PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My wife asked me to ride along with her(thank God I did) to deliver some items she sells. On the way back home on a two lane road, I saw "someone" pushing a bike across the road. Quite slowly I might add. I told my wife "watch that bicycle" and she slows as the person pushes the bike into the opposite lane and unfortunately the oncoming driver never saw them. The impact happened just as my wife drove to the shoulder of the road. We saw the pedestrian when hit and they landed about 100 ft from impact. 15yr old boy. Dead.

My wife was devastated and I shaken a bit. Please everyone be careful this week while driving to see loved ones.

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Voorhees, I saw a terrible road accident in the city at about this time last year. While I didn't witness the accident itself (it involved a pedestrian and a bus) I did walk by just afterwards, and got far too clear of a look at the victim. Without going into details I can safely say that it was worse than anything I'd ever seen in a horror movie. I was very shaken and remained so for a while afterwards, but you have to realise that such tragedies are simply a part of life and, while you were unlucky to have witnessed it, the fact remains that you did, and you just have to get on with it. My sympathies to you and your wife.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Seeing a terrible thing like that can be devastating. Please keep an eye on yourself and you wife for symptoms of PST. Seeing a death like that can have a forever altering affect on you both. My sympathies to you both and a prayer for the poor boy.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
What a terrible thing to see, a good time to reflect on how careful we are when driving.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Voorhees.. sorry you and your wife had to witness such a tragic accident. I have witnessed death several times in my life and it doesn't ever seem to get easier , young or old. Will keep you and yours in my prayers today.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Very sorry you had to witness that event, but I'm glad you were there to comfort your wife. I was witness to a similar event when I was fifteen and it is still vivid twenty three years later, unfortunately. It does stand as a strong reminder that we are not promised tomorrow, that you need to live and love for today. Don't be ashamed to seek counciling if you or your wife have trouble dealing with the event.
My thoughts are with both of you,

Philobeddoe

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I witnessed one last year at the main intersection near my neighborhood. My son and I arrived a few minutes after the incident took place. A young man on a sport bike lost control and didn't survive the crash. The motorcycle was in pieces and sadly he did not survive. We drove through just as police were blocking off traffic and trying to move his body off the road. It leaves a sinking feeling in your stomach and takes awhile to shake that image from your mind. I recall being frustrated after a long day at work and fighting traffic home then driving up on that scene and being reminded that I should be thankful for life and what I have.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I'm sorry you had to experience something so tragic..In my younger days I enjoyed driving.These days I'm thankful when I get back home safely.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Thanks gentleman. The wife is better, but her nerves are shot. I on the other hand am doing quite well, not because I'm heartless, but feel I need to be strong for her. My mother is that way too, always the rock. So, I guess I get it from her.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Driving is THE most dangerous thing nearly all of us do in our daily lives. People just don't understand

the physics and how deadly it is if anything goes wrong, for us or others, for those in the car or on foot

or bicycle. People who dance their vehicles through lane changes, ten or more miles above the speed

limit, while doing various distracting chores with a phone, tablet, sound system, etc., not to mention

pedestrians who go about with their ears plugged with head phones, are unguided missiles. Motor

vehicles are the predators that still feed on people, and we love them dearly.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
It is sad when a bike accident happens. I have seen bad bike accidents as well as motorcycle accidents. The scene is not pretty.
One thing I find that needs changing is why most bike riders ignore all traffic lights and road signs. When I was taught to ride a bike, my parents told me to always obey the signs and lights.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Always sad when young people are taken by tragedy and I'm sorry you had to witness that.
I work in a Level 1 Trauma Center and it never gets any easier.
Geeeeez ... as I'm typing this they just called a multiple trauma ETA 10 minutes and a Code Blue upstairs.
Could be a busy night ...
Stay safe and warm this holiday season everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.