PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i have been considering buying another stanwell because the one i own is my favorite pipe. in fact, i'm considering buying another of the exact same shape - the 179. but i've been looking at tsuge and see pipes for half the price. the kaga bent pot and the tomato in particular, which have the 1/4 bent stem, which i prefer. anyone have experience with these low priced tsuges? am i better off just getting another stanwell?

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Good question. I have been eyeballing those low priced Tsuges since they started appearing on etail sites and at b&ms. I like their aesthetic and they have a very good reputation for making higher end pipes. Just don't know anyone who has one to give a review. Anyone?

adam12

Part of the Furniture Now
May 16, 2011
Honestly, I like the smoke from a Stanwell better. Although Tsuge was an Ivarsson knockoff originally, they are mass-produced Japanese styles for sure. The Tsuge I had was pretty nice for the price but nothing special. Turned out being a lawnmower. I think I traded it at a pipe show for like $30. If all you want is a generic pipe that will serve you well for a few years, but not be a cornerstone to your collection, they're okay. If you're just looking for a Stanwell-level pipe (price, quality) and interested in something a little less cookie-cutter, I'd suggest Mastro de Paja or something mid-level English.
By the way, there are some Tsuges that are high-grade (500 and up) but I can't speak to their quality.

throwryuken

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2011
i agree with adam. my tsuge isn't a bad pipe but you can tell it was mass produced.
it defiantly does it's job anyhow.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I know five different people personally who own tsuge pipes, even someone with one of those really expensive ones ichebana or something, I smoke with them 1+ times a week, and I have been for almost a year, I have never seen the Tsuge pipes, none of them like them. I doubt I would ever buy one, too many negative reviews for me, I would rather buy something different for the money.
I would stay away unless you get a really good deal

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I find it interesting that there's a low-end line of machine mades around the $50 mark, and then the Ikebana line at the $500+ mark...not much middle ground there. :crazy:
Thanks for the review Paul, very helpful!

bryanhayn

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
My latest pipe is a $42.50 Tsuge E-Star Three Stars smooth billiard and I think it's a great value. It's light, smokes well, and looks good. For the price I paid I'm not worried about smoking the shit out of it and breaking either. Sorry, I'm still a noob and can't go into much detail.

chopz

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2011
i think i'm just going to wait and get another stanwell, same model. something about that pipe, i don't know what it is. i'd rather smoke it than any of the others i own.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I got a Kaga 904 from SP several years ago, and really like it. Then a rustic natural bent bulldog showed up, and is one of my dedicated VA pipes. I got another shape with the same finish, also for my Virginias Project. At IPSD I saw a Super Smooth tomato, and liked it so much that when more popped up on SP - welll.
I think I must like Tsuges?
hp

les

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
About a month ago I bought one of those blasted dublin shaped Mizuki (spelling?) Tsuges from SP for about $50.
I was a bit shocked to find a metal stinger on it. However, since it was brand new, the stinger slid right out without a problem. I've got to say that it's become one of my favorite pipes. I'm going to buy another one, so I'll have a pair to fit my two pipe leather travelling case.

Status
Not open for further replies.