Would you encourage your sons to smoke a pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

starwarfan80

Lurker
Mar 12, 2016
My Stepfather made no secret when I was growing up that he wanted me to smoke a pipe with him and only after constant bugging did I finally give in and gave it a try. Were any of you like my stepfather who wanted his son to start smoking a pipe?

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
I certainly would not encourage him to start it but I would not get too upset about his own informed choice to either.

Mar 1, 2014
Yes, though certainly not by pestering. It should be his idea. That said, I won't have to deal with this question for another 20-30 years depending on how quickly things happen, so my thoughts on the subject could end up completely different by then.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I did with my oldest son to help him get off cigarettes, but it didn't take. My youngest son doesn't smoke, he quit smoking cigarettes about 6 yrs ago and is not interested in smoking a pipe or using any type of tobacco. I even tried to get my daughter to smoke a pipe to get her off cigarettes, but she just laughed and said pipe smoking is for old men. I've heard that before and not only from women. I do have a grandson who likes to smoke a pipe from time to time. I even have some corn cob pipes set aside for him when he comes over to the house. When I leave this world he'll inherit my 125 pipes and all my tobacco.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I would assist him if he chose to smoke a pipe. However I would not openly advertise like your stepfather did.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Only sons? Suppose you had a daughter that wanted to try? I have three daughters; none of them smoke - my eldest really is allergic - but my middle daughter has joined in on an after-dinner cigar at big holidays, on occasions.

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
I wouldn't encourage it or anything else. His life is his own and I will love him unconditionally, but that doesn't mean I have to like him.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I have a 7 y/o daughter and a 3 y/o son and both are aware that their papa smokes a pipe. I don't smoke in front of them, but they know the sun room on the back deck is where I relax with my pipe. My son likes to watch me clean my pipes as well. The little man is convinced they are my bubble blowers.
Since my children are so young I have not really given it any thought on whether I'd encourage either one to smoke a pipe. I doubt I'd necessarily encourage it out of fear my wife, who barely tolerates my piping, would kill me in the night; however, I would receive them with open arms if they decided to when they are of age.
Whether they end up smoking a pipe or not I don't know, but I do know that they are going to have to figure out what to do with all the pipe tobacco I've hoarded when death cuts me down. Hopefully Pipestud will still be around...Lol.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
It'll be a race to the finish line, beezer. And judging from all the wear and tear on this old body, I wouldn't put my money on me. :cry:
I am not sure that "encourage" would be the right word, but if one of my children were to ask if they should take up the pipe, my answer would be only if they want to live a longer, more stress free life.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Are we sure this thread wasn't started by a Left Wing Anti-Smoking coocoo who would like to see this magazine taken down for incouraging underage smoking?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My Dad didn't want me to smoke cigs, which he did. I'd be tickled in a way if my son (30) took up a pipe, but the chances of that are slim to none. He's very health conscious, and always bugging me to wear sunblock and eat better.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
On his 18th birthday, my oldest bought himself cigars...a few decent ones. He invited me to join him in a smoke. I've since interested him in the more affordable prices of the occasional pipe, and gifted him a cob, and a restored Kaywoodie. We smoked a few together during his spring break the past week. If he's going to smoke anyhow, I'll make sure he's doing it properly :puffy:

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
No, at least not intentionally, kids learn by the example set before them. If you smoke in front of your kids, then you are encouraging them to smoke. Most of us don't mean any real harm, and our actions are not intentional, but I believe that is just the hard truth. I would never push my kids to try the tobacco pipe, unless they were already smoking cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.