PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
Could one of these glass pyrex containers work to store a lbs of flake tobacco?
pyr_storage_plus_3c_rect_dish_red_plstc_cvr_1075430.jpg
[/url][/img]

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I think it would be good but I would need about 30 of them. Two quart canning jars will hold a pound with a little stuffing and the seal is probably a little better and more affordable.
tinner 8)

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
Probably, but depends if it's long term storage or short term...the tops don't usually make real tight seals. Mason jars to the hinge clamp kitchen jars make the best seals. Also with these types of jars you can really pack the tobacco in very tightly.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Like others have said; stick with what has been tested over time and is known to work... Mason jars.

Short term it would probably work out, long term I seriously doubt it.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
You could probably store tobacco for a few months in there if you keep an eye on the seal, but I wouldn't use it more than that. You definitely want mason jars for long-term storage.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
"Ditto" to all above replies ... short term (in rotation) would be fine.
I use a "Tupperdor" for my cigars.

While it retains moisture WAY better than a wooden box,

it still needs to be re-humidified about twice a month.

Mar 1, 2014
I've tried those before and no, they don't hold moisture.
For temporary storage that means I have a bunch of nice flake tobacco almost perfectly dried and ready to go, but I wouldn't want to leave anything in there for more than a year.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I would be surprised if the top sealed well enough for long term storage.
In the meantime, I have one of those I use to rehydrate pipe tobaccos that have dried a bit too much for my preference, and/or also to add a little flavor to certain tobaccos that could use some. Spread the tobacco out evenly along the bottom, use a spray bottle to carefully dampen the tobacco evenly using either H2O or rum, & cover for a few hours. Works like a charm.

wardrum

Might Stick Around
Sep 23, 2011
Thanks for the input guys. I currently have it stored in a mason jar but just thought having it lay flat would be better.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I currently have it stored in a mason jar but just thought having it lay flat would be better.
That would only mean more surface area for it to dry out even faster in an already poor storage environment.

As said by others; stick with the Mason jars.

Status
Not open for further replies.