PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

napulitano215

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2012
I'm fairly green and smoke nothing but aros. But man I smoked Frog Mortons Cellar and so different than 1q or Other aros like Molto dolce I like aromatics so much. But oh boy this FM cellar is awesome venturing into non aros now I can see why a lot of guys ditch aros for non aros man I was so excited in the taste and aroma of FM Cellar I had to tell someone!! what type of baccy do I try next in a non aro? I can really taste the different tobaccos in this blend man I'm loving the journey of new pipe tobacco trying! And the brotherhood and friends I've made here. Thanks guys!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over the years, I shifted from almost all aromatic, although I tended toward tobacco-forward versions, to some of each, to mostly non-aromatic. I still like some flavored tobaccos as a change of pace, although I find I get some burn with flavorings. Non-aromatics just seem to be more interesting, with the interplay between the actual tobacco leafs rather than a flavoring overlay. Latakia is a wonderful tobacco flavor, as is Perique. But I think you will also eventually come around to Virginias without Perique, blends with Orientals, and some of the "American English" blends with burley. Recently I've become infatuated with Tobac-Manil Semois, the Belgium burley variant. Enjoy all the possible dimensions. You may not like them all equally, and some you may prefer to avoid. But there are interesting discoveries ahead.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well Frog Morton is what's referred to as a cross-over blend, as it has sweetened latakia. Captain Bob's blend may just be the logical next step for you to take. Where the heck is Captain Bob anyways?? Maybe now that I've plugged his blend he'll show up. Another blend I consider crossover like is Plum Pudding by Seattle Pipe club. It has this something extra which is some secret flavoring they use. You may want to work your way through the rest of the frog morton blends first if you're loving FM cellar.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I think most of us started out smoking aromatics so it sounds like you're making a natural progression toward other styles. It's a fun ride so enjoy it.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
work your way through the rest of the frog morton blends
I've only tried one, but this sounds like a good idea. There are just so many blends to choose from it's hard to pick which one to try next. Dunhill's Baby's Bottom is another great one to try.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
G.L. Pease Sextant ... also a Latakia blend and also contains a whiskey/rum top note.
It's a broken flake which is easy to work with and needs little dry time.
I have an open tin right now ... send me a PM with your address and I'll get you a sample. :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I think you should now try an oriental leaning blend that is also light on the Latakia. Try Yednije highlander from McClelland
Frog Morton cellar and Yednije Highlander are my all time favorites followed closely by Black house, penzance and white knight.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Another fun on is shortcut to mushrooms it's a crossover as well boswells northwoods is a good one to. Once you discover a point in which you crave Latakia you will migrate to gl pease gaslight, c&d pirate kake and some other lat bombs. I am just now since it's getting colder rotating my Latakia blends back into rotation. Summer time I enjoy va flakes and some aromatics.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Welcome to the new world Columbus!!! You have just begun to expand your horizons. Most of us started with aros and had your same epiphany when we ventured beyond them. I can't stand aros and won't smoke them. That is of course for the exception of Virginia Cream. Enjoy your edventure!!!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Put a tin of John Cotton's Number 1 on your list. It's a very good light all day English type blend. I'm not a fan of Latakia really, but I thoroughly enjoyed the sample of it that I had at the West Coast Show yesterday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.