PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Some while ago I asked for (and got) suggestions for half decent bourbon whiskies for a newbie bourbon drinker. I tried a few and liked them all, particularly Jim Beam and Bulleit.
I've just been browsing my supplier's website and see they have a special offer going on 'Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey' which is 43.2 ABV and £25 for 70cl.
I don't recall if this one was mentioned (it likely was) when I originally asked so has anyone tried it and if so how is it compared to the above two mentioned?
Another one mentioned is Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 Year Old Bourbon Whiskey which sounds interesting though pricier....that might have to wait until Christmas.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'll likely be much contented with Woodford Reserve, smooth and refined but with zing.

ryeguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2017
Either Woodford Reserve or Eagle Rare is going to be good stuff, noticeably better than either Jim Beam or Bulleit.
Have you tried rye? IMHO, that's where it's at. Bourbon gets too sweet after a while, but rye has a fantastic depth of flavor.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
Looking at UK dealers online I would suggest picking up Four Roses Single Barrel before I'd buy Woodford or Eagle Rare. Also a cheaper option but top notch bourbon is Buffalo Trace.

But when your cash is a little more plentiful I highly recommend getting Blanton's Gold or Blanton's Straight From the Barrel. Two great bourbons that unfortunately aren't sold in the US. I order them from the UK but the shipping is not kind.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Woodford is good stuff indeed, and quite easy to get in the UK. Another vote for Rye though ...

Bulleit now make a Rye version which has good reviews. It runs about £30 in most supermarkets.
Mike

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Woodford is good bourbon. I just bought a bottle of 1792 bourbon, first time. Good stuff, and well priced.

Dec 28, 2015
I like Woodford. And as someone else has said 4 Roses is really good for a better price. But my go to bourbon is Old Forrester. The best value on the market in my opinion.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Jay. Lots of good comments.
Woodford is a nice bourbon- but I don't drink it much these days. I second the Four Roses and Buffalo Trace comments especially as mixers. I'm not a snob though- I like Wild Turkey 101.
Angel's Envy is my current go to bourbon.
Lately I've been on a tequila kick, but that's another post.
Please let us know what you think.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks so much for the responses chaps, much appreciated.
"Have you tried rye?"
As far as I'm aware I've never had a rye whisky but obviously I will get there at some point.
Four Roses Single Barrel is a totally new one for me so I shall check it out in the morning.
"But my go to bourbon is Old Forrester."
John, that was the first bourbon I ever tasted in a shop in a village about five miles from me that claims (quite rightly) to have the largest selection of whiskies and rums from all over the world in the south west of England!
Mike, my supplier is either the above (Constantine Stores.....look 'em up) or good old Asda :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
Woodford Reserve is a great bourbon.

And pretty much any of the buffalo trace bourbons are pretty good IMHO, eagle rare being one of my favorites for sure. If you can get Weller, for the price I think it is a very good bourbon.

Old Forrester bottled “in bond” if you have the extra money for it is excellent.

I do also agree for the price the Bulleit is a good rye.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Throw my .02 in the hat- Elijah Craig 12yr old. But all the Bourbons mentioned above are top notch.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Have to agree re Old Forrester, great buy (if you can find it).
Eagle Rare has been, and still is, my go to. I'm consistently satisfied, either straight or in a manhattan. Can't beat the price either.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Woodford, I've had...didnt leave an impression. Eagle Rare left an impression. It's made by The same folks that distill Buffalo Trace and the Winkles. So it's of the same stock, and is one of my favorite bourbons.
I prefer Scotch. And for the Bourbon heads out there trying to get into Scotch, try Knappogue Castle 12 year Single Malt Irish Whiskey. It smells like bourbon but taste like scotch. I think its a perfect way to get your taste buds around the scotch flavor. Kind of like a crossover blend.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Woodford Reserve is now ordered. Once that is gone I'll give rye a go, likely Bulleit Rye Frontier which is 95% rye and I see my supplier holds it ...thanks for the suggestions chaps.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.