PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sidneyessex

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
Hello I have a flogglewerks all wooden pipe it smokes great I'm new to smoking, I'm looking for a woodsy blend maby and English blend I don't know to compliment the woodsy taste of the pipe. Any suggestions? I'd prefer a blend with low bite and won't break my bank

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome to the forum first off. Now you want a woodsy blend then I would say something with Latakia in it, but you may not be ready for these blends since some will bite starters really quick, if your new to smoking I would start out with a blend like 1Q since it would be very uncommon for it to bite you, but if you want a woodsy type blend then the one that comes to mind for me is Sutliff's Blend No. 5, but like said before be warned that you could get bit with a heavy Latakia.

~Ron

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums. Here's a list that some consider "woodsy". My preferences marked with asterisk:
Dunhill Standard Mixture

McClelland Frog Morton

Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop*

Dunhill Nightcap

Cornell & Diehl #841: Sha'are Orah (Gates of Light)*

Hearth & Home LJ Heart Burley*

Rattray's Marlin Flake*

Mac Baren Symphony

G. L. Pease Quiet Nights

Two Friends Redwood*

Cornell & Diehl Bayou Morning*

Savinelli Special Tobacco*

4noggins Weybridge*

G. L. Pease Triple Play, & Cumberland*

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Dang it, I was trying to remember Bayou Morning, Thanks Cortez.

~Ron

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Blends with Kentucky will probably have a woodsier taste than most. So if you're willing to take a shot in the dark,

look for tin descriptions that list it. Like Ron said above, Latakia and other dark fired leaf blends (McClelland Royal Cajun)

will have a campfire/woodsy taste, but they may not be for the beginner. No harm in trying them, though. If they don't

suit your taste now, jar them up until you're ready to try them again.
ps. I can understand your fascination with Flogglewerks, and I won't knock something I haven't tried. But I think you can

improve your pipe smoking experience by smoking a standard briar, meerschaum, or corncob pipe for the time being. Just my 2¢.

sidneyessex

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
Thank you all very much I'm new to smoking and value all of your input and I do have a cob I smoke as well I purchased my flogglewerks pipe because of its beauty and good reviews it tastes great ,but I asure you I will be getting different kinds such as briar in the future just pricy at the moment I'm going to England in may and that's an expensive vacation if you guys have any more suggestion or links to good woodsy tobaccos please keep listing them I will surely take a look and sample. Thank you!

sidneyessex

Lurker
Sep 11, 2013
another question for more seasoned smokers should I trust tobacco reviews or not some reviews say the opposite of people opinions on here so im confused on what to trust and what to spend my money on

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
The first tobacco that came to mind was Northwoods, it was so surprising that Roth noted it even without smoking it, is he knowledgeable or what? Well I have smoked it quite a bit and yes I am the reviewer that stated it was like smoking pine needles. It is VERY WOODSY, no doubt about it! It also has zero tongue bite, so if your really sensitive like me, you'll love that part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.