PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Good morning everyone,

Just thought I'd vent my frustration over my supervisor forgetting above all things to renew his security license and allowing me the oppurtunity to now sit at this desk and complete all his clerical work at roughly half his pay. Most of which I will probably complete before lunch and sit here smiling and waving at all the other people coming and going while I am stuck here til 2200. Been here for a few hours now and you all and this site may be my only saving grace. So I hope everyone out there has a better day than me and hopefully you all will keep me entertained. Here's to a shorter work week for most of you; sadly those doen't exist for me. Please light up a bowl for me.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
It does seem to happen a lot around here that I end up covering someone... The overtime is nice but If I get more than a handful of hours I lose most of it to taxes anyway. Ironically I still won't make enough for the government to keep hardly any of it. It's still a pain; I could always use the cash instead of having to wait til next year for a refund. There is a lot of tobacco out there I need to stock up on. I really have to wonder if I'm ever going to get a bump in pay for this non-existent Assistant Supervisor post I keep ending up working. I already have the authority, might as well pay me well.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I almost always work seven days a week. This past weekend was the first time since last July that I took three days off in a row. It was nice to spend time with my wife and daughter. But I'm back at it today, an hour and a half into work and I've got tons of cars in the shop for the guys to work on.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've worked 6 days a week for over 35 years in my father's business. It didn't seem odd to me, that is what it was.
When I took over I changed it to 5 days a week and I can't believe how quickly I got used to it.
Now 5 days seems long.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
6 days a week would almost seem like a blessing if I could work 48 hours and be done with it... lately I usually end up keeping my weekends, but average about 60 hours a week. Spending more time at work than at home wasn't really what I had in mind after I got out of the service; It'd just be nice to sit down to a family meal that wasn't on a Sunday.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
12 hours to go; paperwork done and the day is just dragging... It's even decided to start raining before I take my first break. Oh well at least I have a nice warm cup of coffee.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
When I worked for GM, I worked every hour available, and only missed 4 days of scheduled work in 35 years. During this time I worked many double shift so I could afford the house or man toy that I wanted. Now I'm retired and while I keep busy around the house, I (unlike some retired friends) understand and participate in retirement. I do not take jobs, I also do not charge friends if I chose to make someone a custom log bed or other hand crafted items. I enjoy my time and do not want to be tied to a job at this point in my life. I thought of taking a winter job as a ski instructor, but I didn't think I could stand to be stuck on the beginner slopes on prime ski days. It's just me, but I like the luxury of deciding what to do on any given day.
Boy that was a bunch of rambling around.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Man, I remember being on doubles in security work. One time when an ice storm hit Dallas, I was stuck on the job for 48 hours. We had to cheat and allow one man to sleep a while while the other two watched the doors. Good thing nobody was braving the ice to come into work those days.

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I have been working 6 days a week 12.5 hours a day since Easter Sunday.... all 6pm until 6:30 AM.. I feel your pain. Finally stops this Saturday and can go back to my 40 hour a week life. That was before I joined this Forum and posted all these posts... I look forward to having time to look at this forum from home, where maybe I can see all the pictures you guys post as my work firewall filters them out.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
I'm fortunate enough in that I can still smoke at work. One of the head county guys is supposedly trying to change that though.
On average, I work 90+ hours a week between a main job and 2 p/t jobs so it's nice to be able to relax a little and have a couple pipes throughout the day.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I worked a lot of overtime at Exxon in my younger days, paid for a lot of things families need without going in debt, made Foreman and went on salary, bummer, salaries for new foremen were kept low for a couple years testing your commitment , but it got better , a lot better. After 31.5 yrs retired, cancer , prostate, and I was ready to go. Head knocker at retirement said Bradley come build and start an Ethylene Plant like you did here, I asked him where? He said Singapore, I did my Cajun act and said Where is Dat? He said Asia. I told him with all respect I was there once and they was shooting at me, I made the sign of the cross when I left, NEVER AGAIN.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Well I survived and thankfully He'll be doing his required training in the evenings so I won't have to keep at it for the rest of the week. Thanks for keeping me company guys. Boy! Did I ever enjoy that bowl on the drive home late last night. Take care.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
At my work we only work double shifts if we choose to, but for the last 8 hours of it you get double time, so sometimes it's worth it. This way you do a double and then take a few days off. Now I'm in a permanent position so I really don't do them anymore, did one last week, but man, it's hard to work 16 hours straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.