PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Everyone likes pretty wood; some carvers like S. Bang are said to be able to predict grain inside the block and by this reveal grain that can be showcased, making pipes more comely than some other carver, and get a better price. I wonder if Castello has employees that read unseen grain, as well, as they sell so many beautiful smooths, but perhaps they buy ultra high-quality blocks. I've also read that 95/100 blocks have only average grain. One can just see a carver at the shaping station, seeking good grain, cutting into block after block and pitching one after another of them over his shoulder. I don't think business works that way. Then too there were firms like Barling that until ~1960 used only superior Algerian briar, of noted porosity.
Wood, then, is the main ingredient, and porosity is touted high on the list of its desired qualities, which brings me to my question. Porous wood will be lighter, a much prized attribute, as clenching requires manageable effort up to about 50g, and above 60g it becomes effort requiring labor. But I imagine that wood with this quality is also prized because it smokes dry. Most of us rest our pipes, and before packing take a look at the bottom of the chamber for the telltale black color that says the pipe needs more rest still.
I do this but question it. Whatever amount of water is in the wood at the bottom of chamber would appear only to be of concern to prevent gurgle, but usually when I have gurgle the problem is in the stem, close to the bowl. A pipe cleaner comes out moist and it is gone. In fact, I'm not sure if it ever comes from the bowl bottom, but I think it might if the pipe wasn't sufficiently dry. My thinking is that a briar that has moisture in it could not absorb the moisture released from the burn, and if this was the case, moisture would accumulate in the bottom of the bowl, causing gurgle. That's just my theory, but porous wood that could absorb more water than dense briar could then be more highly prized.
So I really don't know why porosity is valued; I just have my thinking. I wonder if this is simply myth, but Algerian briar before it ran out has such a reputation. Mention it and many guys will say ooh. Pipe sellers use it as a commendation, for instance recommending old Edwards pipes. I have several and I don't find any difference. But then again I am unable to taste the difference between briar, meerschaum and Missouri Meerschaum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't had gurgle problems with pipes except as incidental events, not happening with the same pipes. I don't have any marker for problems with various briars and finishes. I sense a difference between unfinished pipes like my four Savenelli unfinished pipes, my three Edwards/Bentons Algerian briars, and other pipes like a Jobey and Giani with high gloss varnish-looking finishes. All of these smoke well, but have a different feel. The Sav unfinished and Bentons do seem to have some kind of porous exchange with the outside and smoke cooler, whereas the glossy finishes retain a little more heat but seem to do an especially good job with aromatics. I haven't run into anything that is a bad smoke, just a distinctly different feel that I can't define or explain, but this is an interesting feature of each pipe.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I would be the first to concede that definitive proof is something we are unlikely to find BUT also agree with MSO's observation that pipes with varnish like finishes smoke differently than do those that do not. That suggests the natural ability of wood to breath probably does impact the smoking experience. It's further reinforced by our experience with Meerschaum. It's a material that is known to exhibit porosity. They usually smoke decidedly cooler than their briar cousins. Whether that has to do with better heat transfer or actually admitting air into the chamber through the pores I can't say but there is a difference. So at least to some degree porosity would seem to make a difference. How much, is in MHO, speculation.

Gurgle is something different. It's usually the result of one of several causes. Tobacco that is too moist or gaps where the tenon meets the stem. This gap causes condensation and results in gurgle. That is why a pipe cleaner will usually solve the problem. It absorbs the excess moisture. Briar absorbs very little moisture, so porosity doesn't play a significant part. Resting a pipe has much more to do with evaporation than absorption.

Status
Not open for further replies.