PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
My son has carved a couple of "wood spirit" tampers, one of which he has asked me to put on Briar Bid; the auction will start at 20:00 tonight and run a week. I thought I'd give you guys a preview in case you are interested.
photo1_zpsfd8b4dcf.jpg

photo3_zps7d32ca68.jpg

The tamper-end he used I thought was a pretty unique and cool idea: a 45 slug. It sure gives it some heft and makes sure it actually stands up, something that drives me nuts (a tamper that should but doesn't stand up).

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
That's some good work there, he's got a real future in tamper making.
My only suggestion would be to not have any grooves near the bottom of the tamper as they tend to pick up embers, which sometimes get deposited onto clothing. It is probabley far enough from the tip to not do this very often or at all, but it is hard to tell from the picture what the actual distance is. It looks really cool though and definatley will make someone happy, congrats! Being able to stand is a big plus in my book too, tampers that don't stand or easily fall over annoy the heck out of me. My little aluminum one keeps doing that! Just the other day I was reaching inside a filthy trash can looking for it, when it had actually fallen under my chair.
And your the guy selling strapons straps leather pipe holders, I am really enjoying mine.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thanks for the input.
Yes, he's a pipesmoker, too. It was a root from a fruit tree I think; it smelled kind of like apple or pear when he used the Dremel to rough out the shape. And I don't mind shipping overseas if you don't mind the cost. :lol:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Great work! I like the contrast. I love to see all the unique ideas, styles and materials that are used for tampers. Tell your son to keep up the good work.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Thank you Mike and Cody. Unfortunately, after a pretty severe cut while carving a new tamper on Christmas Day, he has almost completely stopped carving. The irony here is if he'd waited another two hours to open gifts he would've had new protective gloves, thumb cover and knife, all of which he opened when he got home from the ER. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.