Woodworkers/Furniture Makers: let's see your creations.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
I was browsing pipe cabinets and standup ashtrays on ebay, and it got me thinking about a couple of fleeting mentions of some forum members being wood workers and furniture makers.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see your creations.

Post 'em if you got 'em.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Daniel, great idea. Here are a few of mine. Walking sticks and part of my family.
I definitely want to see what others have created.
oei3lBt.jpg

lv37e7s.jpg

K

klause

Frank, I love the sticks - what do you coat them with? Varnish, oil or wax?
My latest piece:
Hedgerow-Crafts-Library-Chair-Jason-Robards-10.jpg

Hedgerow-Crafts-Library-Chair-Jason-Robards5.jpg

Hedgerow-Crafts-Library-Chair-Jason-Robards.jpg

Hedgerow-Crafts-Library-Chair-Jason-Robards2.jpg

Another tamper:
PipeTamperForWeb.jpg

I whittle in the evenings in front of the fire. I did a new twist on a tamper last weekend, I'll get pics up later if I can.

K

klause

My first chair was created out of curiosity – what to do on a cold dark winters night, in front of the fire, with minimal materials and tools?
I had been reading about craftsmen using the most basic tools to create objects of beauty and practical application. John Surlis and his Leitrim chair really struck a cord – I was awed by the simple beauty and elegance of his creation – I wanted to make a chair. But, could it be done without an axe, or shave horse? I only had a handsaw, pocket knife, and a bit and brace. So, I read some more and then set to.
Having selected some Hazel, which was very green, I began to cut, whittle and drill, without any clear plan – trusting in the materials and tools to take me where I wanted to go.
I ended up with this:
greenwood-chairs-7.jpg

I still have this chair. Of all the chairs I have made over the years it is still my favourite. That chair taught me what to and what not to do – what I could and could not do – what I needed to learn and practice. It is very rough and ready, and not the most comfortable. But, it is very sturdy, functional, and actually, to my eyes, quite beautiful in its shabby roughness.
I like to think I have progressed a little since then!
But, sometimes, I look at it and it grounds me, and returns me to where I need to be.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Klause, Those are very beautiful and artistic pieces that you made. Would love to know more about the processes and wood types. Bark on or off and finishing processes. Your area for finding the material. Need a whole essay here on gluing, drying, sanding, assembling material. :worship:

K

klause

Mcitinner, wow! Thank you - I'm blushing a little here.
I'm just in the process of 'going public' with my work, and getting pictures, descriptions, and write ups together. As soon as I have something put together I'll post.
Thanks again.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
klause, love the chairs. Using that green wood must have been difficult. The tamper is awesome.
I tried my hand at a chair once. Much like you, I went the route of primitive tools. Anyway, ever see the movie The Patriot, with Mel Gibson? He spends days making a wooden chair, and when finished, he sits on it...and it breaks apart. That was my chair. I never attempted that again.
I use 6-8 coats of minwax stain, sanding between each coat. Then 4-5 coats of sealer. The sealers I use depend on the stick. Wax, poly, oil, or varnish.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
I made this locking journal box out of black walnut and birdseye maple. The corner joints are miters, but with handmade "keys" out of birdseye maple. The lock is full mortise and hand-fitted. It was a graduation gift for my son. The inner lining pulls up to become a secret compartment, and I also turned a matching pen out of black walnut, on my lathe. (I later made him one of olive wood imported from Jerusalem.) I picked the lining material and all the hardware. It took me about... two weeks to make, but if I set my mind to it, I can turn out a box like this in about 3-4 days.
Journal+Box+1.jpg

DSCF8594.JPG

DSCF8597.JPG

DSCF8602.JPG

Journal+Box+5.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice pics fellas. You guys have talent, and a little too much free time. I'd like to build a pipe cabinet but alas, no workshop. I've already destroyed the man cave with my pipe refurbishing adventures. I'm sure the lil lady would put me in the dog house if I drug a table saw into the house.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
Frankenstein, I love that box. And black walnut is one of my favorite woods. I can carve, but I cannot build. Go figure.
Dan said, "You guys have talent, and a little too much free time."
As for me, I have no idea what free time is. I sleep 3-4 hours a night because I have too many irons in the fire. Between my business, part time work, volunteer work, traveling, and spending time on this forum, I've been told I am the poster child for the 24/7 campaign.
But I love life and what I do, and that makes it easy.

frank13

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2014
Bakersfield, CA
Thank you. I have made several boxes in this same style, but smaller. This was my most ambitious project, to date. As you can well imagine, it's pretty heavy. Wall thickness, including the top, is all just under 1/2."
I love working with walnut. By far, it's the easiest hardwood that I've worked with. It mills nicely, sands easily, and assembles without a lot of fuss, and the wood isn't prone to a lot of movement. I have a bunch of quartersawn white oak in my shop, but good grief... That stuff is really tough on my tool steel. :P

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jason, I love those chairs! Keep us posted.
Frankenstein, the box is beautiful.
My brother is a master carpenter/cabinetmaker, I was the "shop assistant" (which means hold it, and don't ask too many questions!) during the winter months, and did a lot of the staining and finishing. My brother, if it's made of wood, he can make it. He's done furniture, desks, bookshelves, cabinets, and for a while a few years ago we were doing wine cellar racks and cabinets, some fairly large projects. Wish I had some pictures...

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
While I currently live in Florida, I was born and raised in the Adirondack Mountains of Upstate New York. My Graddad and my Dad supplemented their incomes by making and selling Adirondack-Style chairs and benches. I supplemented my own income by keeping the shop clean, planing the raw boards, and making hardware runs. I never made more than a few bird houses. When I started dating my wife, I decided that I wanted to give her a gift no other guy my age probably could. I went home for summer break from college and build the first and only Adirondack Chair I ever made. Now, these chairs normally sit outside. They tend to get left out in the weather and get reclaimed back into nature after several years. My wife keeps hers in side, and is still in our house. I don't have the pictures of when I was building it anymore (old flip phone at the time), but here it is. I never put a finish on it, but it has gained a nice patina over the last 5 years.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
@indianafrank What area abouts? I'm from a small town called North Creek right on the Hudson. We're about 40 minutes north of Lake George. I used to work as an actor playing a train robber at our train station. 'Bout the only thing our town was famous for was the station the Teddy Roosevelt took when he learned McKinley was shot. My Dad once reenacted Teddy for Bull Moose Days too.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
First one is a pie safe. What can't be seen is this picture is the punched tin panels. Each one has over 1,000 hand punched holes to form a pattern. The second one is a bed I made from trees that were removed from my lot in the Colorado Mtns, before I built my log house.
I decided to take up a hobby, (woodworking) because I figured it would be cheaper than another exwife. My dad always advised to stick to your strengths and leave your weaknesses alone. I found out I was weak in the marital skills, but better at woodworking. I'm currently working on a heavily hand carved replica of a New Mexico chest from the 1700's.

Status
Not open for further replies.