PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I was going though the store today, and on an end cap they had a sale on Wolf Brand Chili. I have never heard of it before, and never tried a canned chili either. They have always kinda scared me! But since I was haveing a taste for chili, and didn't have time to make my own, I thought that I would give it a try. After all how bad can it really be! WOW!!! this stuff is good, even great. Right amount of beans,meat, and spice. I was just about licking the bowl! I would say it is actually the 2nd best chili I have ever had, and is far better then what I make. Now if I could just find a copycat recipe I would be in chili heaven!!
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for, know anyone, and am not being paid by Wolf Brand Chili

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
That has been our canned go to chili for years, wife loves it to make super Nachos, it is very good. She adds a liberal amount of Cut jalapanos to it and it makes it even better.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Wolf Brand is the best canned chili out there.

watch

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
This one is supposed to come close:

CINDY REED'S "CIN-CHILI" CHILI
Cindy Reed was the 1992 and 1993 Terlingua International Chili Championship Winner.
STEP 1:

2 lbs beef chuck tender cut into 3/8-inch cubes

1 tsp cooking oil

1 tbsp dark chili powder

2 tsp granulated garlic
In a three quart heavy saucepan, brown the meat in oil; add the chili powder and garlic while browning the meat.
STEP 2:

1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce

1 (14 1/2 oz) can of beef broth

1 tsp chicken bouillon granules

1 tsp jalapeno powder

1 tbsp onion powder

2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)

1 tsp ground white pepper

16 oz (2 cups) spring water

1 tbsp dark chili powder

2 Serrano peppers

1/2 tsp salt
Combine tomato sauce, broth and seasonings for Step 2 and add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Float 2 Serrano peppers on top.
STEP 3:

1 tbsp paprika

1 pkg Sazon seasoning (MSG)

1 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp ground white pepper

5 tbsp total medium and dark chili powders
Combine seasonings for Step 3 and add to beef mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. You may add water or beef broth for consistency. Remove Serrano peppers when they become soft.
STEP 4:

2 tsp ground cumin

1/8 tsp salt
Add ground cumin and 1/8 teaspoon salt and simmer for 10 minutes.
Source: Cindy Reed

Jan 8, 2013
I'm in Texas and love Wolf Brand Chili... so yes happyjacks, Texans really do eat the stuff. They have some new Texas recipe chili now too that is far better than the original. But hey, who cares? The original is pretty awesome on its own. Heck... I'll even eat the stuff cold out of the can.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Funny thing about regional tastes. When I lived in Texas, I made a pizza - crust and all from scratch - in the style that any self-respecting "Eyetalian" would from the NYC area. I brought it over to a fellow coach's house so we could all enjoy it.
His wife remarked, "Would taste even better if it had Velveeta cheese...
I almost gagged when I heard that. Reminded me of one of the Seinfeld episodes when Kramer got into an argument about what to put on an Italian pizza... :P

Jan 8, 2013
happyjacks said
Don't disgrace the whole state, son. It's Illegal to have possession of a can of Chili in any Texas towns limits.
There is a help line you can call.
You just don't know what your missing happyjacks. I suggest you try this... get a can of wolf brand, and some Holmes Smokehouse pork and venison sausage (also made in Texas)mix it up, heat, and add some shredded colby or cheddar. Dang good. By the way that Holmes Smokehouse goes great in a can of Ranch Style Beans too. ;)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
It is good stuff ,two squirts of ketchup and some jalapenos with a bunch of crackers and lunch is served . I live in Texas and I eat canned chili and I like it with beans . Wolf brand beats the hell out of Hormel any day .Only chicks don't fart . :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.