Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Would You Buy 100$ Frog Morton 100g Tin??

(55 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by mmcobber
  • Latest reply from daveinlax
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

Hi all!

So Im kind of new to pipe. Been smoking cigar, but stopped since I started pipe! I started with a MM great dane pipe and MM tobacco and I am very pleaed with it!! After reasearching for a while I found that Frog morton tobacco use to be a good tobacco ! I would love to smoke some but since it not in production any more price is up!! I am bidding on ebay but pric is high! ( around 80-100$). So should I give it a try or there any good tobacco I should get for this money ??
    Thank for your thoughts !!

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. verporchting

verporchting

Login to Send PM

Too rich for my blood, and I love the stuff.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If your goal to to smoke Frog Morton you'll just have to pay market price. If your goal to to find satisfying blends to smoke, don't waste your money on unobtainium when there are so many great blends still available.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 months ago #
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

I already got a 50g tin of Frog on the bayou coming.. might consider others brand too. I will read some of this forum to find some suggestions!
    Thank !

Posted 3 months ago #
  5. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can buy 9 to 10 tins of other tobacco to try for $100. IMHO, you'd be much better served to choose the former. However, your money, your choice.

Posted 3 months ago #
  6. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There is a forum member here selling some. Just look at the site.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

BTW, even by eBay standards, $100 for a 100 gram tin of Frog Morton is high. They mostly go for around $50 to $65.

Posted 3 months ago #
  8. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Op is in Canada and he sent me a message. I would love to sell him some FM but not sure he would receive it. Customs...ugh!

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I won't pay more than $15 for 100grams of anything, so nope.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  10. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

Hi mmcobber. Up to ya. I don’t know what your disposable income looks like.

Me personally, no, I wouldn’t spend $100 on any of the Frog offerings. It’s sad and I’ll miss it. Mcclellands took me by surprise and I’m left with one 50g tin each of Frog/Town and Frog/Cellar.

Then again, some folks drop thousands on a single pipe and think nothing of it. More power to ‘em! Me, I don’t own a pipe worth over $300, and most of mine are in the $100ish range.

Sadly, I’m not sure of any blends that are close to the Frogs. I’d let it go and enjoy maybe Bengal Slices, Northwoods, GLP Gaslight or Quiet Nights, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding... if you’ve not had some of those yet. There’s really too many great currently available offerings to list, as you may well know.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 3 months ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Fraid not.

Now an original tin of John Cotton Smyrna.....

Posted 3 months ago #
  12. gerryp

gerryp

Login to Send PM

$100? Absolutely. I'd light it with 500 Euro banknotes and smoke it while I cruised around Monaco in my Bugatti.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Short answer.. no.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  14. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I concur. Not chasing the rabbit.

There are too many other excellent tobaccos available now.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

foursidedtriangle

Login to Send PM

I would rather buy 20 oz of my favourite tobacco for that $100.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope. Frog Morton is nothing to brag about. There are way better English mixtures out there.

That stated, I have 4-100 gram tins I should sell.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  17. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would You Buy 100$ Frog Morton 100g Tin?

No.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 3 months ago #
  18. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No.

I wasn't that big of a fan the first time around.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  19. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

I have a few 100 gram tins of FMC I picked up on eBay for about $62 each. I wouldn't pay more than that. I will not be buying anymore evan at the $62 price. There are too many great tobacco's out there for a much better price.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

jabo

Login to Send PM

Don't have but a bit of McClellan left. Sold off most I had at the war prices. Decided if I couldn't get more, why not .

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the pipe event this weekend, I ran into a guy with a trunk load of Frog Morton that he was trying to unload at $100 a tin. He had a few takers, but I was never a fan of it to begin with. Whenever I would get down wind of a few guys smoking this, it always had that waxy aromatic smell to me. But, it is interesting how many people thought that buying a trunk load of this was going to make them rich. Maybe it will. It at least gives the newbies a chance to try something new.

But no, I wouldn't be interested in buying any of this for $100 a tin, and there are things that I might be interested in trying for that price, just not this one. YMMV

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

Ok thank all for yours though , im a newby smoking cob, just wanted to try the frog once but yeah it very overpriced . Anyway I already bought a 50g of frog on the bayou! So at least I will taste this one!
    Cheers !!

