Pipes Magazine » Pipe Talk

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Wow! Good Pipes Are Good.

(52 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

I know, Duh! Bear with me for a few.
    I've been a member here for a short while, a lurker for a year. I don't post much as I have little of real value to add, being newish to pipes and a idiot, comparatively, to the knowledge here.
    I am poor. I have a lousy job, and 2 kids, wife, dog that uses up most of my money. For 2 years of pipe smoking I have settled for trying tobacco and not spending on pipes. I have a couple estate Grabows and a handful of cobs and 6 basket pipes(all of which I got as gifts or second/third/fourth hand). I had my eye on a Savinelli at my local shop. I had it put on hold months ago, thinking I'd purchase it with my tax return. It was NOS and the shop owner has been a real friend to this noob, and made me a great price deal. This week I had the extra cash to go buy it finally. Unfortunately, it was MIA. 4 guys scoured the shop and no pipe. I was highly disappointed and a little miffed. I had been lusting after this pipe for months. I have not found another like it and still have hope the boys just misplaced it, instead of some other mouth smoking it, without giving it the love I would have. The shop owner took pity on me and offered to make me a deal on another pipe. Well that deal turned into two pipes. One new and one estate. The new one was a low end Nording and the estate was a LaStrada. ( No I can't post pictures, no camera)
    Now to the point of the post.
    I had read all the thoughts about the evils of low end "basket" pipes, while smoking one and thinking " bull, my cheap pipes smoke as well as those $400 ones". I was wrong. These two mid range pipes have changed my mind. I can actually say I'm a pipe smoker now, not just a nicotine junkie. (I am still one of those)These two pipes smoke better, taste better and stay lit. No more 10 or 20 relights per bowl. Granted I am not a attentive smoker. I'll puff a few times and then get up to make tea or something. This LaStrada stays lit for minutes, not seconds like my Grabow.
    So my advice for new pipe smokers is start with a couple cobs and a couple minimum $50 pipes. The bad part for me is I may only get one more good pipe this year, and that is only if they find MY Sav. If anyone in Columbus knows a smoker that has a new Sav, slight bent, with a clear stem, tell him to give it back. Mine! (lol, sorta)
    Thanks for reading y'all.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard mate, thanks for the read.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I can certainly empathize with you, bigmick, and I'm thinking your comments here ring true for some other puffers here, as well.

It is indeed good to hear you were able to obtain not one, but two good burners recently. Thank you for sharing your experience with us!

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Columbus, where? Georgia?

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

shaintiques...Ohio. Thought everyone knew there was only one Columbus.

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Now can someone tell me why my PS Proper English bites me in the LaStrada and not in my cheap pipes or cobs?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. philobeddoe

philobeddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you live in Columbus, you have an embarrassment of riches, as far as pipe shops. Go to Smokers Haven and talk to Chedda, he's a great guy and he's also a pipe maker. The Tinderbox on the north side is awesome, there are several others I cannot remember. It's a real pipe smokers town.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Go to Smokers Haven and talk to Chedda, he's a great guy and he's also a pipe maker.

+1 I've had a number of conversations, over the phone and Emails, with Mr. Premal Chheda and I've purchased four estate pipes from him over the last year alone. I've found no vendor to be more pleasant and upstanding. Premal is a pleasure to deal with and he stands behind everything he sells. Highly recommended.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Smokers Haven is the shop that lost my pipe. Also the shop where the guys have been very patient with my outspoken self, and bent over backwards taking care of me after it was apparent my pipe was missing. I know every pipe/cigar shop in town and Smokers Haven gets most of my limited money. Tinderbox gets the rest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Given my own experience with Premal, I know he won't stop looking and I'm almost certain he will find your missing pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just in Columbus (Dublin) briefly last week on some business and echo the sentiment that, yes, Columbus OH is a B&M paradise compared to most towns.

