PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Is anyone in this forum going to appear at the World Fantasy Convention this November? I'm going as an exhbiting artist, but it would be cool if any fellow forum members are going to show up too and we can get connected.

May 4, 2015
That's awesome. My wife does nerdy crafts (knit,crochet,crossstitch,sewing) and is doing her first booth this weekend at the RageCon table games con in Reno. We are total con nerds. You have an ETSY or somewhere else you keep your stuff online?

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Too far away. The only High Fantasy that gets me interested these days is from George Martin and Patrick Rothfuss. Though if Rowling published fantasy again I'd certainly read it.
And of course, Tolkien seems to come out with a new book every few years...my friend's favorite quip, from around the time that The Legend of Sigurd came out--"Tolkien's been dead since 1973 and he's still writing better books than Stephanie Meyer!" :rofl:

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
She has a series of detective novels ongoing; I haven't heard that she plans more fantasy--although she did write the Screenplay for a film based on the exploits of one of her characters--a film which I believe is to be released next fall.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The WFC is taking place early November in Saratoga Springs, NY. Their website is wfc2015.org--if it were any farther than NY, I couldn't go. It's going to be an arduous trip even by plane from Detroit, MI. Lugging framed artwork and a foot-high sculpture (of Cthulhu) is going to be a daunting task. For that reason, I'll be exhiting only a few pieces; the primary purpose is to unveil two new pieces that will take me months to execute. They also do exhibit jewelry, I understand, but I imagine it must be of a sci-fi or fantasy nature.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
sparrowhawk,
I would LOVE to see your Cthulhu sculpture.
I think that's the first time I've ever typed that particular sentence. Nonetheless, I've been a Lovecraft fan for years and was a regular Con attendee in the past. I'm still a fan of all things science-fiction/fantasy but I haven't been to a con in years..

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
So does WFC move around, like WorldCon on the SF side of things? Our travel plans/budget are shot for 2015 (and most of 2016 at this point), but my wife and I are making lists of cons that we'd like to travel to at some point (DragonCon, Steamposium, Teslacon, WorldCon, etc.) and this looks like another contender... :D

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
The WFC does appear to move around from year to year. This is the major event in fantasy in the country: awards are handed out for best novel, story, art, and so forth for the year. They also offer awards for best of show for new works. I'm foolishly shooting for that.

Jan 8, 2013
I bet that's going to be just amazing! I can imagine a good number of my favorite fantasy authors and artists will be present. Sparrow, as much as I'd love to go to this, I likely will not be able. But please, take photos and post them here if you can.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
When possible, I will certainly take photos, you may be sure.

I wonder if there will be any pipers there? Harlan Ellison is a pipe smoker, but if he shows, it will be incognito.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Bad news, guys: transportation problems are going to prevent me from going the the WFC this year. Long and complicated story. But I intend to finish the Cthulhu statue and if it's presentable, post some photos of it here.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's too bad Fred. Sorry you won't be able to get to the con. Looking forward to seeing how your statue turns out though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.