PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
My favorite woodworking tool is the lathe. I love the sights and sounds of turning. The wood lathe has a potter's wheel like artistic nature in that you start with a plain lump of material and end up with something symmetrical and pretty. My lathe is a vintage Craftsman model that belonged to my father. I estimate it's age to be around 50 years. I recently got it out of storage and set up in my garage/workshop. It's so relaxing I can waste away the hours easy!
043.jpg

Cherry wood blank chucked up and ready.
044.jpg

Rounding off the blank with a gouge.
046.jpg

047.jpg

Sometimes I have an idea in my mind's eye and other times I just let the shapes come out of the wood on their own.
048-2.jpg

I love the look of the wood as it spins.
049-1.jpg

050-1.jpg

In this photo you can see a scale on the edge of the tool rest. The piece is only about 3 inches long. Larger spindles are easier to work with but for some reason I like turning little pieces.
052.jpg

I picked up a tip from somebody on this forum about wet sanding with the finishing oil while the piece is still in the lathe. I tried this with some wet/dry paper and olive oil and it does work great. Because I can machine down the wood very smooth with the tools my starting grade of sandpaper is 320. Then I went right to the wet sand with 400. I like the wet sanding technique and I will continue that method from now on.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Lots of fun. Be sure to pick up eye protection immediately and also dust collection soon. A grinder for sharpening is extremely helpful.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I agree with ohin3! It would make a lovely tamper.

Can't say that I am nearly as creative... In fact I am not creative at all :lol:

ruraldean

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2012
Others have beaten me to it, but this is a tamper-making business in the making.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks guys for the compliments.
DING DING! ohin3 was the first to recognize (or mention for that matter) my prototype tamper. I've got a couple board feet of a super dense and heat resistant tropical wood with an amazing firey grain that I'm going to create some tampers with. Stay tuned!

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Bentmike, let us know how the harder tropical hardwoods turn out, I have some Nicaraguan Rosewood that is purported to be the hardest wood to turn. Very dense and beautiful grain.
Could possibly send you a stick, 1 3/4'x 1 3/4' x 18'
Tom

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I could picture myself getting captivated by the turning wood and turning every 4x4 into a 3 inch tamper :P
I love the classic look of old iron.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I did some more wood turning.
0014.jpg

002.jpg

Used the table saw to make up some blanks of tropical hardwood.
003-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

This wood is tricky to turn not because it is very hard but because tear out is always a problem if you hog the tool and cut too much wood away. The wood is dense but around the large pores in the grain is where it likes to splinter. Patience is the name of the game.
008-1.jpg

A pipe tamper is born.

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
It looks awesome! It kinda looks like chess peices put together. Which makes me want to make a chess set now...

Status
Not open for further replies.