PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
I got a Shamrock in a recent lot of pipes and it's in rough shape. I don't even remotely have the experience to repair this pipe and would need to send it off for a repair. With all that it needs would you spend the money to repair it? The stem is completely mangled and would need replaced, the band is extremely discolored and the pipe would probably need to be refinished. The 3rd part of the hallmark is worn off too as well as most of the stem markings so no exact date but I can tell it's a Shamrock shape 999. Here are the pics I took today.
shamrock-1-600x450.jpg

shamrock-2-600x450.jpg

shamrock-3-600x450.jpg

shamrock-4-600x450.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sou

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
It might be a lovely smoker judging by the amount of wear it has received. I tend to repair out of sentimental reasons anyway.
I never figure the economics of it.

Aug 1, 2012
I'm only in it around $11 so the repair would be most of my net cost in this pipe. I really wanna get it repaired but was unsure as to the wisdom of doing so.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
How much does one cost new? If it is less and money isn't a problem then I would go for it.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
If that pipe is truly a Peterson Shamrock getting it refurbished is not an option. It's a necessity. At some point in the future if you decide to sell it you will still come out ahead.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I agree with Keith, it'll be worth it for sure whether you keep it or sell it...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The bowl would be a easy fix, strip and restain.
I'm not sure if Walker could do that stem. He told me he can't get vulcanite rod stock in that diameter (couldn't do a GBD 9438 I have). I didn't ask if he could do it in acrylic, but suppose that is more readily available.
I think that pipe would look smashing restored and with a new stem, if it were mine, I'd definitely invest a few more dollars. If you contact Walker, he'll probably ask for the diameter of the stem.
Can you read any nomenclature on the bottom? It would be interesting to see if it was a pre or post Republic pipe.

mrgunnar177

Lifer
Apr 5, 2012
United States
If you decide it's not worth the time or money to restore it. I'm sure many of us on the forum would be more than happy to buy it. I for one am interested.

Just thought I'd put that out there ;)

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
You should send the pipe into Peterson first to get a new stem fitted onto it and then send it to Walker Briar Works to fix the briar portion of it. It would be like two months probabley before the process was complete and cost like $60, but you would end up with a brand new looking briar from the early to mid 1900's. With Walker Briar Works, he would get that pipe sanded and refinished so you would never know it was ever used. I'd only send it to Peterson first so they couldn't possibley harm the pipe once Walker fixes it up like new. Send him some pictures first and ask for a quote, Peterson's price on new stems is very reasonable considering how difficult it is to copy their stems.

Aug 1, 2012
You've convinced me, I'll get it repaired. I've sent a few emails to places who were recommended by forum members. Floyd Norwood can do a stem that large since he has stock up to 1" but I forgot to ask him about the p-lip so we'll see what he says. The rest I expect to hear from in the next couple of days.
I may take you up on that offer Al, that is really kind. Thanks.
As for age, I can barely make out "Shamrock" on one side of the stem and "A Peterson Product" on the other. The shape of the hallmark indicates 1968-1985 but I am not totally sure on that as it could also be the '41-'67 hallmark shape. Either way, it is a well loved old pipe and it would be a shame not to see if it can be revived.
Thanks for all your help,

Sou

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Looks like the old owner was starving to death at one time or another.lol

Seriously though, I think its an awesome piece of briar. I'd see if one of the pipe makers gere would be willing to get her looking good again!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.