PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
So about 14 months ago, I purchased a Xikar lighter. It worked great for about 8 months, then began malfunctioning at an increasing rate until about a month ago it would only light about 5% of the time. I looked at the Xikar website to see if there were any tips on how to troubleshoot it, and was surprised to see that Xikar guarantees their products for life. A little skeptical, I emailed their customer service and explained the situation, not really expecting a response. To my surprise, I received a reply the next morning instructing me to send the lighter back so they could either repair or replace it. I did so, not expecting a very fast turn-around, and was immensely impressed to find a brand new lighter in my mailbox not a week after I sent mine in!
Kudos to Xikar for their impressive customer service! They just got my business for life!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Their service is exceptional. However, I've had to send every lighter I have back to them for service so the issue is the initial quality of the product. I met their sales rep the other day at the B&M and had a nice conversation about this. The poor guy didn't expect a customer to be there and initiate this chat but I was respectful and direct about my concerns. I've sent cigars cutters back to be sharpened only to have them send me new ones. Incredible response to that request. Lighters are a dicey issue for companies because so many of them have problems. I have no doubt that Xikar will handle my conern in a proper manner but I guess my thought is, why should I have an issue in the first place?

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Kudos to Xikar for their impressive customer service! They just got my business for life!

I agree with the first part of the statement, but not the second. Xikar has by far the best customer service of any consumer products manufacturer I've dealt with. Unfortunately the poor quality of their products (in my experience, at least) has made it necessary for me to exercise their customer service department multiple times for every lighter of theirs I've owned. I'm done with them. I'm sorry to say that, because judging from their great attitude and responsiveness to their customers they deserve better, but it's up to them to make it better.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Hmm, wasn't aware of the re-occurring issues with them. Still, I was very impressed with their service! Thanks for the heads up, guys!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Wood Matches or bic works for me
Me too. I have a Zippo that I've never bonded with, and was considering trying a Xikar. Not sure now reading the posts here, but the service sounds good.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
My first Xikar died after about ten months. I used off brand fuel and always had trouble with it. They replaced it and so far I've used only Xikar fuel and it seems much more reliable. We'll see how long it lasts though. Agree on the customer service, very quick on replacing it.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I received a Xikar lighter for a service I performed for a fellow smoker. It was the lighter I used as my 'work' lighter. One day I reached into my pocket to find the lighter in pieces, screws and wheel floating in a heap.
I sent it in for replacement that was received in quick time. A few months later the same issue presented itself. At that point I chose not to do the return dance and chalked it up to experience. I'd not put my hard earned $$ toward a Xikar lighter.

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
My experience has been the same as Rothnh. They always fix it, but I got tired of having to get it fixed. I went from having a lighter to having an expensive tamper.

Status
Not open for further replies.