PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've finally been able to convince the owner of my company to let me work from home one day a week to do the creative marketing work that is all but impossible to do at the office with all the interruptions. This is the second week I've been at it and I have to say I love it, less miles, gives me a bit of a mental refresh mid-week and the creative work invigorates me. I'm able to smoke my pipe while working now which I feel adds to my creative process. If only I could make this work full time!
Anyways I was introduced to the wonders of Dunhill MM 965 a few weeks ago and I'm just loving this blend. Two weeks in a row I've kept my favourite pipe for the day I'm working from home and loading it with MM 965. It is my Brigham Chinook 426 and is my best smoker, but introducing it to 965 has created that magical pairing of pipe and tobacco that I've read others discovering. Minimal re-lights, fine white ash and just a perfect smoke both weeks. I may just have to dedicate this pipe to the blend so I can truly enjoy the flavours that 965 offers. I am a bit of a wet smoker still, although getting better, so next week's experiment will be to use a rock maple filter with 965 to see if that alters the flavour at all.
Happy smokes all, hope your day is as good as mine so far. :puffy:
Brian

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Ahhh, working from home. I work from home at least once or twice a week, I love it. Just make sure to get your work done and don't spend too much time on the forum. (Like I'm doing right now... :) ) I don't work out of an office at all, and most of my week I'm on the road, so I don't do a traditional 9-5 day. Some days I'm out at 7am, other days I don't get out until noon. My day ends when the work is done, or I decide to surrender...
Today I'm at home because of the snow, which still hasn't hit Ottawa yet, so I may head out for a bit...

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Don't get caught out in this Ghost, it's a shit show of a snow storm and it's headed up your way.
EDIT -- To stay on topic... I am envious of those of you who have the chance to both work from, and smoke in, your homes. This just isn't in the cards for me, but I'm glad that you guys get to reap the benefit of good planning, insightful workplace policies and empty homes.
Brian, congrats on getting to your killer pipe and 'baccy combination. That's awesome news!
-- Pat

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
It still hasn't hit here yet, but one of my retail accounts in Kingston just said they are closing early due to the storm. Loverly.
Back on topic, some of my best pipe moments have been while working at home. Typing out emails on the laptop and not focusing on the pipe lends itself to keeping a nice cadence going, at least in my experience.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I tend to work in spurts during the creative process so I get an idea and I lit it sort of percolate in my head for awhile before acting on it. Sometimes that process can take a few hours, then I'll knock out the writing in minutes as the flood gates sort of open. Its a weird process but it works for me. That's how I can surf this site a little while still getting things done. Good advice though and I generally try to write down all the things I need to complete for the day so that I stay on track.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I've been a full-time freelance writer -- working at home, of course -- since 2000. Even though I occasionally toy with the idea of getting back into an office -- I do miss the kind of camaraderie and perspectives that can come with having coworkers -- I have a feeling it would require a lot of effort to be a "good employee" again. I'm so used to living on my own schedule, taking lunch whenever I want, running errands when I need to, listening to music (or enjoying the silence!), checking in with our cat throughout the day, etc., etc.
That said, there's been a strong move among companies in the last two years to bring their work-at-home employees back into the office. So kudos to those who have been able to work out even a one-day-a-week arrangement.
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
rsuniv:
Yeah, the flip side of office work is dealing with arbitrary rules (I've never liked having to follow someone else's dress code), poorly equipped (or tyrannical) managers, gossip, too many layers of bureaucracy.
As for the camaraderie of coworkers. . . I've made up for that by being active in a professional writers association, where I can visit with a 1,000 of my colleagues when I need/want to.
Bob

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Brian,
Congrats on both getting to work from home and finding that magical tobacco/pipe love affair. I worked from home today and created some proposals on the patio with a nice strong cup of coffee and a bowl of McB HH ODF. It is in the 50's today so working inside didn't seem practical after the winter we have had. Now that it appears it is going to rain the laptop came inside but I will enjoy a bowl of something since I just finished lunch. It is on these days that I try to have some me time, but I do find that I work until about 8pm, so I don't get the guilt factor.
While we are discussing Chinooks, mine just seems to love Brigham Klondike Gold and Wessex BCDF. Two different types of baccy but I don't notice any ghosting between the two. I think I may run my last few coins of my open tin (now jarred) of Escudo through the Chinook this afternoon.
BTW - I am not the big money bags you are to acquire that Stanwell Nanna Ivarsson N4, so I haven't followed you off of the bridge yet.......but I WILL :nana:
Cheers pal,
Dan

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
BTW - I am not the big money bags you are to acquire that Stanwell Nanna Ivarsson N4, so I haven't followed you off of the bridge yet.......but I WILL
LOL Dan, I'm no money bags either, far from it in fact. However I got it for 40% off on IPSD so the hit was only slightly more than a Brigham Chinook. Keep looking, you'll love it I'm sure!

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Oh I DOOOOOO love the looks of her, trust me. I will keep my eyes open for it. I usually peruse all of the major sites from time to time and find a bargain or sale here and there which prompts me to purchase.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Brian, like you I consider myself lucky to be able to work at home, perhaps luckier - I usually manage to work at home the second half of the week, the first being committed to clinical duties.
I tend not to go in to the research institute except for specific meetings, otherwise I am likely to be distracted by door-knockers and I am just as susceptible to the draw of the cafeteria as anyone else. I work better at home, not least because the pipe aids concentration!
On the other hand I don't get away with 2-3 days complete seclusion since my Other Half (a part-time research nurse) takes Thursday and Friday off and finds other ways of distracting me!! LOL

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I get about the same as you've just got around 1 day a week if I can swing it to work from home - where I can get stuff done. Being able to smoke my pipe and work from home is a magical combination for sure.
@brdavidson I have the same thing when it comes to creative spurts. The worst is when it happens just as I'm lying in bed. If I don't do something about it then, its lost forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.