Posted 3 months ago #
  23. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I'm also a new smoker and was able to try both FM on the Bayou and regular FM, and for my inexperienced palate I couldn't tell much of a difference between them, though I did prefer FMOTB. I suggest smoking at least several bowls of the FMOTB first and deciding if it's really worth that much for FM.

Keep in mind that someone here on the forums will eventually be selling tins or ounces of it. I was patient in waiting for sales here and ended up with Penzance and other good blends I wanted to try.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. User has not uploaded an avatar

mmcobber

Login to Send PM

Nice techie! Thank for sharing !

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Right now I'd lay in some good quality currently produced blends in fair quantity rather than going after discontinued bid-up blends. A Forums member sent me a tall tin of Frog Morton Cellar which was, to me, magnificent. But I'm not going after the rare blends these days. One hundred bucks worth of the currently available blends, eight or ten tins, would be a fine idea, and a better way to spend your money, with free shipping in that quantity.

Posted 3 months ago #
  26. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

I’d let it go and enjoy maybe Bengal Slices, Northwoods, GLP Gaslight or Quiet Nights, Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding... if you’ve not had some of those yet. There’s really too many great currently available offerings to list, as you may well know.

This right here^^^^

I started piping when Frog Morton original was readily available. I absolutely loved the stuff and would have 5 pounds of it if I could but not in this lifetime would I pay $100 for 100 grams.

There is so much out there right now that is readily available for a fraction of the cost listed above. Diamonback listed some really good blends if you want to start trying some blends that are not the same as FM but they are of the same genre and a few of those are actually better in my opinion.

There are a couple of copies of FM out there, and while not the same I think they get close:

Country Squire: Shepards Pie
    Shepards Pie

Another one listed recently called King Frog Morton but I haven't tried it yet.
    Kings Frog Morton

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 3 months ago #
  27. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Would You Buy 100$ Frog Morton 100g Tin??

Not a chance, too many wonderful blends out there that are far, far better IMHO.

Posted 3 months ago #
  28. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Years ago when I was smoking Frog Morton they came out with Frog on the Bayou. I actually liked it better than the original Frog. I would never pay even 30 a tin for any Frog, not when there are tons of other blends for 10-15 bucks.

If you find that you enjoy Frog on the Bayou, you might want to try Two Friends Deacons Downfall.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  29. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't spend 100$ on one tobacco tin unless it's The Balkan Sobranie.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

Never tried it and proablly never will especially at those prices it might spoil me of all other tobacco then id be chacing that first frog

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 3 months ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't buy one for that price, but I might sell one for that price.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  32. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

- Haha! I was just going to say I wouldn’t pay that much for a tin of Frog, but I wouldn’t sell any of my tins for that, either.

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ditto!

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  34. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

haha me as well!

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Funny, I wouldn't buy for that price, but I wouldn't sell my McClellands for that price either.

Posted 3 months ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No

Posted 3 months ago #
  37. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

I did. Well it was $99 .
    I am new to pipe smoking and have never tried the blend . I have only read good things about their tobacco so I figured, what the heck. I will never get another tin of this stuff so it will be a once in a while smoke.

Posted 3 months ago #
  38. eaglewriter1

eaglewriter1

Login to Send PM

One could argue that when compared to Cigars this is still cheap but... no, no. No matter how good or well aged, no single Tin of Tobacco is worth 100$+

Posted 3 months ago #
  39. maxsmoke

maxsmoke

Login to Send PM

Well . Living in Canada I would have paid close to that amount for the quantity I got anyway. So picking it up online from an online retailer in the U.S wasn’t the worst thing I could do.

Posted 3 months ago #
  40. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

I kinda like the cigars analogy. Most decent cigars cost at least $10, and if you get 10 smokes out of a tin for $100, you're paying the same $10/smoke. Conversely, will you enjoy the $10 pipe-full of Frog Morton, 10x's as much as a currently produced readily available tin of something else? Probably not. It kinda comes down to, how bad do you want to scratch that itch. More often than not, I've scratched it, but then again I'm not going to say I recommend it either...but then again, again, it's probably not been the last time I've done it either. Try to make sense out of that! LOL

Posted 3 months ago #
  41. boston

boston

Login to Send PM

In the right pipe FM is a stellar and unique smoke, now unobtainable unless u spend more.In a few years McClelland tobacco's will be even less available and may demand even more $$ on aftermarket. U will get way more than 10 bowls out of a 100 gram tin so the reference to cigars is a good one. If u have the $$ and love FM, consider a big tin instead of a box of cigars that will cost twice the amount. If $100 is alot, and it may be shop around or trade or try current market offerings that are not the same (imo) but very nice nonetheless.