Welcome to the forums bigmick, lurker no more.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Roth, Premal was there and he did feel really bad that it was missing. He knows how I felt about that pipe,and yes I'm sure he is still looking for it. I really don't blame him, stuff happens. I'm more miffed that it happened than at any person. I'm still hopeful it'll turn up.
    I'm very pleased with the pipes I did get, even if they weren't The One.

I have spent many hours in that shop talking to Premal and Bill. Always felt welcome and almost always learn something new.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. cynyr

cynyr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome aboard, bigmick!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

IMO, generally speaking, a higher quality pipe does equal a higher quality smoke. I learned that lesson the hard way after buying a few too many lower end ones.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. thuber88

thuber88

Login to Send PM

Understand all too well BigMick, been looking to scrounge a smokable estate from ebay, since I cant afford anything new.
    Maybe someday..

Welcome and good luck

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

bigmick, if you want a good pipe for less than $50, ebay is your friend. A lot of times, less-well-known brands like Bari and Georg Jensen can be had for a song -- just make sure they look in reasonably good shape, etc. I've found new pipes by both makers for less than $35. Plus, many of the older English makes had various lines of "seconds" that smoke as well as the main brands but may have a fill or two. Comoy had a slew of second lines like Guildhall, Everyman, Sunrise, etc. that can sometimes be had for a bargain -- nice looking pipes, too.

I'm sure others here can give more suggestions if you're looking to get beyond basket pipes.

And welcome!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

After this lesson I'm definitely looking to move past basket pipes. There is a part of me that wants to toss all my cheap pipes and tell the wife I HAVE to buy better replacements. SWMBO will not buy that line of logical and rational thought. Women!
    Ebay is not my friend. I have rotten luck there. Esty is better in my mind. No bids, just buy the dang thing.

PAD while broke is a sad thing.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Someone must have pinched it. Sorry about that Mick.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I'm with you Bigmick, while I understand all the wonderful great deals people snag on eBay, I'd rather be having my fingernails pulled out slowly than shopping for a deal there.

It's not because I don't "get" how to do it right, I just hate it with a passion. I know you said you frequent Smokers' Haven often -- I'd be in there 3-4 times a week and probably buy 90% of my estates from Premal if I were local -- I mean, how many pre-smoked pipes does SH get in their shop for restoration each week? Tons. What are the chances that, talking to Premal, he can bird dog pipes for you (in your style/shape/price range) if he knows what you're looking for? Damned likely I'd say.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Roth, I am in SH 3-4 times a month. My budget(director) won't let me go more often. The guys have been very nice to a guy who only spends @$30 twice a month or so. They do have tons of pipes and I drool every visit. Good idea about getting Premal to bird dog one for me....

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not wanting to refute your premise here -- that better pipes actually smoke better -- because you're absolutely right. But I do want to defend the "basket pipe" a bit.

I think there are some great deals to be found in the baskets or on the wall or however a shop displays its "generic" pipes. But you do have to do some work to find them. I think your frustration may be with the fact that your own basket pipes were not hand-chosen by you but came to you "second/third/fourth" hand. I have two no-name pipes that have been with me for years (one was my very first pipe ever, bought in 1980), and they give perfectly satisfactory results. No, I don't swoon over their grain or their craftsmanship, but they are well-made, drilled properly, and do everything I need a pipe to do. Neither one has any fills, and both seem to be an appropriately light weight for their size.

So if you ever feel the need to seek out a basket pipe firshand, I'd suggest looking for pipes that feel light in your hand for their size, pipes that are drilled correctly (will they pass a pipe cleaner into the bottom center of the bowl?), and pipes that exhibit no flaws on the inside of the bowl (assuming it's bare wood). Fills don't affect smokability at all, but if you can find a $20 pipe without them -- and it meets the other criteria -- then I'd choose that one in a heartbeat.

Welcome to the hobby -- and the forum!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. matchstickman

Pipe Novelist

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not wanting to refute your premise here -- that better pipes actually smoke better -- because you're absolutely right. But I do want to defend the "basket pipe" a bit.

