PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Last August I tried Haddo's for the first time. Oh Lord how I loved the taste, the aroma, the burn,..everything. That is for awhile. It's a good thing I was only two steps from my bed because that is where I spent the next two hours,unable to move my head. By far, the worst nic hit I've ever had. I'm ready,after these months, to give it another go. I think I've improved my puffing and packing techniques and I also will try one of my small bowls. When I first came back to the pipe after almost 40 years I tended to smoke everything in huge bowls. I know better now.

I plan on having a nice lunch, with a sugary dessert, before I try, but the fear of a repeat is still there.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
It also helps to keep a sugary drink on hand while smoking. Does wonders if the nic starts to overwhelm. Although I usually don't like carbonated drinks while smoking, a good quality cane sugar made root beer works great.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Good luck!! I have not smoked Haddo's in ages but do remember that nic hit! Small bowls are the way to go until you build up your nic stamina.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I went with a Savinelli Elegante I bought to add to my green pipe collection. It's the smallest bowl I could find. and I went for a Barq's for refreshment because of the caffeine. Still an enjoyable, flavorful smoke. I got a little nic hit, but nothing like last time. I smoked cigars for thirty something years and never once had the kind of nic hit I've gotten a few times smoking a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't take it as too much of a point of honor. You could cut it with a milder, low nic tobacco,

Carter Hall or Burley Without Bite (or something else if those aren't good to you). Stay with the small

pipe for now, or pack a partial bowl. Then if it's still too much of a nic hit, pass it along to someone

else and stick with blends that treat you better. This is supposed to be a pleasure highlight of your

day, not a test.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I kind of came to the conclusion that worrying about it was not a pleasurable experience about half way through the bowl and once I conquered that it tasted a whole lot better. I think I will make it a rare, sometime smoke because I really like the tobacco. It sure would help if we had a set of nicotine standards, like amount of nic in a certain amount of tobacco, much like food labels. Oh well, I guess why there is a place for a forum like this.

I was able to handle my early evening Magnum Opus in a large Wiley even after having the Haddo's, so it's been a good day.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'm currently working through a tin I cellared in 2004, it's amazing and sadly the only one I have that's aged this long. Everyone has different body chemistry and obviously yours is sensitive to high nicotine conte as it relates to your pipe tobacco. I think your on the right track by preparing yourself in the manner you've described and I think you should thoroughly enjoy a small bowl of Haddo's. It's one of Mr. Pease's masterpieces IMHO. Check back afterward, I want to know what your impressions are of this blend on this go around.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I love the blend, which is the only reason I would go to this trouble. I will keep it in rare rotation and enjoy it when I can. There are so many Va/pers I love; Escudo, Esoterica Dunbar, Rimboche' SJ, Brigham Legend Acadian, Elizabethan Mixture, etc.

Then there's always the "fake" Va/pers that I also enjoy like the Royal Cajun line. I don't think I'll have trouble only pulling out the Haddo's every once in awhile. I think the flavor is glorious and would not think of mixing it with anything else. I have pipes also that I only smoke on special occasions and I can't think of another use for that Savinelli other than Haddo's. It's such a delicate, little pipe, but the draw is really nice and now I know I can enjoy Haddo's occasionally and really enjoy it rather than worrying.
Although I usually don't like carbonated drinks while smoking, a good quality cane sugar made root beer works great.
It would not have occurred to me to go for the sugar rather than high fructose corn syrup. Thanks for the tip. We do have a substantial sugarcane industry here and several brands of cane based root beer available. I wish Barq's used cane sugar. It also contains caffeine and is one of my favorite beverages.

Status
Not open for further replies.