PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Just to name a few pipe shapes that is. I ran across this pipe and was curious what you'd call it's shape?
Newly acquired pipe with the only stamping which reads 'France' located on bottom of stem. It's really a shame I do not know who made this pipe because it's an amazingly great smoking pipe. Has a nice open draw, very light weight for its short but large stubby size. I've been searching French pipe makers in the hopes of running into this pipe design but no luck yet.
den11-11.jpg

den2.jpg

den4.jpg

den3.jpg

den5.jpg

den6.jpg

den7.jpg

den8.jpg

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
That finish isn't exactly one of a kind but I've seen French pipes that have that same finish and rustication stamped "Rouge et Noir" on ebay a bit over the past year. Red & Black.
Probably sent you down the wrong rabbit hole with that info, but that's the first thing I thought of.
I think it's a "belly" pipe. When I look at it I see a guy with a belly.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
1/8th bent brandy-apple?? Not sure what the shape would be called--but I like it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not a Dublin nor a horn, since it narrows at the top. Don't know the Woodstock shape. The finish, not the shape,

looks a little like some of the BC non-stamped pipes (if I'm remembering correctly -- I roam the web for pipes

rather manically). I like the wide ovoid stem and shank. It's intriguing you can find some really artful distinctive

pipes among the unstamped lines. I visualize these as the labors of love of young or senior inspired designers

at the machine pipe plants. Some of their work really strikes a chord, and is often inexpensive and worth

shopping for. But as the old saying goes, you have to kiss a lot of frogs -- hopefully just look them over, don't

actually buy them.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
I've seen similar shapes called a cobra.
I think if the flare on the sides continued up to the top of the bowl then it would be a cobra, I'd call it a horn because the bowl and shank are continuous. I don't usually favor blast and smooth together but I think it's cool the way it's done here.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Cool looking pipe Durham, sorry for not giving any help with name or shape not my cup of tea.

~Ron

nori

Lurker
May 23, 2014
This is "B.C. Old French red Nr.1861" replica.

http://www.pfeifenkonsulat.at/shop/index.php?a=470

And Butz Choquin sometimes put this kind of texture like this.

Lately I see Butz Choquin Dr. Boston Griffon has the same texture.

I love this pipe so much.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
That is a really attractive pipe. I like everything about it: the shape, the lines, the finish. Very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.