PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkourilo

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Last week I asked if you'd spend $1,700.00 on a Freehand, sculpted style artisan pipe and the responses were very interesting.

This week, up for discussion is http://www.ebay.com/itm/150894828622?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This pipe has been listed for quite some time. I know it's a James Upshall but still...

Dec 24, 2012
Not a chance. You are talking Bo Nordh type pricing, and I would easily spend that on a Nordh well before an Upshall.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
16 offers on it so far. That's double what I spent for my MGB. Of course, the smoke from the Upshall would be more preferable to the smoke from my car.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
That is a fine looking pipe and I LOVE the rim ... but $11k is insane. Not a chance I would buy that unless I had stupid money.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I couldn't even afford the freaking box, which I really don't see the need for.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The law of diminishing returns is always in play when it comes to high end, hand made goods but this is beyond that. They are just hoping some Navin R. Johnson blows his lottery winnings on it without doing his research.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I would not. As a Peterson fan, I could buy more than 100 brand new entry-level Petes, or better yet 25 Peterson Silver-Capped Terracotta House Pipes (the epitome of a pipe, to me), for the same price. And I would likely get the same smoking satisfaction, without the worry of dropping or cracking or otherwise ruining an $11k pipe. My opinion only.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It's a beautiful piece but not something I'd drop $11k on.
If I had that to blow on pipes I'd get me a few really nice Castello, maybe even that damn Dunhill Root Billiard I've always wanted and give SP a hell of a TAD order. I'd even still have cash left for beer :D

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The high-end collectibles market is basically in the stratosphere across the board, because vast wealth has accumulated into the hands of a very, very, very few. Not the "1%", but the OWNERS of the 1%. The 1% are just their gofers. The rest of us are livestock.
But even many of the gofers have enough pocket change to spend 11K on a high-end collectible pipe without thinking twice about it.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
That pipe has been on eBay for years generating buzz and clicks to the sellers store. Basic guerrilla marketing. 8O

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I would smash my testicles in with a hammer before I spent 11 grand on a pipe. That is just a stupid price. I'm sure some japanese business man will buy it, when these fish called flowerhorn's were first created through cross breeding different types of cichlids, they were actually using them as stock. The highest price paid for one was 600 000 dollars for a golden fortune flowerhorn. But you just can't put a price on good feng shui.

Post-19-1231048027.jpg

When the Flowerhorn cichlids stock market crashed, i.e. the fad died down, it unsurprisingly brought bad luck for many investors that invested in Flowerhorn cichlid when the hype was at its peak. And here is where the problem started for the ecosystem. What do fish keepers do when they grew tired of keeping their luckless fish? Release them into the nearest body of water of course! Being hardy and ferocious fishes, these cichlids quickly breed and wreck havoc to the fragile balance of the ecosystem.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
That's more than I paid for my mobile home. Of course, I do have a pick-up truck out back with the bed filled with water for our swimmin' pool. It cleans easy, too. You just lower the tailgate, let the water out and then fill 'er up again. This has enhanced the value of my home considerably.
Pipestud

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
At that price, we're getting close to a new, plumbed-in espresso machine for my kitchen. Thinking of La Spaziale to replace my Olympia-Cremina.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The pipe is totally worth it if the official that you bribe with it enables you to make a mountain of money. Otherwise, it wouldn't even make for a decent starter briquette.
Unsolicited advice for the 16 who made offers. Psychotherapy is much cheaper and you will get more out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.