Im gonna side with rmbittner on this one, again, not saying that your point doesnt have merit, which it absolutely does. I have a good size billiard pipe I paid $15 for on Ebay. No name, no marking, no nothing. Good size bowl, came with char marks on the rim and still has them, no great grain to speak of, mouthpiece has a little bit of chatter, but it is drilled so well and the draw is so free and it smokes so dry that it easily beats out some of the other lower end briars I own. Again, there is nothing like a high quality, well made pipe, but there are diamonds in the rough to be found in the bargain bin, you just have to know where to look.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

If I had known then what I know now when I picked up my basket pipes I may well have a different opinion of them. I have little doubt there are gems hiding in baskets,but no or little knowledge beginners will only find them through luck. Most of us don't do a lot of research when deciding to pick up our first pipe.

I have gotten good smokes from my no name pipes...but these two new ones just seem to bring out the good side of the tobacco. Before I would get hints of great flavor, now I find it consistently.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Except for the few "Richie Rich" folks out there, when most of us started smoking pipe tobacco, our first pipe was an El Cheapo and our first tobacco was an OTC. Mine a Willard, rubber-banded to two pouches of Carter Hall.

Absolutely no doubt that higher-end pipes, on average and for the most part, smoke better. Call me sentimental but do I love this pre-Lane Charatan I'm smoking now better than that Willard? Nope.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Yeah, my first briar was a Weber, stinger and all, bulldog, rusticated. Caused me all kinds of grief and pain. Wouldn't part with it for nothing. I get it to smoke fine about once every 3 bowls. The rest is an exercise in frustration, but I love that darn thing. I'll master it one day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. rmbittner

rmbittner

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have little doubt there are gems hiding in baskets,but no or little knowledge beginners will only find them through luck. Most of us don't do a lot of research when deciding to pick up our first pipe.

I think this responsibility actually falls squarely on the shoulders of the tobacconist who is selling the pipes, not the beginner who is shopping. Granted, "tobacconist" might not really apply these days. And I do realize that educating a new pipe smoker takes a lot of time and may not always be possible during the course of a busy business day. Nonetheless, I believe it's the job of the person behind the counter to do the initial hand-holding. That's how you win customers. That's how you help to ensure a successful smoking experience that will bring that customer back to your store for their next pipe, their next tin. If a retailer is unwilling or unable to do that -- maybe they only know cigars -- then I don't think they really deserve that new smoker's business.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I personally believe that for a new comer on a budget with little to no knowledge, buying brand name estate pipes from reputable on line dealers is the best way to get good smoking pipes for the least amount of money with little to no risk. Here is a list of dealers who have great reputations and great pipes. Once you learn the market then ebay is also another great source but that takes time.

http://briarblues.com/
    http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/
    http://smokingpipes.com/
    http://www.vikingclubpipes.com/
    http://www.jamesislandpiper.com/
    http://www.neatpipes.com/
    http://www.smokershaven.com/

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  27. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Update; The guys at Smokers Haven, okay Bill, found my pipe. It was hiding right in front of us in the big case. Somehow 5 of us missed it. Can't afford to pick it up for a couple weeks, but it's now in a safe place. I'm so giddy I could pop.

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry I missed this post bigmick. I am with you on a quality pipe, makes a world of difference (something I didn't believe either at first, I mean, wood's wood, right? Wrong.). Glad you picked up some nice pipes and I hope you grab that Sav soon.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Update; The guys at Smokers Haven, okay Bill, found my pipe. It was hiding right in front of us in the big case. Somehow 5 of us missed it. Can't afford to pick it up for a couple weeks, but it's now in a safe place. I'm so giddy I could pop.

That's great! I, too, got another Savinelli last month. They're great pipes.

