PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
Hey Gents,
Anyone else dislike when there are social events at work? I tend to not go to these because, quite frankly, they are forced and take up time I could be spending getting work done. My boss made this morning's social event mandatory by calling it a "staff meeting". Here is what was on the docket: Group singing, trust exercises, and storytelling. I'm not anti-social by any means, but work is for work, and I do not care to listen to a science teacher play his acoustic guitar while singing "Wonderwall". I am just getting out of college, I thought being forced to listen to people sing cliche songs while playing the same 3 chords was over.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Psyc go to the damn thing, put on a shit eating grin, you don't want to make the world think bad about pipe smokers. Sing a bad song so off key they will never invite you but scurry away if they even think you will attend. LOL

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Fortunately I have been self employed most of my life but when I wasn't, I hated those events too. Unfortunately, attendance really is a necessity (even if not mandatory) so I went and played the game. I can't say that I ever liked going but usually had a pretty fair time once I was there - it has always been my goal to have fun doing whatever, whenever, wherever if at all possible.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm with Brad to a point. Those things are important for your career, especially if you are just starting out. I was in senior management for many years at a big company and while not all of our affairs were especially fun they do give senior management a chance to learn about you. They are a chance to show people what you're made of and how you conduct yourself in social/business surroundings. You may also find that you'll develop strong relationships among your peers that could be valuable later on.

Yes, they can be a pain if there are other things you could be doing, but by not being there you are cutting your chances for advancement. Don't look at it as sucking up but, rather career enhancement.

I promoted many very good people based on the interactions we had during meetings of this type. It's your chance to shine, so take it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I'm with Brad and Papipeguy. Drink a large coffee, put a smile on and go 'get 'er done'. This is a part of the gig that falls under the "Is a team player" box on performance reviews. I sympathize with you, because some of these events are incredibly hokey and painful. But think about it this way, if you're thinking this, there are likely other colleagues who are thinking the same... which means that on one level the exercise worked, as it gave you and your colleagues something you can relate to, together.
-- Pat

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I'm with Brad and Papipeguy. Drink a large coffee, put a smile on and go 'get 'er done'.
+1
I have to go to these types of events myself. Filled with small talk, which I cannot stand. Just so many ways one can discuss the weather - lol!
But I grin and bear it because it's part of my job...

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
go and at least act like you are enjoying yourself.. there are folks taking notes and lack of enthusiasm, team support, yadda.. may pop in your performance review.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
When I wrote this, I had already gone. I go to all of the mandatory ones, and have gone to a handful of non-mandatory ones. In my job, you get really good at putting on a fake smile. I understand the importance of participating. I was more looking to see what other people thought of these events.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Seems most people agree with you, psych. In fact, in all my years I've only known a few people who claimed to actually enjoy them. You have a lot of company!

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm with most of the "team" above. Necessary evil.
I'm fortunate in that my company only does this once a year at a week long AGM, and we usually stay at a resort of some kind. Still, I always cringe when I see "fun role-playing", "team building exercise" or other such nonsense on the agenda. They are constantly evaluating you.
Granted I'm in sales so the ability to "turn on" the charm is part of the job. (I may also be the most introverted salesperson on Earth, but I get by...)

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Wow, this is exactly why I hate the corporate world. Mini hitlers making you dance around. I'm technically self employed, so no one makes me do trust exercises with their genitals etc, but I am, for the sake of my career and reputation, encouraged to go to events in London every few months, which are invariably black tie dinners. It's very nice, though never a cheap weekend.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Whatever happened to a job well-done without all the smiley, touchy, crap? Can you tell how I feel about it????

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't think anybody likes these things. Especially those "mandatory" ones.
The oganization I work for is religious based and we have a few days a year we have to attend staff functions. I have always been of the mindset that being a team player is critical so I try to attend them with an open mind and make the most of it.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
In the 80s Exxon told me that my crew and I were going to go to a Ranch Resort in Texas for a Team Building excersie they flew us there in the Hill Country. My crew was not happy. Higher Corporate Corpusles were there. One excerise was building a boat with tarps and Plastic barrels.Told my crew we are gonna win this damn thing or you gonna pay for it when we get back. We built the boat and won the race in the little rinkadink river they had. Even celebrated by throwing the Big Cheese in the river. He put on a smile but I could tell he was not happy. Well this fired up my crew and we went on to win every event they had. At the Big Fanalie they gave out awards and named us Brads Bulls, don't think the Corpusles liked us. Back at the Plant the Manager came by and told me You could have let them win one. I told him I didn't know Exxon hired such a bunch of Pussies. We never went on a team building event again.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I did a stint with a Japanese brokerage house in London in the 1980s. Every morning the President used to come round and say good morning to everybody on the trading desk before we engaged in the obligatory exercises etc. Some months later I was dumped with a bunch of the Japanese new intake. They were very nice boys but some what easy to corrupt. My associate was told to think up ways of building team spirit. After some reflection I decided the best way was to take these fellows down to the local pub on Chiswell Street every lunch time. After a few times I decided to raise the bar a little and asked Mr. Matsamoto the following...."What is the special English phrase I taught you?". After a few seconds he would respond...."Arhhh. It is my round. What you want to drink?". After a few weeks of drunken lunch times I decided to extend the team building by taking my not so green interns from Japan to football and rugby matches which all involved the consumption of mass quantities of booze. The Japanese suddenly became quite human and even started to ask questions about the hirachy of the firm and worse still in the eyes of management started wearing colorful ties instead of resembling extra's from the cast of Men in Black! I thought everything was going swimmingly well until the MD called me into his office and stared at me from behind his desk and said "Simon-san when we let someone go we feel we have failed but inyour case we are making an exception!". I was fired and my poor Japanese interns were sent back to Tokyo to be reprogramed. I don't do team building stuff to this day and being self employed I don't have to deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.