional, no burned rims or thumbs. I also have the Old Boy both are very reliable.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
How difficult is it to repair an Old Boy if you manage to funk it up? I like them, but the lack of lifetime warranty, compared to Xikar, worries me.
My experience is that Xikar makes an often inferior product that people accept because of the warranty.
I'd be settled on a Corona, just don't want to end up breaking it and having and expensive chunk of useless.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I wish someone made an Old-Boy style that ran on Zippo fuel. There are always a bunch on fleabay but most of them look like they've been beat to death, and the only modern lift-arm petrol lighter I've seen on fleabay is a Chinese frankenstein that looks like a topless Zippo with an arm.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
I purchased a Xikar Resource and regret it as it does not light consistently, it is heavy and bulky and the tamper is not that functional to me...

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
My primary lighter is a Xikar Resource that was included with several pipes and tobaccos I bought off craigslist. I don't use the attached tools (tamper, spade, pick) but it's a reasonably serviceable lighter. It doesn't handle wind well, but it's been reliable for me otherwise.

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
I love my Xikar Resource lighter, the second I've owned (the first one was the victim of my own clumsiness - dropped it on a sidewalk). I love the trigger feature and precision of the flame, as well as the on-board tools (I use the tamper, pick, and spade all the time). I think the only design flaw is that the flame height adjuster on the bottom requires a precision tool. Otherwise, my Xikar is sturdy and reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.