PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Just wanted to point out that next Saturday, May 31st is "World No Tobacco Day" from the World Health Organization (WHO). Every year they seem to have a central theme, this year being "Raise Taxes on Tobacco." The goals of this year are outlined on their site:
Goals
The ultimate goal of World No Tobacco Day is to contribute to protecting present and future generations not only from the devastating health consequences due to tobacco, but also from the social, environmental and economic scourges of tobacco use and exposure to tobacco smoke.
Specific goals of the 2014 campaign are that:
-governments increase taxes on tobacco to levels that reduce tobacco consumption;

-individuals and civil society organizations encourage their governments to increase taxes on tobacco to levels that reduce consumption.
Wow. Social, environmental, and economic scourges of tobacco use? Heavy stuff.
Here's the website for those interested. I think I will respond by smoking my pipe in public all day.
http://www.who.int/campaigns/no-tobacco-day/2014/event/en/

datascalabash

Lurker
Aug 6, 2009
It can NEVER "completely succeed", as long as Native Americans still hold to traditions involving it!
Dear Fellow Pipefans:
Data's Calabash here once more...I don't know IF any of the World Health Organization folks involved with the movement for such a "holiday" has ever had any dealings with either one or more of the Native American tribal councils that still have a cultural use for tobacco in their particular culture(s), or even more importantly with any of the UN agencies that are in existence to protect the rights of any indigenous human cultures/ethnicities anywhere on Earth...
...if they HAVE been, one or more of those WHO human health personnel involved in the "anti-" movement is, sooner or later, going to HAVE to recognize that "World No Tobacco Day" simply REPEATS the potential for the sorts of sad deprivations of native cultural practices that have been going on for so long worldwide in human history...AND have been so destructively visited on indigenous Americans for half a millenium.
Such a "World No Tobacco Day" will NEVER be practically achieved, as exactly that sort of forced conformity would be no more welcome than the Trail of Tears, having their native languages silenced, or any other sort of abrogation of their civil rights that they've already suffered.
Some tribal groups have been able to start reviving the use of their native languages in recent years, as one sign of a reversal of such destructive "priorities"...why should anyone, or any agency of any type, be allowed to go "all the way" with taking the tobacco-based traditions of any indigenous American ethnicity away from them, anyway?
It makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever to attempt such a thing...and out of the roughly 560 Federally recognized tribal ethnicities in the USA, a significant number of those ethnicities who live in the "lower 48" states AND east of the front range of the Rockies, ARE likely to still have a long-standing (since North American prehistory, in many cases) set of tobacco-based cultural traditions in place, and would most likely not tolerate any interference with those, from local-level, state-level, national level OR international level "health authorities".
So, the very idea of a "world no tobacco day" is a potential violation of the civil rights of certain indigenous Americans, and has no ethical reason to exist.
Thank you,

Data's Calabash

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
So, the very idea of a "world no tobacco day" is a potential violation of the civil rights of certain indigenous Americans, and has no ethical reason to exist.
I would call it a violation of all human rights. When you take a cause and place only one group as important to it, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
"I'll be lighting up to celebrate!"
With you on that my friend!
Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy: :puffy: :puffy:
PS: maybe I'll chew some Oliver Twist and light up a Disel cigar at the sam time! LOL!

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
I'll be going to a metal concert. I'll be sure to light up a cigarette, a cigar, and a bowl by the end of the day! Hell, maybe Ill suffer through a pinch of chew just to really piss em off. Screw the lot of em, they can take my baccy with my guns: from my cold, dead, fingers!

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Will also be sure to have a smoke in public. I really wish these people would get a hobby and a life!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The most important day of the year to smoke as much as you possibly can and to purchase some tobacco.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hmmm ... No tobacco on a Saturday?
MAYBE they would have gotten me on a Tuesday ... but Saturday??
These people must be as stupid as they are opinionated and meddling!
I'll be smoking MORE than usual.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Nothing we do will stop the raising of taxes. Their group is singing the same song as almost all politicians: more taxes for personal choices.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I fail to understand the issue these folks have with moderate tobacco use. They seem to lump ALL tobacco use together. I don't see the difference between me smoking my pipe once a day with the fast food, or fatty meats that people consume daily! Don't get me wrong, I like bacon as much as the next person, but I don't remember a no bacon day, or no fast food day! Why pick on only one thing that has possible health issues and not another? Want to live longer? Quit driving a car, which seems much more risky to your health to me. Yeah I know, we need to use our cars for general living, but I think it's time for the WHO to look farther than just tobacco as a "health, economic, and environmental scourge".

Jeez, gimmie a break!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I'll be sure to smoke at least one bowl to honor this glorious day.

I'll also be sure to salute those noble lobbyists with the customary middle finger of the right hand.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Want to live longer? Quit driving a car, which seems much more risky to your health to me.
Don’t worry, it won’t be long before human control of automobiles is prohibited.
California to begin handing out driver's licenses to autonomous cars

http://www.dvice.com/2014-5-23/california-begin-handing-out-drivers-licenses-autonomous-cars

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
It is interesting to know that our smoking tobacco is the single most evil practice on Earth and threatens the very existance of Humankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.