PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
So, I got sniped at 1 second remaining on the Cavicchi that I wanted on Ebay. It seems this is the norm of my Ebay pipe shopping experience lately- it is very difficult to win the auction you want. So, do I wait for something similar to come up again, or buy one new? There is a new one that I love listed on a online retailer, but the price tag is over 400.00. What do you think? Worth it to wait, or worth it to buy a new to me pipe for once?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What was the price break on the one sold on ebay, versus the $400 for a new one? Just off hand, not knowing

your situation, I'd say, give it one more try on ebay (though I don't use ebay, but you do). Most of us would

like to save 25% to 30%, anyway, on a pipe purchase if the pipe is in good shape. It's enough money that the

savings would be worth pursuing. For a $100-$150 pipe, I might just go for new.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Yes, I would. The price tag is pushing my comfort level (for the time being, haha), but if I decided to spend that money, Cavicchi's pipes seem like some of the most appealing in that price range to me.
mso has some good points, though. Another in-between option would be buying an estate from one of the e-tailers. There were 3-4 on smokingpipes not too long ago, so they do come up from time to time. You'll still get a much nicer price than buying new. Of course, if you buy new, you don't have to wait for one to show up and then hope it's a shape/finish that appeals to you.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
MSO, the estate on Ebay went for around 250.00, so significantly less.
I do want a specific shape for sure, not just any Cavicchi.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Of course with an ebay auction you really don't know how much you would have paid to get that pipe. The winner may have bid over $300 or so. A major advantage of buying an estate from an on-line retailer is you can usually return the pipe if it isn't to your liking. Most ebay sellers have a 14 day return policy, but they aren't selling pipes on approval. If you don't have a very good reason to return the pipe it is very likely yours. That is my experience anyway.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Thanks for looking Sam! I am after a Canadian, although I would be interested in other traditional shapes like a billiard or bent billiard.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If I found a Cavacchi that was light enough and had the funds, I would definitely purchase new. My problem is his pipes are usually larger in size. At one point I had a dozen or so but traded them off as I moved to smaller pipes. I still have a couple dedicated to Lat blends but they do not get smoked much these days.

Dec 24, 2012
One of the first pipes I bought was a Cavicchi, but I never got around to smoking it. Nothing fancy. Willing to part with it if anyone is interested.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
I like that one Peck but I am sure I do not have the funds for it. Nice looking though.

Aug 14, 2012
Never again. I bought one . It was beautifully carved and smoked really badly because of the stain. Had to sell it at a big loss. It scared me away from Italian pipes for years.

Dec 24, 2012
Junkyard, that is shocking. I just went to SP and saw the prices. I could not believe how they have went up. Foggy must be lying to us - he is trying to corner the market on them I think.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Cavicchi pipes are works of art, perfectly engineered, and IMHO smoke great. If you see a new one at retail of the right size at a price you can afford, snap it up because they tend not to hang around for very long. I bit the bulletin for my one Cavicchi and I love it.
c619c4e29ae8e08da1d8aac5dae0df0c_zps639db719.jpg

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I, too, once owned three Cavicchis, and sold them all. One was a Canadian that I wish, wish, wish I had now. It was a great smoker. What was I thinking?
I recently purchased my latest Cavicchi. It's not a style that I especially collect, but you can't beat the farmer from Italy when it comes to engineering and creating a beautiful pipe.
new-cavicchi-598x600.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
Peck: I never lie. Telling the truth is one of my basic principles. Am compulsive about it.

Hiplains: No the interior was not stained. The outside was stained a dark walnut and it was awful tasting. Maybe his lighter stain is better, but why take a chance when there are so many good pipemakers?

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I would buy a Cavicchi new or in 'estate' condition, as I am very fond of Cavicchi's dublins; in my experience they are very fine smoking machines that feel great in both hand and mouth. I own 5 Cavicchi pipes and they are all excellent smokers. Here's my latest Cavicchi dublin:>
002-400-1559.jpg

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Foggymountain, how can it be possible to taste the stain on the outside of a pipe? The stain does not penetrate through the briar and into the bowl. I've never heard of anyone else complaining about this. Could it be that you have a very sensitive nose and can smell the stain, and that it interferes with your taste? It's the only explanation that I can imagine. Unless you are licking the pipe.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
I would be interested in Foggys explanation as well. Even though that post was two yrs old, I have seen Foggy post similar things abou Dunhill shells I think as well. A new cob is about the only thing I have ever noticed in a new pipe. I would have to lean towards the smell of the heated stain affecting the first couple bowls myself. I've just never noticed it. I only have had a couple "new" pipes thought. 1 Sav and two Petes, my first pipe was a Grabow but I didn't know right from wrong anyhow;)

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I picked up a couple of nice Cavicchi pipes off ebay a few years ago at a time when there were more listed and the prices more reasonable. Lately there are not as many for sale and even the smoked ones usually get good money. To me the gap is closing so maybe a new one is a good option?
I found this with Ardors as well.........so last week I bought new rather than wait and wait to be outbid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.