PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
So, how do I go about ordering bulk tobaccos other than hitting up Tinderbox locally? Apparently WA has some medieval laws forbidding online tobacco suppliers from shipping into this state...
Yet another reason to move to Arizona.

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
I'm in Auburn. just wanted to order up a couple samplers from and got an e-mail that reads;
"Thank you for your order. Unfortunately we are no longer allowed to ship Tobacco or roll your own products to WA State, per Washington law (With the exception of Large Cigars). I will have to either cancel your order, or remove the tobacco products (if there are any other items)."

Sincerely, blah blah blah

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
That pisses me off.
I'd make out a HUGE list of tobaccos and have them sent to an out-of-state friend and pay him to ship 'em to me.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It's a felony for ANYONE to ship tobacco into the state of Washington. But if they drive them over the line who is gonna know? More fun from those who think they need to nanny the world!

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Not only is it a felony for the person shipping into Washington, it is also a felony for the person receiving!
You could try Tacoma Tins (in Tacoma obviously). I haven't made it down there yet (kind of a long drive from Everett), but I understand they carry a nice stock of 'baccy. You can check out their list at http://www.lambsearfarm.com/tacomatins/tacomapipetobacco.html

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
thanks bytor... I'll run down there this saturday and let ya know how it is
side note- I'll be moving to Arizona soon... having some sent ahead and my buddy will store it for me

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
meh... nothing says I can't ship it to you in state
mood_exanimate.gif

I get free shipping at work

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
How in the hell can a state make it illegal to ship a legal product? Large cigars aren't tobacco? I would ship it to a friend close by and have them ship it to you a little extra shipping cost but if you put in decent orders you will make that up in no time.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Ah yes, government making no sense at all again. I guess the state legislature needs those stogies to get to the capital building in good stead.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I realize that the risk of getting caught is low...but there is a penalty of up to $10,000 with this law.
Not really something I'm willing to risk, or ask another to risk just to get different variety of tobacco.
Thanks for the offer, Mole...but I will politely decline.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Uh...oh ya...forgot to mention that it is a felony to mail tobacco to a Washington residence regardless of where the package is mailed from. It is illegal even from within the state.
The "rationale" behind all of this is that the State is trying to "protect the children".
They did some type of bogus survey and determined that approx. 30,000 students statewide (middle-school to high-school age) had smoked a pipe. But apparently they didn't find any that smoked large cigars (hence large cigars are a risk).
Personally, I have a hard time believing that there are 30,000 adult pipe smokers in Washington state....let alone the 30,000 students who had tried. I'm also pretty certain that the pipe most of those kids had tried wasn't meant for, or filled with, tobacco.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
I was going stop by lilbrown.com over in yakima this week, gut I had to bet back down to california.

That law realy makes no sense at all. Yes, many kids have smoked a pipe; never smoked any tobacco out of it.

tanless1

Sep 14, 2010
82nd st tobacco is just up in seattle. I was there a couple weeks ago. They've got a large selection of tins, and bulk in the back. Give them a call. They only 45min away........ I don't like driving either.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
Sigh.
Sounds like you yanks are catching up to us in Canada, and not in a good way.
Simon

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Thanks for the tip Tanless. I figure there must be few shops around the area that have a reasonable selection, but finding them is nearly impossible.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
So if there are pipes in WA (there MUST be an abundance for 30,000 kids to have their paws on one), and tobacco, it begs the question: how did it all get there? Is this some sort of legislation to support the tobacco fairy lobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.