PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
And so it begins. It's only a matter of time before this is the new normal everywhere...IF it is tolerated. Any sane society should institute an absolute ban on robot policing of any kind imo.
If humans accept and submit to this, we're finished as a species imo.
"World’s first operational Robocop" hits the streets as Dubai builds robot police force
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/worlds-first-operational-robocop-hits-10474646?service=responsive

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
"... it can speak six languages and is designed to read facial expressions."
People think I'm "intimidating" because of my facial expressions and I shift into French or Spanish to swear when in company I'd rather not keep. This is a bad, terrible, no good, rotten, awful idea and should be squashed immediately.

alialansari

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
My uncle, who's a high ranking police official in Bahrain, was invited over to Dubai to witness the inauguration. I have yet to hear his thoughts.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This is a bad, terrible, no good, rotten, awful idea and should be squashed immediately.
Amen to that.
My uncle, who's a high ranking police official in Bahrain, was invited over to Dubai to witness the inauguration. I have yet to hear his thoughts.
Small world. It'll be interesting to see how the experiment on the public there goes.
@mayfair: thanks for that video...I hadn't seen it and it was mildly amusing. Also it confirms the corporate media's active public conditioning on the subject.
I'd buy that for a dollar!
lol...funny how that seems to be the most memorable thing from Robocop.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Ya, this is kinda scary! And getting the public conditioned for it will be easy.
I agree Frank. I really don't doubt that the vast majority of people will just go right along with being policed by robots. It's the old boiling frog analogy.
It's called Normalcy Bias...it looks like this:
normalcy-bias.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
After watching all those films where robots eventually turn on their makers, it sure is a trifle scary!
IMO, the whole idea of robots becoming self-aware and deciding to exterminate humans is just a ruse. I don't believe it's possible for a robot to become self-aware. That whole narrative, imo, was created to deflect responsibility from those programming and operating the robots.
I fear that complacency and apathy will be our undoing.
So true of so many things.
What could possible go wrong?
Dick, you're fired.
The significant portion of that clip is where "Robocop" says "My programming will not allow me to act against an officer of this company".
Those above the law view police and military as that which stands between them and the profane masses. This is problematic for the "elite" because they need assurance that orders will never be questioned and that their guardians will never turn on them no matter what the circumstances in the world become. The obvious answer is robots/drones, etc. In recent years robotic technology has advanced exponentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.