I know you don't post much, but when you take her home, let's hear how she smokes

Oh, and the guys here like pictures if you can

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

So far aside from my super nice meer that in no condition to be smoking everyday my newest nicest pipe is a crown. It was around 50$ and its a hell of a better smoke than my cobs or dr grabrow, however it does get the gurgles from time to time which is a bit of bother. But yes a better pipe does seem to be a better smoke aside from the fact that I keep going back to my other pipes, I have a certain fondness for them. I cant wait till I can get an actual "nice" pipe. So far I've been spending my money on my cellar since it seems to be whats gonna cost me the most in the future. I did however buy a dremel and plan on make the uber pipe of my dreams.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

Bigmick, if you're like the rest of us, a few years from now you'll be talking Cavicchi, Ardor, Castello, Dunhill, etc.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

I found a couple Ardors at the Tinderbox that got my attention. Not in the budget right now, but one day things will improve, or I'll get lucky on ebay.

This has been a good month. I went from no good pipes to 6. I'll try to get my kid to use her fancy camera and take a group shot or two once I get the Sav home.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigdaddychester

Login to Send PM

Bigmic, don't look past some Antique stores either. I stopped in a place about 3 yrs ago looking for a pipe rack and walked out with 5 Tim West pipes, 3 Peterson's, and a very large Bari for about $145. 2 of the TW pipes hadn't even been smoked and of all the ones that were smoked, the bowls were hardly blackened. I considered it one of the best finds ever. Oh, and I did find a pipe rack while I was there too.

Good luck with that Sav, I'm hoping it finds it's rightful caretaker soon!!!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

I was also one to consider all pipes equals, to attribute the, sometimes outrageous, price difference between makes to nothing but marketing hype, but I have changed my tune! For a long time, I smoked "basket" pipes(my B&M had them in a glass jar), not only because that was the only thing I could afford, but because I though they where just as good. But several years later, my father gave me a Butz-Choquin Origine(the one with the albatross leg bone as a shank extension) as a graduation present, and smoking that pipe for the first time was a game changer for me. I started having more and more disposable income and I started getting progressively better pipes(I am still a cheap SOB and will only buy a pipe I can find a VERY good deal). But I still wasn't willing to make the plunge into the truly high grade factory and hand made market, what could possibly smoke better than a Peterson or a nice Stanwell, I though? But a few weeks ago, maybe a month, I purchased my first Dunhill, simply because I had the money available and found a great deal on the bay(it was actually mostly curiosity). That first smoke of my new to me Dunhill(1961 group 2 billiard) was very similar to the experience I had with that Butz-Choquin... I am sad to say(but glad to have done it) that since then, I bought 3 more Dunhills, a Castello and a Perry White hand made(There goes my savings account)!

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's really simple. The price of a pipe has absolutely no relationship to the quality of the smoke. In pipe smoking the old saying "You only get what you pay for" does NOT apply. Of course, the fat cats and one per centers will argue otherwise, they only do so to justify their $800 pipe. In truth you are just as likely to get a fine smoke from a cob than you are from a Dunhill. So why did I buy an $850 JT Cooke? Because I like the blast. Smokes just as good as my Stanwell. Which is saying a lot!

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

I have to disagree with you kashmir, at least for the most part. While I agree with the fact that some no-name pipes smoke marvelously(case in point, one of my favorite pipe is such a specimen), what you pay for is a tighter quality control, better raw materials and for the most part, better craftsmen using better equipment and all these things cost money. I don't have enough experience to speak of high grades really, but I can state that without exception all of the Petersons I have bought(about have smoked much much better than any Medicos I have(around 12), the same for Grabows, with the notable exception of one pipe(that smoke absolutely on par, if not better than all my other pipes). I don't think that pipes are exempt from the getting what you pay for rule(again with some exceptions).

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, but the price differential between a Peterson and a Medico or Dr. Grabow is not the same as that between a Stanwell and a JT Cooke! I'm talking large differential here. Like between an $80 Pete and an $8000 Bo Nordh.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

Sorry, I misunderstood, I do believe as well that there is a line in the sand, and past that point you no longer pay for quality, but for brand, and artistic value, but as I said, that line has been pushed back, twice already for me, who know how the future will change what I think a fair price for pure quality is?

