PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I know this is completely subjective and I know we all have blend type preferences. I've read many comments about certain blends and how bad they taste, but I'm interested in knowing if there is any consensus on specific blends and how bad they taste. In my personal experience I have given every blend I've tried a fair shake and have managed to get at least one decent bowl out of most of them. There are many I won't repurchase for several reasons, such as there are better options in the market place. But my question is, What is the worst tasting blend you have ever tried?

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I'm fortunate in that I've tasted everything from Samuel Gawith's Black XX, to Ennerdale, to Mixture 79 and can't say that I've tasted a single tobacco that was bad to my palate. The tin note of Latakia was initially very repellent to me, but after smoking a few English blends I decided I enjoyed it.
The worst I've found is underwhelming, boring blends that just don't have much taste at all. Because I like variety and flavorful smokes, I enjoy the extremes of the tobacco world. The only tobacco I've ever given away were these boring, harmless blends that most people would commonly call "all-day smokes"--I just gave them away because I knew I'd never get around to smoking them.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
By the way, this thread is going to be a treasure trove for me. I recently wrote this in my review of Mixture 79:

A while back I mentioned that any time I see members drama-queening over how bad a blend is, I immediately have to try it. The reason is that I love variety, so anything that's a bit out there is fun for a change of pace. The boring blends don't inspire hate; they inspire apathy. Anytime you see someone hating a blend, that's generally a surefire sign that it's unique and someone else loves it.
This is the precise reason I've tried Ennerdale, SG Black XX, and 1792 Flake. I didn't love all of them, but I did like them, and having a tin sitting around is perfect for whenever I'd like something different.
That brings us to Mixture #79.
Ashdigger has already reminded me that I really want to try Sam Gawith's Firedance!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Speaking only for myself, the worst I ever tasted was Peterson's Hyde Park. I got a tin as a freebee with a Peterson pipe, picked it because it was listed as an English, unlike most of their blends in that promotion which were aros. Turns out it's a Lakeland (and apparently, not even the most potent example of one), which I had never known existed. I never got as far as a true light, the hit off the charring light nearly gagged me. I was certain it was defective, that somehow in processing they poured soap over it instead of topping, or that someone had used my pipe to blow soap bubbles. I could not even fathom that they actually made tobacco to taste like that, or that anyone could possibly smoke it.
I also got a free sample of one of the Tom Eltang blends along with an order, but I didn't smoke it. The bag note was like the shed my dad used to keep the lawnmower in. Rotting vegetation. Yuck.
I never smoked Mixture 79, because I despise licorice.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I'd send some Ennerdale to shutterbugg's house as a joke, but he'd probably have to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.