PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Picked one up today, very impressed as its replacing my vector lighter which has sucked from day one.

318IwtnOAbL.jpg

Since I bought it from my local tobacconist, if it fails, I can just bring it there and they will give me another. Great warranty there.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Please let me know how this lighter does for you, as I've been thinking about getting one of them too.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
The warranty is killer I have a pipeline and so far I've had to swap it once because the flint tube loosened. I figure you have at least a 50/50 shot of it going the distance; at least you're covered either way. I can speak from experience that their customer service is top notch.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have 2 Xikar cigar lighters and both have had issues holding the butene in. Had them "fixed" once and bow they're gooing back again. Nice products, great customer service and wonderful product warranties but I really question the overall quality of their lighters. I know others who havew had similar issues.

Good luck with yours and I hoe you have better luck than I have to date.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Good to hear. For whatever reason me and lighters don't get along very well. The only reliable performer is my Zippo pipe lighter. Now I hope I didn't just jinx that.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I have a Xikar Resource, as well, and have had absolutely no problems with it (had it for about a year). My only minor complaint is that I wish the scraper were a bit less sharp-pointed.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have a scribe. I like it. It seems well made and I like the warranty, haven't had any problems so far though. I was at the Chattanooga show and one of the main B&M sellers was using one so I figure it must be a good lighter as those guys could be using anything.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
I have had the Xikar Element 550cs for a couple of years now

and have had no problems.

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for all the input guys! The only thing I've noticed about the resource that I don't like is that it apparently doesn't have a sight window for the butane. I've looked (online) at the Colibri Canault II as well and it has the sight glass. While I was at the Music City pipe show and sell a couple of weeks ago I asked the owner of UpTowns (B&M) if he had any of them, he didn't and he advised against the Colibri.

Tim

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
I prefer the Xikar Pipeline lighter. It's a mechanical one with a flint. It doesn't always do so well in the wind, but neither does the Resource. The Pipeline can handle cold where the Resource can't. If it gets below 50 degrees outside, I can't leave the Resource out on a table, I have to put it in my pocket to keep it warm or it won't work. Also, the Resource takes two or three strikes before it will light. My Pipeline lights right off. I've returned the Resource three times.
My pipeline is my go to lighter, my Resource is my backup and my Xikar EX (Burner)backs up my Resource. The EX isn't a pipe lighter, so I hav'ta be careful not to singe the bowl. Especially with it's type of flame - it's much hotter than the others & also windproof.
Rico

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
tpollock said:

"... I asked the owner of UpTowns (B&M) if he had any

of them, he didn't and he advised against the Colibri."
I'd say that is sound advise ... I've spent WAY too much on Colibri lighters imagining that they were as high quality as their price would suggest. I had one (1) that gave me any degree of sustained performance before crapping out. I could have had at least a two lifetime supply of Bics for the money spent and avoided major frustration ...
I've been eyeing a Vector, but having experienced the power of the Xikar guarantee with my cigar cutter, I just might follow pylorn's lead and go for that Xikar lighter myself.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I myself prefer matches, they're cheap and it's no big deal of I were to lose some. That is a nice looking lighter though, my local B&M carries the same. I've thought about picking one up, I will be gifting one to my buddy for Christmas, any idea which lighter I should get?

tpollock

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2013
Thanks for the input Steve S. I ended up getting the Xikar Resource at my local B&M. It is the imitation briar finish and so far I really like it. I've had it about 3 weeks now. The only thing is I wish it had the sight window for the butane! As I understand it, over filling butane lighters is one of the main reasons they begin to leak.

Tim

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I've used torch lighters for years and don't have charring anywhere. Set the flame as low as practical and point better than you do in the john and all works well.

bentbriar

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
I have the same lighter and probably got it at the same shop....Heros & Legacies?
It is nice having the tools built into the lighter but it does lower the fuel capacity quite a bit; I have to top my lighter off everyday to keep it from running out.

Status
Not open for further replies.