Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

Women Pipe Smokers

(141 posts)
  1. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something like this? This shape has always seemed effeminate to me, though I have a short apple churchwarden (and a fine smoker it is).

http://www.briarpatch.biz/cart/Details.cfm?ProdID=38164&category=2

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on that pipe myself, by the way...not saying it isn't worth it, just that I stopped collecting some time ago and now just smoke. Makes things simpler for me.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

I think that would be a contender, especially as you consider it effeminate. I do like Churchwardens, and I think I might be leaning towards a small one. I will be using this pipe when I'm in public, so would like it fashionable (funny, I never cared about that before smoking a pipe!). At home, it doesn't matter and I enjoy a straight Lovat, then Billard.

Thank you gents for your warm welcome, and the surprising immediate assistance!

I think I may be a piper now...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

and the surprising immediate assistance!

I think too many of us are old, bored, and spend too much time reading and writing on this forum. I'm pretty new here myself and seem to fit in disturbingly too well.

Nevertheless, glad you found that shape attractive, I'll try and keep my eye out for others I think might suit a lady piper in public.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

lol. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tiny, I meant to ask earlier (and I'm sure others will be curious) what tobaccos or particular types do you smoke?

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

SG 1792 Flake
    SG Squandron Leader
    C&D Bow-legged Bear
    C&D Old Joe Kranz
    McCl Frog Morton on the Town
    McCl FM Cellar
    Mac Baren Vir No. 1
    P. Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake
    Escudo
    Kendall Ennerdale
    Kendall Broken Scotch Cake

There's a few more I can't think of offhand, and I new order coming in of new baccy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Tiny-also take a look over at SP.com and the Sav line of CWs, perhaps
    a Ginger's fav or if not in CWs maybe the Carmella line as well...or
    Pisa, graceful lines/elegant in design

Stanwell also makes fantastic smokers and their featherweight
    line are perhaps also something to consider when out on the
    town

Maybe a floral-designed Meer would be cool to have in the
    rotation as well...

Now Anne Julie makes outstanding designs, and she bases them
    off her love of flowers, but they are tough to find these days
    http://www.annejulie.com/pipes.html

Btw; great bacci line up as well

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. allan

allan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are at least three women pipe smokers at the NY Pipe club (I'm sure there are more, but I'm a new member) who either come alone, with friends or significant others. They are welcomed as any other and the ladies I've talked with are extrememly knowledgable about pipes, tobaccos, and their care. Last night at IPSD celebration at DeLaConcha in NYC, a husband and wife team came who are married for 49 years and do everything together, including pipe smoking. A wonderful thing to see.

Stereotypes are what they are-they need to be busted.

Allan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mustanggt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tiny, very nice taste in tobacco. Many of us like the same thing. I guess I better start saying "thanks ladies and fellas." Nice to have you here.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. yadan

yadan

Login to Send PM

My apologies for temporarily hijacking the thread:

"Pipe smoking demands some skill learning, and is definitely a contemplative art. Cigars are near instant gratification..."

Begging your pardon, but you must be talking about those cheap machine-made stogies that are inhaled like cigarettes. Fine hand-made cigars are sipped and tasted much like pipe smoke. In fact, cigar and pipe smokers have a lot in common. Instant gratification is provided by cigarettes and cheap sex.

Having gotten that off my chest, welcome all you femme puffers!

"I'm always easy to please since I'm always satisfied with the very best." - Oscar Wilde
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We have several ladies at the Seattle pipe club, all very nice all knowledgeable. It's my understanding that pipe smoking is experiencing a bit of a resurgence among men. I wonder if women are too.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. crazypipe

Teddy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Ditto, Yahan! I think the cigar/pipe malel sterotype came from the US Industrial age, as there has long been female smokes, and there were many pipes made for women in the Victorian age.

The 50's had a resurgance and there were pipes marketed for women, and I do believe that is about to ramp up again thank goodness! I have met, and guided quite a few new cigar smokers, young men in their early 20's, and a couple are starting the pipe also along with me.

I started with an initial intent to smoke my fine cigar nubs! Too expensive and good to waste However, my pipe met baccy first, and hence has seen few nubs and only when I ran out of my first baccy sampling!

I'm smoking 1792 now, and thank you for the compliment. I find old threads regarding baccy for women very funny: "aros" (yee gawd) and "something light."

Thanks for the fine recs on the pipes - think there is a few more candidates. I do like the Meers, and there are quite a few that stike my feminine sensiblity. The Altinok Maria is presently in the lead (on Puff; I'm TTecheTTe on it and SmokersForum). I have learned that men and women have very different veiws on how they perceive "feminine;" hence, I do want at least one pipe that is selected by males.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have learned that men and women have very different veiws on how they perceive "feminine;"

"Feminine" is totally subjective. If a woman likes it, it's feminine - at least for her!