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I think there's a lot of hype in the high end pipe market. And people end up taking a second mortage to finance their pipe hobby. I've even heard of a few divorces on account of maxed out credit cards for pipes. What I'm trying to say here is if your after a fine relaxing smoke you'll do just as good with a Pete or Stanny for about a hundred, than spending what you don't have thinking you're getting a better smoke. Trust me. I've got both ends of the spectrum. I smoke all day. Pound a month. Old school clenched pipe man and I don't see a difference. Our culture based on advertising hype has brainwashed many of us to think that our happiness quotient is correlated by how much we owe to the bank. After I've seen what bankers have done to this country, I've become debt free. Save for the house. Only spend what I got not what I can get credit wise. Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke. But don't think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence. Cause it ain't!

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

I think that is a wonderful way of doing things, I myself live bellow my means, I own my home mortgage free and have no depts, I only buy things that I can afford, I told you I was cheap(my Dunhills, my Castello and the Perry White where purchased for less that 150$)!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

"PAD while broke is a sad thing."

IMO, this had got to be the quote of the year! I'm not actually 'broke,' but after having gone on a wild PAD spree in February (20+ pipes!), my Budget Director has put me in the doghouse till May. So my Dream Pipe is any pipe I see on Ebay, Etsy, etc. that I really want and know I can't have.

"It's really simple. The price of a pipe has absolutely no relationship to the quality of the smoke. In pipe smoking the old saying "You only get what you pay for" does NOT apply. Of course, the fat cats and one per centers will argue otherwise, they only do so to justify their $800 pipe. In truth you are just as likely to get a fine smoke from a cob than you are from a Dunhill."

Amen. I believe it was G.L. Pease who wrote an excellent article about that which many members have probably read. I once had some fairly expensive pipes including a Dunhill and a Burak Connoisseur, and while they were certainly very good smokers, the pipes I have been buying lately are far less expensive but far more pleasurable.

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  42. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But a few weeks ago, maybe a month, I purchased my first Dunhill, simply because I had the money available and found a great deal on the bay(it was actually mostly curiosity). That first smoke of my new to me Dunhill(1961 group 2 billiard) was very similar to the experience I had with that Butz-Choquin... I am sad to say(but glad to have done it) that since then, I bought 3 more Dunhills, a Castello and a Perry White hand made(There goes my savings account)!

+1

I had some decent pipes before I got my dunhill and wow - what a difference.

The price of a pipe has absolutely no relationship to the quality of the smoke.

I don't agree with this entirely. I do agree that a $300 Dunhill estate is likely to smoke as well as a $8000 Bo Nordh. Still, I would argue that pipes in the $400-600 are significantly better smokers than a $70-150 pipe in many (or most) cases.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kol HaKavod Yadan. I agree!

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone's tastes are so different that what might make a great pipe for me, may not for you. For my tastes, a 225.00 estate Rad Davis pipe smokes significantly better than a 600.00 new Dunhill. I like the way my Castello smokes better than my Ashton, now of course some people love the way their Ashtons smoke in comparison to other brands. it is difficult to say one pipe is better than another when there are so many variables involved. Now when you are comparing a basket pipe to an Asthon or Castello you are getting a better pipe with the Ashton and Castello. Better briar, better construction techniques, briar is aged, stem design is superior, all of these will lead to a better smoking experience. With the amount of estate pieces on the market there are tons of incredibly good smoking pipes that can be had for less than 100.00. It takes time and research to understand the market, but it can also be a ton of fun. I scored a Lane Era Charatan back in June for 46.00 and it is a really good pipe, those deals are out there.

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my little experience with pipe smoking, and from reading tons of differing advice on this site..I have found that usually the higher end pipes usually are drilled and made well. However, it does not mean that lower end basket pipes can be great smokers. It just means you have to do more work into finding the ones that will be good lil smokers in the baskets.

