PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
As many of you know I lost my job a little over a month ago. I have been steady putting in applications, my last count was 183. I have a phone interview today and am a little eager, just don't want to sound that way in the interview. Any advice would be helpful.

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
one of my favorite pieces of advice is the quote "Nobody knows how much confidence you have - so take all you need.".
g/l today.
doody

jameral

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
After we put a candidate through the interview process at my company, all the interviewers get together to discuss what each one thought. The same things always come up that turn us off to the person, how many times they said the word "I". "I did this...I did that...My point is try to sell yourself as best you can without sounding like you did everything by yourself. Show them how well you do as a team player. Best of luck!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I wish you luck. And the advice I give you is horrible, but it works: Give this interview as lost. It is unreasonable to just get hired in a first interview. Usually it takes a couple more until it matches.
If you put yourself in that frame of mind, but without soreness, you usually go through the interview with a calm and education that at least in a personal level is appreciated.

Jul 12, 2011
Wish you the best brother, remember in a phone interview they can't

see facial expression or body language...so that means you have to

"use" your voice to do everything....

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Good luck brother. Just be honest and confident in who you are and what you do.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Toker.. good luck.
Some advice:

* Be on-time and ready to take the call. Picking up with "Oh.. eh.. yeah. sure" doesn't come over well.

* Be in a quiet spot. Background noise is killer.

* Take it easy... fast talking over the phone and droning on gets tiring

* Ask regularly whether "Did I answer your question ?" or "Is this what you were looking for ?" or "Does this help". The lack of non-verbal comms makes it hard to determine whether you're on track

* The advice above on the "I" thing is right
Good luck ! Hope you land a face-to-face after

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
Always remember to thank them for giving you the opportunity to speak with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.