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Ditto, Jud! That's why I'm selecting a pipe from the male perspective to smoke in public.

Although more feminine pipes would be welcome at home, I don't much care provided it is a good, cool smoker. Don't have a prob in that regard as there are many fine seletions. I would love to have a big bowled "manly" pipe (perhaps a giant Bulldog) right now! Keeping a smoke of 1792 going in my "feminine" little MM Apple is driving me nuts!

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Instant gratification is provided by cigarettes and cheap sex.

Well, you're half right

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. lifeon2

lifeon2

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kaywoodie made a pipe called the lady the were kind of sparkly.

You may call me "HerrDoctor"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the site tiny. I think it is great you are into pipes. Your choice of tobacco is exceptional, some real classic blends you are smoking. Here are a few pipes that I think you might like. All of these are estate pieces that are in pristine condition and in my opinion very good deals. I am not sure of your price range but if you give me an idea I can give you even more choices. I love shopping with other peoples money, as well as my own. These pipes are all in the group 4-5 range which in my opinion would be a good size for you plus they will all smoke flakes very well.

http://briarblues.com/joho76.htm
    http://briarblues.com/mj019.htm
    http://briarblues.com/jj073.htm
    http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee1752.html

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

@thesmokindragron I do like the Savanelli, esp the CWs, Pisa being a fave! Rusticated, I do do love them; very interesting suggestion as I always thought they were masculine! I do like that Ginger, and am now considering for my night time smoker upon yor rec. The Tortuga struck my fancy, as well as the Bing's.

I also found a beautiful freehand that looks like a rose, and is more beautiful than some roses I have found. $500 is out of my price point, but favorited it for when I'm ready to treat myself. It reminds me of Anne Julies beautiful pipes you rec'd, and is much more affordable: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=100523

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Pipe Shoppe has H.I.S. italian made mini churchwardens at a decent price. Long stem, slightly smaller bowl. My girl like to steal mine when I'm smoking my other pipes, she says it's cause it's the most girly of them(I'm going to assume she means the curves and gracefully sweeping stem). Of course she only smokes a pipe once in a while at my house...so there is that. Though H.I.S. is one of those really decent pipe for the cost brands. I have two of theirs and they are both excellent smokers.

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

flmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the forum Tiny. You will find the members here are very helpful and friendly. Please feel free to ask any questions.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

@flmason, thank you, and yes I found that true from the start as my first post was just to raise my hand to say "here's another lady piper!" Again, thank you all for a most gracious welcome!

@lifon2 That KW Lady is definitely a "ladies pipe!" It is a "hers," and not will not be confused with "his." Fits my desired goal of a pipe that a man (most) wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole! It is much prettier than those I've found with Swaroski crystal bands, and gave me the idea to add them to my pipes!

@cigrmaster Second surprising rusticated suggestion! That Mastro is striking - what a beautiful pipe. I love the very unusal color, its beautiful grain and beveled bowl (which is similar to an Imp that I'm looking at). Will give me a bigger bowl for my 1792 and SL; think it would be perfect for that dedication.

@joshwolftree Would you like to pick one for me? At that price, maybe two!

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well I have style B and it smokes well, that's the first one she grabs for when she wants a pipe, granted mine is ghosted with CAO Eilleen's dream, and the top is scorched and mishapen do to less than careful use of a bic lighter (I have three pipe zippos on the coffee table with the pipes, and she uses the newport bic) I'm thinking maybe for her birthday I'll pick her up a style C it has kind of a classic Victorian era ladies pipe feel.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

I will go with that then (was also leaning towards it)! Also picking up a marbled clay...

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

ooh did you see the marcus fohr clays?

the style 15 is pretty sweet

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Yes I did! I was very tempted, but decided I couldn't go wrong at $8.50 for my first try. Still, the 15 is the most beautiful I've seen and the price is reasonable - cheap compared to other clays I've seen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also if you google rose meer, they do carve some very nice ones,
    as well as CW meersl; CW meers look to sell for around
    $150./plus shipping(new/unsmoked)

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Yes, I've been looking at the Altnok Maria and an Imp.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keeping a smoke of 1792 going in my "feminine" little MM Apple
    Hey Tiny, can you post a pic of your pipe? I am trying to find the right pipe as a gift for my girlfriend. It would be her first pipe. She's never smoke this kind of pipe before.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also found a beautiful freehand that looks like a rose, and is more beautiful than some roses I have found. $500 is out of my price point, but favorited it for when I'm ready to treat myself. It reminds me of Anne Julies beautiful pipes you rec'd, and is much more affordable: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=100523
    I just checked this out. I'd snap it up in a second if I hadn't recently bought a Boswell. I am in the market for a "redish" pipe. I love that Savi though... mmuusssstttt..... rrreeee.....ssssiiiiitttttt......

