PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Do women in general automatically steer away from male pipe smokers? They, along with men, are so programed to look down upon cigarette smokers with disgust and I was wondering if they have the same attitude toward pipers, even though the smoke is far more delightful and the experience of pipe smoking is utterly unlike cigarette smoking. What's the consensus?

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I don't think pipe smoking has ever gotten a guy laid, if that's what you're asking?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Smoking cigarettes today seems to be viewed as "dirty" or "trashy." Not that I agree with this view, being a reformed cigarette smoker, but that's the picture I get.
Pipes, on the other hand, are often viewed as sophisticated, or as being "down home" or traditional and comforting in the same way as apple pie a la mode in summer or a pumpkin-picking hay ride in fall. At worst, pipe smoking is a curiosity or an oddity, but certainly not "gross" like those "icky" cigarettes.
P.S., when I was a cig smoker, I dated girls who professed to hate cigarettes. If they are interested enough, you can get away with pretty much anything :puffy:

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I would argue it depends on the woman and/or what you are smoking. I don't often smoke something with a pleasant room note, so I am the stinky pipe guy. I have seen wrinkled noses, but only rarely do I get a pissed off look. Same thing when I smoke a pipe. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hopefully they are. They tend to get in the way of things I enjoy. Smoking, drinking, reading, sleeping, gardening etc.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wife is a cigarette smoker. When I switched to pipes, she never had anything negative to say. When I still smoked cigs she'd hated the fact that I smelled like then right before bed. And always had to comment. Now that I'm a pipe smoker she's only had good things to say. Such as the way my jeep doesn't reek like cigs anymore. Score one for the pipe smoke.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Mothernature: I have to disagree. When I was in college during the years you could smoke on campus, in the dorms, library and even classes, I had plenty of women approach me and many asked me out because they were interested in "The Pipe Smoker." When I ran a comic book shop later, same thing happened. Once, about twelve years after I finished college, I was sitting outside a grocery store smoking my pipe when a woman sat down next to me and asked if I had gone to UNC-G years ago. When I said I had, she exclaimed,"I knew it. You're 'The Pipe Smoker'! I always wanted to meet you." She proceeded to tell me how she used to follow me around campus, but she never had the nerve to come up and talk to me because she didn't know me, and that was shy about it. Then, she asked me if I was married. I said I was and added, "Where were you when I needed you?" I got a good laugh from her, and a good story out of that encounter.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
My wife discovered that I was a pipe smoker before we even started dating. She loved it. We had been dating for eight months when my birthday rolled around. She gave me a pipe, some tobacco and a copy of P&T Magazine for my birthday. I'd never tell her this, but the pipe smoked hotter than Hell and the tobacco was a Lane aromatic that did not agree with my own personal chemical make-up, and I already had a subscription to P&T Magazine. But, I loaded up the pipe with the Lane tobacco and when we sat down on the couch to relax, I asked her to marry me. I figured that with the kind of birthday gift she gave me that I'd be a dadgum knucklehead to let that gal get away. And here we are, almost 17-years later, still going strong.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I would think that the "the smell of pipe smoke reminds me of my Grandfather" could put you directly into the friend zone.

A nice herbally Virginia can open doors, but a latakia blend, and you might as well be wearing a chasity belt, but...

meme9_zps9f46282e.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Women are more repelled by beta cucks than pipe smokers. Real burly men don't care what women think, women are attracted to that.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Generally speaking, I find most women(usually more mature women) like the smell of a good pipe tobacco. My wife doesn't mind except when its "strong" smelling tobacco. As she calls it.

She likes my pipe.... :lol:

I've noticed two different things, just observations...
Some women are very attracted to guys who who seem (to everyone else) to be total dicks. Their sense of humor is based on putting everyone else down, and women flock to them.

And, then there is the sensitive, listening, always thoughtful types. Women don't exactly flock to them, but their is always that one woman who notices this guy.
The women who go for the first of these guys usually ends up having all sorts of emotional, behavioral issues.

The women who go for the second guy tends to be abusive later on.
Just be yourself, and stop worrying about it. The moment you could care less what women think of you is usually the magic moment when you meet the perfect soulmate.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
My wife has bought me pipes.
And often comments on the "room note" in the positive.
We just celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary last month, so she may just feel stuck... :D
Now if your asking about getting laid, I'm married so of course I don't know anything about that. :P

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Anyone who thinks this forum is only good for advice on pipes and tobaccos is selling it far, far too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.