PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl0wburn

Lurker
Sep 22, 2016
Hello everyone.
I'm looking at buying my first pipe ever and am wondering if a Forseti Bamboo pipe would suffice?
I would provide the link but I don't know if it is allowed ; a simple google search will pull the pipe up. Roughly 70$
I'd appreciate your views on the potential purchase as to whether it would be a good idea or not and as to whether there may be a better option for me.
TIA.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
Your first pipe is your first pipe -- so if that's what caught your eye, go for it! :)

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Why not? I say yes, but it is easy for me to spend your money. Seems like a good deal for what you are getting and should serve you well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. Forseti (Forsetti?) is a good known brand, even if I can't spell it. You should be fine with it. You might want to buy a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe or two at the same time, probably for the same shipping if you are buying online. Lots of info on Forums.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The pipe is the least important part of pipesmoking, unless you're the kind given to affectation. With your eyes closed so you can't see the pipe, you wouldn't know a $5 basket pipe from a $2000 Dunhill from the way it smokes. Even a rank beginner can taste the difference between different types of tobacco blends. That's where I'd concentrate, but it's your "hobby".

willc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I agree with shutterbugg here.

Since you are just starting out I would go with a decent sampling of various tobaccos and a Dr Grabow or a Rossi pipe.

If you don't care about looks of the pipe then a cob or two also, for me the cob is the best smoke.
If you are dead set on your pipe though, go for it.

It may be a great smoker, no telling till you try it out.

Good luck with your journey and don't get frustrated cause it takes a bit of practice to get effortless, enjoyable smokes on a regular basis.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I happened on the Forseti pipes with bamboo shanks on PC. They look pretty good.

sl0wburn

Lurker
Sep 22, 2016
No I have not ordered. According to a response via their customer care they will not ship to Canada.
I found the pipe to be very aesthetically pleasing myself and would have grabbed one.
I cannot find the same piece(s) being sold anywhere else.
It is unfortunate. I may grab a Savinelli.. Not sure still looking.. no others as of yet in the same price bracket grab my attention as that of the Forseti.

sl0wburn

Lurker
Sep 22, 2016
let me add while i may be starting out in the world of tobacco pipes i am highly familiar with smoking tobacco.
I enjoy great cigars. Allot of those while chilling on white sand Cuban beaches lapped by blue turquoise waves. Rum in hand.
I've smoked medicinal herbs out of a variety of apparatus and while in a world in of itself I've dabbled in vaping as pretty far as you can go.
I'm not worried about the tobacco and varieties and the taste in as of itself... as much as the instrument used to deliver it.
Once i have said instrument in hand i will explore the various complexities pipe tobacco has to offer.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I agree with what has been said. Your first pipe should be something you think looks cool. Forsetti's look nice and people seem happy with them. I will concur that whatever you get, you should grab a few cobs from Missouri Meerschaum. I have a handful of pipes in rotation and quite a few unsmoked. Despite this, I smoke Corn Cobs at lest 50% of the time because they smoke great and because they are so lightweight and inexpensive.
Cobs are nice because you don't really want to smoke pure burly blends and English Blends and Aromatics all out of the same pipe.

You are tobacco literate-experienced, so you'll surely be trying diverse blends.
I am tempted to share my ideas about what Pipe I'd buy for $70ish, but as long as you don't find that you are overpaying and reviews seem to be authentic and positive, you can't really go wrong.
I have been tempted myself by the Forsetti Walnut.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
Give it a go. Bought many a good smoker on a lark. Just be sure ya get good tobacco.

stevuke79

Might Stick Around
Sep 21, 2016
Welcome. Ive only been smoking for a few months. I got my first pipe, a lower end savinelli.
I love it but my cobs smoke nearly as well.
Get WHATEVER pipe u like for your first,...
But ALSO GET a few $5 cobs bc you will definitely also want to sample different tobaccos in the beginning...
And when u dont yet know what you're tasting, doing it all in one pipe is confusing (for me anyway).
Also... if you mess it up during smoking or cleaning... its only $5.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Something to think about, for the newbies out there, is that your first pipe may not be the best. The less expensive pipes do need some break in time to smoke best. Usually, anywhere from ten to twenty bowls for the worst. Plus, if it has a bowl coating, it might taste funny for the first few smokes. That doesn't mean that the pipe is bad! I like to break in a pipe on the tobacco I intend to smoke in it, but sometimes even then I discover that a pipe that is mediocre with VaPers is great with Balkans, and vice versa. Half the fun for me is smoking a few different blends in a pipe after break in to discover what smokes best in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.