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some new stuff listed today over at SP.com looks like it might
    also have potential

The CWs here in both Apple (smooth or blast) as well as the Brandy
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Chacom/

Posted 1 year ago #
  32. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

@zonomo No pics - can't do anything with my Apple products, but here it is:
    http://corncobpipe.com/index.php/diplomat-corncob-pipe-with-new-choices.html

I have both the MM Diplomat Apple & Fifth Avenue, bent stems. A fine BOTL and lifelong piper recommended these to me for my first pipe and are fantastic. About to pick up the General, next.

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean you have a Mac? Thats what I use too and it works ok. All you have to do is right click an image on a website and select "Copy Picture URL". Then here in this forum, select IMG and just paste. Presto.

P.S. I just bought my first Cob. Really like them!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

| Some new stuff listed today over at SP.com looks like it might
    also have potential

The CWs here in both Apple (smooth or blast) as well as the Brandy
    http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Chacom/

-Well someone thougt so the sandblast CW apple and the Brandy
    are gone already

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

@thesmokindragon dang, I was just about to go there!

@zonomo The Macs (2) keep crashing; can't do that on an iPad, nor upload pics (which I have, alot good they do).

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

osuilleabhain

Login to Send PM

Tiny, I have an awesome Stanwell #30 estate that is petite and elegant. Love it but would entertain trade offers. Also a Sasieni Windsor #16 estate a touch larger.

Posted 1 year ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Love it but would entertain trade offers.

Osuille, you're new here but just so you know, pipe and tobacco trades are not allowed here as threads and posts. We have http://www.briarbid.com for that.

You can, of course use Private Messages (PMs) and/or Email if you wish.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@tiny: Dang. I hate computer problems.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

A friend and I were able to meet up today for a lovely lunch between our doctor's appointments and I was gifted a fine little (Royal Denmark ?) Egg (I think that may be the correct shape; it looks like a tiny Calabash but w/o the flare, and the stem is higher and more bent than a bent billard...) and it is a fine little smoker!  The size is very deceptive, as it is smaller than my little MM Diplomat Apple, yet the bowl holds twice as much baccy.  Makes for a very relaxing evening smoke!

I may dedicate this for the car, as it was great to smoke while driving and I could easily blind load the bowl at a light.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Tiny, that information is USELESS without a photo of that pipe An Egg pipe will actually make you think of an egg, but an egg and billiard and apple are sometimes confused among the more unique styles of pipes. Being shaped like a "calabash without the flare" makes me think Dublin, but I suspect that's just my mind's eye going off on a lark.

Glad to hear you have a nice addition, though, and even more glad that it's a fine smoker.

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Well, I wasn't trying to get it identified but do appreciate it! I did want to show off my fine new gift, however! I coudn't upload any pics (was going to change my avatar) so let's try this link from photobucket...

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice looking little pipe! Looks to me like a 3/4 drop billiard.

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Jud! Good to see you here, also! I was just reading about a drooping/drop Billard, and had come to that conclusion as it was identical to to Bent Billard, but the bend was longer and more severe which did give the look of Bent Eggs I have seen. This was a fine gift from Earl.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

You mean you have a Mac? Thats what I use too and it works ok. All you have to do is right click an image on a website and select "Copy Picture URL". Then here in this forum, select IMG and just paste. Presto.
    P.S. I just bought my first Cob. Really like them!

Okay, just started with Photobucket and can upload my pics from my phone there; so, here's my MM Diplomat Apple with a couple of my faves:

Posted 1 year ago #
  45. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

I just noticed all of the references to PA in a "tin," which just peeves me a little! Prince Albert was never in a tin! "Prince Albert in the can," in two sizes, is the only way he came (and will forever more, dispite the pouches and replacing the "can" with a "tub").

@joshwolftree My Marbled Elizabethan reproduction clay pipe arrived yesterday. It is incredible! I find it very feminine, and the stem stays perfectly cool even through repeat bowls. I have dedicated it to Tambolaka, a fitting choice for that precious vile weed!

And, look at the ample information which Penn Valley sent with it! I especially love the story of their small, family business in the Appalatias.

Posted 1 year ago #
  46. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Those are beautiful pipes Tiny! They look very delicate and the swirl on the pink one is pretty. Good choices!

