PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Okay , now that we got a thread on words and phrases we love, why don't we do one on the ones that we just can't stand ? I'm speaking about language uglies that have crept into modern day usage. Usually these words and phrases vanish after 10 or 20 years; these are a few of the ones that currently make me crazy :

Represent ( still trying to figure out what this means in modern slang)

Double down : I see newscast reporters using this one a lot

Man up : I really despise this one; grew from a couple of political seasons ago and is still in use.

Any more to add to the list?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
"Do you know who I am?!?"........ When I was bouncing that was a sure way to end up at the back of the line.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Whatever. When someone dismisses me with the word "whatever" I feel like smacking them.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
"Let's put a pin in that" ... middle management speak for "I don’t feel like talking about that right now."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah, I think we've just done this at considerable length. Better not start over.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
People who start a sentence with "So" as in "So I went into town today..." really get my goat plus those who keep saying "like" as in "...when I saw him he was like really tall, but I had heard he was like really short".
Sad that these Americanisms have made it across the pond and we have to put up with them on a daily basis.
It's nothing short of linguistic lazyness in my view and should be scorned at by every opportunity.
Just my tuppenceworth folks :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.