PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Wow, I must be a tobacco magnet. That worthy gentleman, simnetpratt, informed Woodsroad (who needs to donate some tobacco) that I liked Sutliff, so out of the blue he sends me these--and he won't even let me pay for postage! You guys are the greatest.

img_0802-496x600.jpg

Now if only I can win that pipe on eBay to try them all out...

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Looks like a great gift. I've never tried any sutliff stuff though, but I'm sure you will enjoy. Happy smoking.

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Dan is a sincere gentleman, enthusiastic about the art of tobacco and pipe.

I took a note to remind myself of him amidst my loads of work, e.g. that kept me slept for only 3 hours yesterday.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Menuhin, you have to find a way to get some sleep! Deprivation is not good. Sleep recharges the brain and dreams feed the soul. Are you in school? I remember days like that...I was once awake for 3 days finishing a film. My own damned fault, but it was kind of exciting... when I was 21. I need 8 solid hours now. And that's with a CPAP (my Dream Machine).

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
These notes bring back days, when I would see how many hours I could stay awake writing a paper before collapsing, including taking cold showers in the dead of winter in a rathole of a attic flat to keep awake--and this was in the days of the typewriter! In later years, in my late forties, I tried taking classes in Library Science and printmaking, and both classes kicked my butt. Now I'm taking a course in sculpting, working on a piece I hope to enter in the World Fantasy Convention this November, and it is really pathetic for people to have to watch me shamble about the place, hardly able to move because of arthritis and other pain issues. I'm getting cortizone injections starting this week to make it easier to move. And, Woodsroad, when I can sleep, I use a CPAP machine now, too. What would I do without my pipe and your tobacco?

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
CPAP? Continuous Pipe Applied Pressure? :)
That line of baccy is a good one...enjoy, sparrow!
Dan is one of the truly good, generous souls.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I agree.

Hang in there, sparrow. I have some clients who also live with chronic joint disease/pain. I hope the meds help and now with the added "narcosis" of some fine tobacco...you'll be creating your own David in good time.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Sparrowhawk, I'm glad to hear that my gift will help inspire great art! Not so happy to hear about your chronic pain. I've had serious lower back problems in the past, and I know what constant pain, or the fear of pain, is like.
What medium are you sculpting in?

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
@woodsroad

I'm doing research in an institute, but it always feels like a student in front of the seniors, except for those tenured or those who got a grant enough to hire people for a few years. Wrapping up projects before funding ends, submitting entry before the deadline of a competition, writing grant proposals, analyzing data and writing up models when the math PhD is not around to help... these are all reasons to be sleepless. :roll:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Dan is a great person. His efforts to revitalize and maintain the box pass should qualify him for some rather large humanitarian award.
Enjoy your tobacco!
=D

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Nice sampler woodsroad. Super generous and thoughtful! Is the bottom right tin one of those "No Name" blends from the early 1980's? :)

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Dan is a very generous and thoughtful person. But I would be wary of that unlabeled tin on the bottom right. It may be something from the "El Crappo" product line. :mrgreen:

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
As opposed to how we besmirch "El Crappo" at CMPC & LVPC? :roll:
BTW - you are thoughtful & generous but we won't blow your cover!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Actually, the black one is, I believe, the Autumn blend.

12 hours to go before the eBay auction for the volcano is over: wish me luck and prayers, guys.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You are buying a volcano? How in heaven's name are they going to ship the darn thing? And where are you going to put it? You will probably need a zoning permit, I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.