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  47. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wow Tiny, you certainly have some very cool pipes! Congrats on getting your pics to work too. I just use SkyDrive from Microsoft. It's free and I I just drang and drop pics from my desktop onto the browser and it magically uploads.

Posted 1 year ago #
  48. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

I've only seen a few women, including me, who post regularly on this site in particular. I love everything about our wonderful hobby but what I love the most is the community. Everyone is so nice and accepting and helpful, it's great.

Posted 1 year ago #
  49. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sweet pipe keep us up to date on how it colors

Posted 1 year ago #
  50. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love everything about our wonderful hobby but what I love the most is the community.
    Well said punkrockarmy.

Posted 1 year ago #
  51. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Thanks, everyone! I am very much enjoying everything about the pipe, and fear that I may be a cigar smoker only on occasion, now!

The little Marbled Elizabethan was only $8.50 - permitting me to finally trust a clay pipe in my clumsy paws (every one I saw previously was $60-$100). I was concerned about the tiny amount of baccy that an Elizabethan (when tabacco was rare and expensive) pipe held and the quality of smoke I would get, but found it perfect for the Tambo. That was the first marbled clay pipe I have ever seen, also.

The MM Cob was my first, and the Royal Demuth Bent Billard was a gift from a friend this week. I am also happy to be able to post pics, now! (Take that, Apple, Inc!)

Posted 1 year ago #
  52. buster

buster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome Tiny. How was your experience with Penn valley pipes? I have been meaning to order from them for a while. Have you looked at their "mini church warden"?

Think slow, act fast.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  53. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

@buster Yes, exp was great! Purchased the Marbled Elisabethan clay @ $8.50 and the Mini-CW style I a@ $25. Both are exc smokers & fast ship. I will be buying more of each.

Posted 1 year ago #
  54. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

Me and my son have ordered from Penn Valley and we also had good experiences. I picked up one of the Civil War style Pamplin bowls and a reed stem. It's one of my favorite clay smokers, but admittedly it's not very classy looking. Clays have permanent place in my rotation.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  55. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

I like love the Pamplin! How classy can you get?

Posted 1 year ago #
  56. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  57. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

Those are great pics! Thanks for posting them!

Posted 1 year ago #
  58. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Eric!

Posted 1 year ago #
  59. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Does any one know who the Grand Dame of the Pipe is in the middle photo?
    Hint: Think NJ. Think UN.

Posted 1 year ago #
  60. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

No, but I've been trying to figure her out. It's before my time, but she looks familiar.

Posted 1 year ago #
  61. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Millicent Fenwick

Posted 1 year ago #
  62. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes. Congrats Tiny! Best NJ Representative ever. Don't make em like they used to that's fer sure.

Posted 1 year ago #
  63. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

The hint helped! She wasn't before my time, afterall. The pic looked early 50's, but was late 60's when I started watching the nightly news.

Here's a quote from her NY Times obit, rather apropos for this thread:
    "In a debate over equal rights for women, she once recalled, a male legislator said: "I just don't like this amendment. I've always thought of women as kissable, cuddly and smelling good." Her reply was classic Fenwick: "That's the way I feel about men, too. I only hope for your sake that you haven't been disappointed as often as I have.""

Posted 1 year ago #
  64. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Best NJ Representative ever. Don't make em like they used to that's fer sure.

She was of that now extinct species, the liberal Republican.

Posted 1 year ago #
  65. bigboi

bigboi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know I am a little late to this forum post but welcome Tiny- you have some great looking little pipes there.

Welcome to PunkRockArmy as well!!

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950
    Posted 1 year ago #
  66. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago #
  67. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tiny - did you say where you got that small clay? I'm sorry if you already did and I missed it. I am trying to "softly" introduce my fiancee to pipe smoking.

Posted 1 year ago #
  68. tiny

tiny

Login to Send PM

I think so, but it's Penn Valley. The story of this small family biz is most interesting: http://www.pipeshoppe.com/aboutus.php

Posted 1 year ago #
  69. ronin61

ronin61

Login to Send PM

My Grandmother smoked a pipe. She smoked a straight corncob with Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco. I also know of a woman at my job who smokes pipes as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  70. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks Tiny. Great story of that store.

Posted 1 year ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   smokeybear, cfreud, briarfriar, smokeytay33, minfarshaw, furthur73, weezell, hitman, wyfbane, tbradsim1, allan, msandoval858, daimyo, sparks, gunslinger, pyratemate, darwin, zack24, rsuninv, agnosticpipe, pruss, papipeguy, ravkesef, northernneil, lestrout, coalsmoke, spud