PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Hello Friends,
I am seeking your help. This doesn't have anything to do with pipe smoking except that I like to read while I smoke. I remember someone on here talking about reading Churchill's speeches while smoking. I am a huge fan of Churchill's but I can't seem to find a good book of his speeches and I don't remember who it was who was talking about it.
So, I am asking you if you have any good recommendations for a book of Winston Churchill speeches to read while smoking.
Thanks!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
It's funny you should ask this, as I am now ploughing through Winston Churchill's six volume magnum opus on the Second World War. I own the original 1950 hardback editions, but you can pick up a soft cover reprint of the whole set on Amazon for less money. These six volumes written by the hand of Churchill are the definitive guide to WWII as told from the English view point. Which is the only honorable view point I might add. There are no better books to accompany pipe smoking in my opinion. Here is the Amazon link:
Check this out on AMZN:
The Second World War [The Gathering Storm, Their Finest Hour, The Grand Alliance, The Hinge of Fate, Closing the Ring, Triumph and Tragedy] 6 Volume Set -- copyright dates 1948-1953 -- Winston S. Churchill -- Excellent Condition with Dust Covers -
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001N9SSLU/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
Can't help with a book on his speeches but I highly recommend The Churchills in Love and War by Mary S. Lovell. I'm reading it now and it has everything you want or need to know about the family from the beginning.. What an incredible family.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Not speeches but a great read:
Gandhi & Churchill: The Epic Rivalry that Destroyed an Empire and Forged Our Age

by Arthur Herman

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Not speeches but a great read:

Gandhi & Churchill: The Epic Rivalry that Destroyed an Empire and Forged Our Age

by Arthur Herman

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Biographies are always fun to read when enjoying a bowl; I just finished Vol 1 of Mark Twain's autobiography; how cool is it that somebody sat on that for a hundred years after his death until they could publish it. It's pretty cheap second hand now and Vol 2 should be out this year.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
I just picked up the in Love and War one the other day. Can't wit to start it!

Jul 15, 2011
It's funny you should ask this, as I am now ploughing through Winston Churchill's six volume magnum opus on the Second World War.
Kashmir, thank you for the info. This soundes really fascinating and I never knew that it existed but I am definitely going to check this out.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I can't say enough about these six volumes. Written by Winston Churchill they present the entire Second World War in minute detail. Each volume is some 800+ pages long. And written in a style of prose acknowledged by all to be the best the English language can offer. Price for the six volume paper back edition reprints is around $90. Price for original 1950 hardback edition is around $30 per volume. None better!
The Second World War. Six volume paperback eds.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00740LIQE/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
These six volumes written by the hand of Churchill are the definitive guide to WWII as told from the English view point. Which is the only honorable view point I might add.
I'm half English and couldn't agree with you more. :lol:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I love Churchill and his six volume history of WWII but any historian will tell you that any first person account of history is inherently biased and has to be cross checked with other sources.

Aug 14, 2012
About 30 years ago, when I had a photo business that provided headshots for performers, a woman and her son walked in. The kid, only about 5 years old, started giving me orders right away. I said to the mom, "your son looks like Winston Churchill" (an exact likeness). Not familiar with the name she asked "what films did he make?"

Status
Not open for further replies.