PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Have you ever found that tobacco that actually gets you worried that one day you will no longer be able to purchase more? That's What black Frigate is to me. I wish I could have skipped the past two years of my search and went straight to this blend. My wallet hates me because of it. My fiancé thinks I'm crazy and my dog keeps hiding in the corner eying me suspiciously.
But, this is only the beginning. My cellar will be fully stocked with this stuff for the impending zombie apocalypse.

May 31, 2012
I'm extremely worried that Velvan Plug will go out of production due to it being Ireland-market only and probably a very small niche market.
The main thrust of my recent cellaring activity has been to obtain as many pouches of it as I can, and I'm up to 14 pouches at the moment...
...it's so expensive that it's a difficult endeavor to procure a substantial amount.
Oh how I wish the overseas retailers had quantity discounts and free shipping over $100!
Oh how I wish the dumbasses at BAT or STG or whoever the hell owns rights to it would take some initiative and bring this stuff to the N. American market!
I can't blame them though,

the litigious and hostile environment would be enough to put any smart business person off,

especially given our current political climate,

which has reached the point of true absurdity.
Sad but true.
:crying:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Once you've had a couple of horses shot out from under you, it's hard not to worry about it happening again.

Mar 1, 2014
Nope.

Slow down to a few bowls a week and all of a sudden the dozens of blends I have just for sampling represent decades of smoking.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I've become this way about Exotique by smokers haven. Compounded by the fact it was at one time hard to find. I've bought 20tins the past couple weeks :( despite being told they have plenty

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
One of my favorites has an already known end date because the tobacco used is no longer available.
However, this has been known for some time so I've stocked up. :puffy:

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
My bigger worry is finding something I love, stocking up, and popping it in 10 years only to find it is just a smidgeon of what it was fresh.
Some of my glp blends have gone over the hill after 10 years, unfortunately. Most blends do well with age as I mostly smoke only aged blends, but on occasion I do get bummed out when an aged blend gets outshined by the fresh version of it.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo cli
Lats going over the hill after 10 years is not unique to the great Pease blends: I have a mess of other brands that are shadows of their former selves, especially ones of Syrian.
hp

les

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Yes, I think this is, at the very least, a passing thought for most of us - do you even cellar bro! :)
Several Pease blends are in that category for me. And if Cornell and Diehl ever picked up their toys and went home I think I would have to find a tall building to jump off of (when my stash ran out of course).
But, if the current trend of FABULOUS blends coming on to the market continues, it will sure deflect a blow like that - at least a little.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Lats going over the hill after 10 years is not unique to the great Pease blends: I have a mess of other brands that are shadows of their former selves, especially ones of Syrian.
Good information! I am a Lat nut but stocking up might not be a good idea though... :roll:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It's well known that latakia doesn't have a long shelf life. 10 years seems a little soon to go to complete crap, but it does fade over time. Makes for much amusement when watching eBay bidders paying hundreds of dollars for decades old Balkan Sobranie. The smart people are the ones who are unloading it.
Everything has a pull date. Tobaccos are no different. Having sampled a number of superannuated mixtures I've come to the conclusion that most of these are to be smoked for the satisfaction of one's curiosity rather than one's palate. The flavor can go from minimal to downright strange. Once in a very long, long while one encounters a Dorian Gray, but it's the very rare exception rather than the rule.
I don't worry about a blend going away. There are so many good ones, and new blends come along that offer pleasures.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Not something I really worry about. My palette is forever changing, and I absolutely love variety in my smoke.
I have a healthy stash of Virginia Flakes cellared, for the purpose of aging, as those apparently will benifit the most from long term age. Also, I have a plethora of other blends to keep my curiosity satisfied, which will be smoked well before they are considered over the hill!

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Granted I have some favorite blends, but I'm not at all worried about any blends going away. There is always something else that I'm sure will come along to satisfy me. Keep it simple: it's less stressful, and a hell of a lot cheaper. :wink:

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I've become this way about Exotique by smokers haven. Compounded by the fact it was at one time hard to find. I've bought 20tins the past couple weeks :( despite being told they have plenty
I was just up there today and yes, they have a quite a bit. That said, they go through long periods of not having any in stock so I think you are wise to stock up on it. The orientals really shine after a decade so I would not worry much about Exotique declining in the taste department.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
especially given our current political climate,

which has reached the point of true absurdity.
Absolutely, misterlowercase!

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We've been actively working with a European manufacturer to try to bring over some of the EU-only blends. What's holding up the process is that new regulations require a change in packaging for their home markets. Some less popular blends are going to go away, so until they determine which ones stay and which will disappear, our efforts are on hold.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.