PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgvinholi

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Hello. I smoked pipe tobaccos, varieties of cigarettes - industrial or homemade - and not so usually cigars for one year to relieve the college massive stress. I enjoyed a lot, but have had some mouth problems since. These are: mild hairy tongue, mouth sores - with natural mouth tissue color -, enlarged papillae and altered taste senses. Stopped smoking one month ago. Lungs always seemed pretty ok. I used to smoke slowly, reduce the moist before smoking, choose fair reliable tobaccos, drink lots of water while smoking, brush teeth after, use carbonated filters, smoke on a peterson churchwarden, etc. Resuming: did everything people said could help. I went to a specialized physicyan, and had no bad diseases yet.
Even though I'm only 19, am worried about being predisposed to some kind of mouth cancer or other worrying thing. Do you think it's the case?

Any help from experienced folks? Thanks.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Hell son, your body still has that new car smell.
Something is gonna kill you. If you want to better your chances of not catching a debilitating disease leave the tobacco products alone. You'll also save a bundle of money over the years.
So, if you are risk averse and you'd be one of the few kids I've ever met who didn't think he was bullet proof, leave the smoking for others.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
A predisposition would suggest that regardless of lifestyle choices you have increased risk. The only person who can help you identify whether or not you are predisposed to mouth cancer or any other worrying thing is your doctor, assuming you've provided accurate family history.
As to whether or not smoking will exacerbate your risk, heed the counsel of your physician, research your lifestyle choices widely and make informed, adult, decisions.
In your shoes, I'd head to the library or exercise my google-fu to inform myself and then come to a forum like this to share your concerns, and your planned course of action to address them. I probably wouldn't look to a forum like this one to help me make decisions about how to take care of my health.
On a side note, managing tongue-bite from pipe smoking is something we all go through as we learn how to smoke a pipe. This is entirely normal.
-- Pat

jgvinholi

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Warren, thanks for the advice. It's strange, since I've never met a person with such mouth sensibility.

jgvinholi

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Pruss, I've done lots of research on the internet, mostly on health websites. All they tell is that smoking is bad and causes mouth diseases, but aren't specific on how those diseases evolve in time, neither when generally or how exactly it happens. So I'm with hands tied... Came to this forum with the hope that perhaps some experienced smokers passed through something similar, or know someone who did and has not get good prognostic.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
A lot of stuff changes in your mouth as you first get into smoking. The roof of my mouth was bumpy for at least a week....it went away, I kept smoking. I tend to not worry about smoking effects as much as soda, medications, food, and exercise habits. Everything can kill you, or harm you when you look at the big picture. I'm a little older than you, but seems our general age group has been prone to be overly concerned. Benefits of schools/television shoving in health concerns at the extreme to us.
It's ultimately up to you whether you want to continue. My "mouth" problems from smoking went away after about a month. As for mouth sores.... try a softer tooth brush...and my buddy got bad sores when he got crazy and was brushing at least 5 times a day...too much brushing can be bad for you as well...go figure.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
These are: mild hairy tongue, mouth sores - with natural mouth tissue color -, enlarged papillae and altered taste senses.
My guess: it's making your mouth acidic.
"See a physician" is good advice.
But also, you might try low-acid tobaccos.

jgvinholi

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Thanks, Tyler. I come from a overly concerned family about diseases and inherited some of this. There's no history of mouth and lung cancer in my family, even though other cancers are common. I'll stop by now, perhaps in the future I look back and change my mind.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I defer to the greater wisdom of Warren...
If you want to better your chances of not catching a debilitating disease leave the tobacco products alone. You'll also save a bundle of money over the years.
-- Pat

jgvinholi

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Deathmetal, somehow cigarette smoke used to be by far less harmful to my mouth. Perhaps it is more basic than acid?