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

For me, it's quite simple.

I divide new pipes this way:

* Inexpensive ($10 - $100). Are some $25 pipes better than $100 pipes? You betcha. I have a pipe with 3 fills that smokes as well as any I own.

* Mid-Range ($125 - $250). For me, these are good, solid pipes with a pedigree. Most are machine made/hand finished, and others are hand-made by up and coming artisans.

* High-End ($300 - $500). These are mostly all exceptional hand-made by established artisans. Others include machine made/hand finished, such as Dunhill.

* Exclusive High-End ($550-$1000). Here I find special order, rare materials, one-offs, very limited editions, exemplary finishes, and the like, from highly respected makers and established artisans.

* Collectors ($1000+). I'd never own one of these (the value is just not there for me), but to those who seek these pipes and own them, it goes far beyond a well made pipe. It's more about the exclusivity and the feeling of owning something that few, and ofter no one else, has.

Posted 1 year ago #
  47. withnail

withnail

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One other thing to remember - many basket pipes are seconds, rejected by their makers for some reason or other. IF the reason is purely cosmetic, a fill on the bowl for example, you're probably going to get a good smoker for a great price. BUT, if it was rejected because it's badly drilled, then you're probably going to have a gurgler.

Another thing to consider when buying something like a Dunhill White Spot is, you're not just paying for that pipe, but also for the 6 or 7 they discard during manufacture. For that kind of quality control, where a lot of fine briar is rejected before the pipe has been finished, you're going to have to pay a premium.

At the other end of the price scale, a MM Corn Cob will give you a fine smoke for a bargain price. One of the joys of pipe smoking is there is a place for everyone and we can all enjoy the wealth of tobaccos available.

Albert Einstein said "I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

All great points, Withnail! Thanks for posting this!

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Withnail's post makes me ponder .... what happens to "seconds" from artisan pipe makers?

Dunhill "culls" the blocks and stummels and they are reserved for Parkers, or Hardcastles. There's also a whole list of "sub-brands" for Comoy, GBD, Sansieni, etc. Maybe I missed seeing 'em, but where are the artisan "also rans?"

Now I'm thinking the artisan likely does not want to them sold as seconds, because if they have any issue, it reflects adversely on the maker.

Also, if the drilling/construction is "off," it's not an artisan pipe most puffers would be "happy" with, even at a "bargain" price.

But even with all that, I'm sure there are more than a few artisan pipes where the rustication wasn't spot on, or there is a small chip in the rim, or a great straight grain ends up with a pit, etc. What happens to those pipes? OK, the pipe maker probably keeps some of them for personal use, but where are the rest of them?

Anyone know?

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A good way to build a quality rotation on a budget is definitely through estates.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. lumberjakpipester

lumberjakpipester

Login to Send PM

I was watching a video of a pipe makers conference and the pipe maker giving the lecture, said he either smokes them himself or tosses them in the bin, I assume some makers don't do that, but I have no idea what happens to them.

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

bigmick

Login to Send PM

Thank you all. I started this thread to talk about how much better my inexpensive pipes smoke as opposed to my cheap pipes. The resulting discussion has been very informative.

At this point in my pipe smoking career I can say from experience I am much more likely to get a decent pipe by spending a few more bucks for a "brand" pipe. Most basket pipes around here run $30-40. $50-60 will score a good Nording or Sav. Yes, it will be pre owned, but most of them have more years left in them than I do. So for now I'm going to skip the basket and search out good name estates. Maybe in a few years when my briar eye develops I can go back and score a few great pipes hiding in a glass jar.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   torque, glpease, yohanan, tabriar, andystewart, peteguy, mephistopheles, kcghost, gigger48, woodsroad, salmonfisher, kcvet67, sw0snuff3r, sidious, doctorthoss, eightywon, jasonphillipcox411, prndl