PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Hello all.
I have just started smoking pipes again and am starting from scratch. I have a straight billiard that smokes aromatics great; but is too big for anything else. Here it is:
20151112_185802_resized_zpsixqoipfu.jpg

Here I am enjoying it :)
PicsArt_11-07-04.54.06_zpsp4ckcemu.jpg

I have this kaywoodie 01 white briar on its way. I plan on Virginia or Latakia blends for it. Not sure what would be best. Any ideas?
s-l225.jpg

I plan on getting two more pipes to fill the 1/2 bend and full bend slots. I am thinking a bulldog for one and need suggestions one one more. Please offer advice with pics so I know what you are talking about.
Thanks for the help!

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
I am not a full bend guy so no recommendations from me. But welcome back to the hobby. It wont be long before your collection increases.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
What are some classic shapes that pair well with different tobacco styles?

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Stacks/chimneys are great for Virginias.

Wider bowls are better for more complex blends. English and Balkans come to mind.

Billard are great for Kentucky dark fired blends and Vapers.
But then again, if you wanna smoke it, then smoke it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's difficult to shop pipes for other people. We all have such specific preferences. Also, you don't cite a price range. I'd look at Stanwells at pipesandcigars; Savenellis at smokingpipes.com and iwanries.com; and Johs various places. Also, French pipes offer a good array of classic shapes at notably good prices, with fine smoking qualities. Chacom, Butz-Choquin, and Genod are worth reviewing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Stacks/chimneys are great for Virginias.

Wider bowls are better for more complex blends.
I tend to agree with this assessment, and would add that bent billiards seem perfect for Burley blends.
Old Joe Krantz in a bent billiard on a cool day with a breeze is perfection. But, you need a wide bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.