Posted 3 months ago #
  42. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A C-note for 100g, even of FM, is highway robbery. Unless of course you just HAVE to have it & can't find it cheaper. Me, I wouldn't spend over $60 for it.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  43. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Personally I think Frog Morton is a poor representation of an English blend, I still think the English make the best English blends. I’m not putting down McClelland as they had a lot of blends that I love but I went to them for their VA’s not their English blends. $100 a tin? That’s just silly.

Posted 3 months ago #
  44. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always thought of Frog Morton as an aromatic for beginners that were latakia curious. And, if we are comparing it to cigars it would be the vanilla Black and Mild of pipe tobaccos.

I didn't say it wasn't good, just not for me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  45. boston

boston

Login to Send PM

46. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^
    US only, though.

Posted 3 months ago #
  47. peanubutter

peanubutter

Login to Send PM

Maxsmoke, good purchase for a new smoker. I have over paid for some pipe tobacco but even more for cigars that fell way short of being good. I have searched on-line for two months and have a tin of my must try tobaccos, finally.

Posted 3 months ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

mordy18

Login to Send PM

Ha, just saw this thread and just paid $100 for a 100g of FMC that's on its way. Is it ridiculous? Yeah. Could I have bought 10 tins of other stuff? Yeah. But as a new smoker my curiosity was peaked. Video, after video online from 2018 and earlier described FMC as one of the top tobaccos out there. So I want to see what the hype was about. Also, coming from cigars, I would pay $120 for 10 Liga Privada No 9 robustos, each about a 1 hour smoke. How many bowls will I get out of 100g of pipe tobacco? Probably 20, maybe more? So from that perspective not such a ridiculous prospect. At least I managed to get 6 tins of various Dunhill varieties at normal cost before they disappear.

Posted 3 months ago #
  49. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Video, after video online from 2018 and earlier described FMC as one of the top tobaccos out there.

You should have heard how badly people talked about McClelland before they went out of business.

Posted 3 months ago #
  50. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Coming from cigars yes FM is still cheap at 100.00 for a 100 gram tin. At 3 grams a bowl it is still only 3.00 a bowl that will smoke for a good hour. Try and find a good cigar for 3 bucks.

There are so many great blends out there that are readily available and priced right. Here are a few you might want to try.
    Escudo
    Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
    Capstan Blue Flake
    Solani 633 and 660
    Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

Posted 3 months ago #
  51. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've always thought of Frog Morton as an aromatic for beginners that were latakia curious. And, if we are comparing it to cigars it would be the vanilla Black and Mild of pipe tobaccos.

I'm glad you said it, I have similar thoughts. I remember early experiences with Frog Morton thinking it was quite good. After smoking a number of other blends, realized it was just okay. But that's to my taster. I don't care what other people spend their money on.

Posted 3 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

mordy18

Login to Send PM

Thanks for those recommendations. I have tins of Dunhill BB1938, Durbar Mixture and Ready Rubbed on the way, and Escudo Navy Deluxe, Peterson Gold Blend, and Rocky Patel Prohibition Pure and Simple (which I thought might be a good mild regular aromatic type smoke, like Lane 1Q). Already have 4 tins of the various CAO flavours (I guess I can't get away from the cigar world yet, although I don't think these have any cigar leaf in them) and a pouch of missouri meerschaum Danish blend which I've really enjoyed. And of course the FMC which I'll be cracking open over the weekend.

Posted 3 months ago #
  53. onestrangeone

onestrangeone

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^^^ You gotta do whatca gotta do!
    I wouldn’t, but then I’ve already gone thru a ‘few’ tins of it. It’s also possible I might have a ‘couple’ tins left.
    Let us know what you think about it!

Posted 3 months ago #
  54. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, but I never smoked the Frog. Now, show me a large tin of Virginia No. 24, Pebblecut or Smyrna No. 1 and we'll talk.

Posted 3 months ago #
  55. daveinlax

daveinlax

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look at it this way, it's an investment in your pleasure. Most of us don't blink at a $100 dinner or bottle of scotch.

Posted 3 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   taildraggin, renfield, cortezattic, ben88, sablebrush52, lightxmyfire, mumbles, dmcmtk, odobenus