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Perhaps it is more basic than acid?
Possibly. I don't know enough here to offer an opinion. Varying tobaccos is one option; also, maybe make sure you're not burning your mouth with hot smoke?

jgvinholi

Lurker
Dec 8, 2015
Deathmetal, I used to try my best so the smoke wouldn't be so hot. Also, have take a look at this link, which describes precisely a lot of symptoms I commonly have. I'll begin a treatment with sodium bicarbonate and start to eat more vegetables. Thank you very much for the advice.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
…and some people are sensitive to different tobaccos like red virginias…depend on body chemistry. And it's not set in stone that you have to smoke 5 bowls a day to enjoy a pipe. I smoke a bowl weekly that I thoroughly enjoy. Any more than that, I end up with some tightness in my chest (probably a result of asthma due to some allergies from over exposure to exotic hardwoods I developed years ago)

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I totally agree with Warren. Remove tobacco products from your life if you have any potential health concern. And trust me, if you are concerned about mouth cancer you will eventually get it if you continue smoking. Because you will be thinking about it during your smokes and it will affect your psychology.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
With the moneys saved from smoking, if indeed he does save them, he'll be able to afford the right home. The one I have picked out has, duplexes, a golf course, nice pool, great assortment of shops (wood, welding, etc) and a nice selection of comely widows. All that and assisted living if required. Not looking forward to it. If I need such in a few years, I'll pass the time quite nicely thank you.

Mar 1, 2014
If it hurts, stop.

The bottom line is that smoke will hurt everything it touches, it doesn't matter where, how or why. There is nothing you can do to stop that, the less exposure the better.
But, I still think moderation exists, it's just hard to define.

Too much exposure to water will kill you too, it's just natural for us to maintain a correct balance. The puzzle for the beginning pipe smoker is to define that balance.
After a year and a half at this, I've pretty much concluded that if I'm going to stay healthy, one puff per minute is about right. That's probably slow even for the veterans but I'm also probably more sensitive than most.

However, the puzzle cranks up in difficulty at this point. Saying "puff once a minute" is all fine and dandy, but making a pipe stay lit at that pace is another thing.
Dry your tobacco, dry it good.

Right now I'm experimenting with packing a pipe the day before I smoke it just to have something convenient and ready to go without going through all the extra steps and hoopla required if you want to smoke something that just came out of a tin.

It should be noted that not all blends need excessive drying though, some blends seem to burn quite well right out of the tin, it's probably one of the characteristics that defines the "Old Codger Blend" for example.
And if for whatever reason my tobacco isn't burning well enough (which is most of the time, and usually my fault, but some blends won't burn easily no matter the moisture content), what I've been doing recently in order to keep my pipe lit but keep my mouth healthy is to puff in reverse.

It's not "blowing" into your pipe (moisture from your lungs will soak everything in the pipe pretty quickly) but almost exactly the same motions as taking a puff, except in reverse. Basically when I take a puff all I do is lower my tongue in my mouth and let the vacuum draw the smoke in. You can actually change the volume of your mouth by quite a lot with just moving your tongue (which is all basically the same mechanism as when sucking on something).

To "puff in reverse" I put the button in my lips and raise my tongue, and I see a puff of smoke come out of the pipe.

This will still raise moisture content in your pipe so be prepared for gurgle, but I can almost smoke an entire bowl this way without coming into contact with smoke, turning the entire process into an almost wholly aesthetic exercise.

Lighting is still my bane though, unfortunately I can't accomplish that without drawing. I'm still trying to figure out how to get around that. Dry tobacco is good.
I do like my high temperature Butane torches but pipe collectors scream in agony any time jet torches are mentioned in the same sentence with pipes.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
General Mouth Problems isn't the one you need worry about. He's good people. The one that should concern you is Sergeant Blood Pressure.

gogosamgo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
As many others before me suggested, please go visit your doctor. It's honestly probably nothing, but it's worth the peace of mind. Also moderation is key. Cancer runs rampant on both sides of my family, and so I make sure I'm responsible with how much I choose to smoke. I don't think I've ever smoked more than 3 times in one week. Some people will probably look at that and wonder, why even smoke? I throughly enjoy this hobby, with collecting new pipes and slowly trying new blends. Smoking my pipe out on the patio with a good book and some tea is one of the most relaxing thighs to me, but I refuse to ever become addicted to smoking (I have plenty of family who heavy cigarette smokers). This is the reason why I try to keep it at 1-3 smokes a week. In no way am I suggesting to you my own personal convictions, but just wanted to give one example of how pipe smoking can be enjoyed in moderation, and I've heard other members before also share boundaries they've set as well, most of which were much less conservative than mine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.