PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Vets today at WWII Memorial took barricade down that was put there for :clap: shutdown, went and saw their memorial, people that went from Africa to Germany weren"t gonna let a Gov Baracade deny them ! What a Generation.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I’m afraid to say that most of my family of that generation were on the other side. Though saying that, they still are rather awesome crowd with great stories of Comradeship. They served in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe. They hold a stigma of Fascism attributed to them. Which I personally feel is wrong and even ignorant; many of them served the “Vaterland” during the “great” war, and naturally served again when called up; out of Nationalism and Patriotism not out of any form of Political belief of superiority. Yes there were squads who were responsible for executions of Partisans in Poland, the Balkans, Russia and parts of Hungry, but these were a minority within the Wehrmacht. Most in my opinion served their country just like that of the Americans and the British, and thus should be remembered in a similar fashion.
Either way I’m happy to see that the brave and noble American Veterans can proudly defy a barricade to visit a memorial dedicated to them. In retrospect I’m ashamed that one the German veterans wouldn’t be able to defy that barricade and two that there is no memorial for them to visit.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
Honestly, your ancestors could indeed visit, and are able to freely. I have met many in my journeys in Military History and recorded and heard their stories. They sat there, next to what was once their enemy, sharing a drink and their stories. The stigma is only there amongst the ignorant. I’m sure some vets still hold a grudge, but they are fading fast and many have come to terms with their former enemies—European and Pacific. It is sad though that they do not have a monument dedicated to their strife; but history is written by the victors in many cases. It’s up to you to keep their stores alive, that is monument enough and more so in many cases. Just my two cents.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
Proud to say my Grandfather (stepgrandfather) was a WWII Vet. He was a great man and no suprise was part of the GREATEST GENERATION!

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
You misunderstand the fact that not everyone who fought on the “other side” actually wanted to; a large majority in fact were conscripted and forced to. The fact of the matter is that if more people read primary sources, or talked to the individuals, it may shed some light on the subject. I'm not in any way standing up for the atrocities that the Nazi Party took part in what so ever. When it comes to history, to get an honest and unflinching and educated take on it, you have to take a biased stance. In any case, we are getting far off topic here and stop before things get out of hand...I apologize if I may have offended you by stating my opinion.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
PiperUK, There are differences between soldiers of the Wehrmacht and political assignation and Death squads within the Schutzstaffel.

Sean, Yes I have read stories of German Veterans being well treated among American veterans in the States. My point was mainly about domestic Germany.
I'll apologise to you Tbradsim1, I didn't expect my comment to be so "controversial". I thought that it was generally accepted by pretty much every form of Historian out there. I'll now stick to the topic/go elsewhere, just wanted to respond to the comments above. Thank you and Sorry.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Peter we have let you be rude to a lot of people, Fact this Cajun here is from Jewish stock run out of Belguim, No it's not just about Americans, it's about being civil and sticking to the subject. Even though I am a 70 yr old man I would like to kick your rude smart ass from here to Kingdom come.You think you know it all, but you don"t, nor do I. My post was about one thing American Vets period .

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I have sent an apology – with a more divulged paragraph on what I meant to Peter via PM. I shall keep off this thread now, to avoid further incident.
American Veterans are awesome, and I’m happy that they are respected and loved by their country in the manner that they should be. In my opinion there is a place dedicated to such heroes who fight for their country.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@tbradsim, I haven't been onsite long. But long enough to know that there are some individuals who don't contribute much in the way of topics themselves but are waiting in the wings with large numbers of 'inflammatory opinions'. Like a mild case of crotch itch, IMO they are best ignored. Then you won't be in danger of losing an OP which you value. They can only argue with themselves....and into oblivion! LOL

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I hear you Flaky, my bad, but I"m just an ignorant old Cajun who got tired of his ambushes, this forum I treat it as family, no matter what side of the pond you"re on, my ancestors on my Moms side were from England, Grangers, so the mutts that we are we can"t thumb our noses at anyone. LOL

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Dad followed Paton through Africa, Sicily, Anzio, he was in five beach invasions, was awarded a silver star, bronze star, various campaing ribbons and turned down a purple heart because it was only a torn ear. I miss him, and salute all our WWII vets.
Thanks Bradley, for the topic.

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
@ Trailspike48
My Uncle served under him (Patton) with the 3rd Army in Bastogne
My other Uncle served in the Pacific with the 116th NCB attached to the 25th Marine Battalion from Guadalcanal all the way up until he was mustered out in '45.
My Grandfather served in the Navy as well, Fireman 1st Class, was at Pearl Harbor and served further throughout the PTO. And his brother was also in the PTO but with the Marines; he was at Iwo.
Everyone served until the very end and made it out alive. Proud of every one of them!

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
My grandfather was in the seabees and was on ADAK in the Aleutians the only place where the Japanese invaded "Mainland" US. Next he was on the Island of Okinawa where he saw what he thought was the sun rise. Turns out it was Hiroshima. He was also a jokester and a Texan farmer who was paired with a bunch of yankees. He had the yankees convinced that when he was out on his tractor he always carried his gun to shoot off the Indians.
A great and funny man who smoked a pipe and left my father and I a great legacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.