PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I spent part of Sunday afternoon touring the National WWI Museum at Liberty Memorial and it's an amazing place.
http://theworldwar.org/
There are two main wings: one devoted to Europe and the other given to U.S. involvement. On the European side there was one display devoted to what a British Tommy might carry in his personal possessions and I thought this photo might be of interest.
WWIMuseuminKansasCity_zps3265cd94.jpg

The Afrikander Colonial Flake was also made in England.
Fnord

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Great picture, maybe my eyes deceive me but where is the pipe? I see the pipe nail, matches, two types of tobacco....but no pipe?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
BrDavidson wrote:
"Great picture, maybe my eyes deceive me but where is the pipe? I see the pipe nail, matches, two types of tobacco....but no pipe? "
True. There were no more than 2 or 3 briar pipes on display yet maybe a half dozen very ornamental porcelain Regimental pipes in the German cabinets. And what I thought was a pipe nail as well was written up to be part of the Enfield rifle oiling system. (Maybe. Maybe not. Quite possibly it was mislabeled.)
There was an identical pack of Swan Vestas over on the Yank side and item 23 in the photo is a niftily wrapped bundle of matches with a striking panel attached to the bottom. I certainly can't see something like that lasting long in a sloppy mud filled trench.
Fnord

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I've always wanted to see an authentic army mount. You know, one that was done in the trenches and is the basis for the history of the army mount.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
When I was in college, I had the opportunity to work for an archives and research center on campus. One of the "fun" jobs I got to do was helping set up an historical exhibit of late 19th and early 20th century clothing. Among the display items was an original World War I army engineer's uniform, complete with the boots still caked with dry mud, the woolen pants, shirt, overcoat, doughboy helmet, puttees, and gas mask. I had to outfit this uniform on a mannequin. I remember thinking to myself if this uniform could talk, what tales would it tell!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife and I plan at trip to KC for a wedding in June, but also to see the museum. Although she

is of the boomer generation (like me) her father married late and they had their only child (my wife)

late, so he was a World War I Veteran who always suffered from health problems related to mustard

gas. He lived into his mid-sixties. She left his cook's uniform to a county museum, but wishes she

had saved it for the KC museum. Her dad's headstone has some of the pertinent info about his service.

His unit was inspected by General Pershing who had the troops about-face, and he inspected the back

rank where they had hidden her dad (he was very young, and from the country, so maybe not the most

military guy). Pershing stopped, shook his hand, and had a short conversation about both of them being

from Missouri. Later at the VA hospital, her dad was driven around by Bess Truman; Harry at the time

was a judge. He also met Abbott and Costello.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Swan Vesta's today are virtually unchanged from the one hundred year old ones in the photo you posted.
They still light anywhere, anytime.
Thanks for the photos and the story.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Great picture. The brass bottle with the cap is an oil bottle for the Enfield rifle. The rifle itself would have had a 'pull through' in the butt plate for cleaning the barrel. I am surprised there were no Woodbine cigarettes of the brass Christmas 1914 tins on display. My uncle and quite a few family members fought in that war and lived to survive. The German 'Gott Mins Un' belt would have been a war bring home belt as all soldiers used the standard 08 webbing belt. What a mine of useless information I am at times!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My wife's Uncle Dick Ramke of German heritage served in WWI, was gassed and sent to England , he stayed there for 18 months, no word they thought he was dead. One August afternoon they were threashing the rice , his Father was a rice farmer , off in the distance they see a soldier, closer and closer, it was Uncle Dick. WOW what a scene I bet that was. He loved my wife , never married and never talked about the trenches. He was a pipe smoker and I would bring him his Borkum Riff in a tub from Batin Rouge. He was a game warden and at that time Game Wardens were hated because the Cajuns were used to killing whatever knowing no seasons. Times were hard then and he looked the other way when families killed to survive. He was the only Game Warden that was universally admired. I loved that old man.

Status
Not open for further replies.