PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
So, here's the thing. Let's say you bought an old pipe, say a Castello (ahem) from the early days of the company. You discover that pipes from that era had a very restricted draw AND it whistles you a tune when you draw air through it. Would you rather have the pipe opened up so it would smoke better or leave it as is for the historical value of the piece? This pipe would be a keeper, not one for resale.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
There is a chance no one would notice if you DID sell it. Either way, if you are smoking it, there is no point in having an unenjoyable smoke. Open it!

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Open it you might get lucky just by running the same sixe bit thru it 1st. Since old it wouldn't take much to whistle. Unseen build up. Maybe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
make-it-so.png

jay-roger.jpg

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Just me, but if I was keeping it and didn't like the way it smoked, I just wouldn't smoke it. Chances are, you won't like the way it smokes after altering it. To me there is something about preserving the original state and not altering it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'd mess around with my loading technique a bit before making the decision to bore it out... I like to get a feel for what the manufacturer was doing before I go modding.
But failing finding a sweet spot, if I liked the pipe's looks I'd have it opened up.
Alternately, there's a guy outside Toronto who happily accepts free Castellos of this vintage and smokes the shit out of them... I'd be happy to help you dispose of that pipe.
-- Pat

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Pruss- I haven't put ANY tobacco in it and it's already more of a pull than a fully, and properly loaded pipe! Cleaned thoroughly. No obstructions. The problem is the stem, not in the shank. I think I'm going to have Jesse Jones open it up a bit. Thank you all for your input. Its a beautiful piece and I want to like smoking it as much as I like looking at it.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
One such specimen does not speak for all of its litter mates

Oh, I love my Castello pipes. I have some older ones, though this is the oldest. Never had this issue with any of them. Incredible smokers, all! This particular one needs a bit of help, though.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you can't enjoy smoking it as-is, then open it up.

If you want to keep it on your rack and just look at it, don't bother.
I'm in the camp of "pipes are meant to be enjoyed", but how you enjoy them is of course up to you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd second the motion, but by now it's more like thirty-seconding the motion. Drill baby drill. No, carefully and lovingly open it up a bit or have the pro do it. Enjoy your heritage Castello. 'Glad I never got on the Castello bandwagon -- clearly it's an obsession!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You can always have a new stem made for it with a 5/32" opening. That way you can enjoy it now and if you want to sell it, later on, you'll still have the original stem. But I suspect that the pipe really sucks, most Castello's do, and you'll just want to send it to me for disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.