PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012

A lunt is good anytime of year. I especially like a winter time walk in the wilds with my pipe. As I mentioned on Pat's lunting post from yesterday the RoadQueen and I spent three hours this afternoon hiking the hills of north eastern Ohio. We spotted a nice whitetail buck and some smaller deer, various birds and few squirrels.

I smoked my Ryan Alden Devil Anse with some GL Pease Gaslight. It always seems any tobacco just tastes more intense while out enjoying nature. Of course the Gaslight hit the spot out on the trail today.

Hope you all had a great weekend!

-bentmike

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Great pics bentmike! I enjoy a good smoke on a brisk day. Don't get all that many opportunities down here in Florida. Would love to spend an afternoon in a beautiful setting like you share in your pics! Thanks!

spud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2013
It's 95 here and to hot and humid for a walk in the jungle. Nicaragua

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Mike, those are some nice pics. Glad you and RoadQueen got out for a stomp through the bush. Love the look of that Devil Anse too. It works for you.
Thanks for posting. Now send us the white stuff. It's bloody cold, so we might as well have the snow.
-- Pat

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
bentmike: wonderful photos. I too used to hike the woods. My bones and joints can't take the cold any longer, but I love the memories your photos engender.
And the Devil Anse pipe is just plain cool.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I walk and smoke with my dog often, but we haven't broken 10 degrees in almost a week, so I've been abstaining. Looking very much forward to the 30 degrees we're supposed to get by Wednesday and the first pipe in a week. I'm thinking Gaslight will be a good way to break to drought.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Nothing better than a winter lunt. My favorite time of year for piping on the hoof, because you don't have to worry about the fire hazzard as much, from blowing embers. Although I use one of those Chinese spring-clip 4noggins wind screens just to play it safe. And you're right, tobacco, like food, just tastes better outdoors.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Inspiring photos - a pipe outdoors is great as long as the ambient temperature is not too cold. Else, I would fear for the bowl.
While I haven't had Gaslight outdoors yet, I imagine a smoky richness would be fine on the trail.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
With final's week starting, I've finally found time to smoke again. (The two weeks preceeding were cram week and hell week, which are far worse-finals is actually my favorite time of the school year). And the temperature is hovering around 30F with some fresh snow on the ground and the odd flurries-I'll definitely be heading out for a nice lunt this afternoon.

Great pics! I'm looking forward to real winter hitting here in the Midwest.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Great pics Mike, I plan on going Lunting myself this evening. We just got some snow last night so I'll head on out with my walking stick and a pipe as long as the temperature doesn't plummet like they're calling for. I need to get out of the house more anyways.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Really like the pic of the icicles hangin over the creek. I'd be doing the same, but can't seem to shake this damn cold

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
That's awesome, out here in Cali we do not have the fortune to get snow like that, only in the mountains.
And btw, sweet pipe. What is that?

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Gents for the nice comments!
@redbeard: The pipe was made by Ryan Alden from Texas. He goes by "Lonestar" here on the forums and pops in every now and then. He does great work. I purchased this pipe and met Ryan at the Columbus pipe show earlier this year.

The pipe has a chameleon like finish on it that I am quite fond of. Indoors or on a cloudy day it looks almost black but in direct sunlight the red under the black really comes out. I normally hold all my pipes but this one has very flat button and I notice that it feels nearly perfect in my jaws. I think I will find some softy bits and do some clenching with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.