PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
So the bug has bit me once again and the pursuit of a new pipe for the rotation has begun! Looking to add a mid quality Danish. Now for the big discussion, What shall I get? I have narrowed it down to three carvers Winslow, Nording and Neerup. I have looked and argued in my head long enough. 100-150 is my target range. 200 if its a must have. Let the convincing begin!

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
IMO Nording and Neerup are pretty much equal in quality at around the $100 level. Have 1 Neerup and 2 Nording.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I have a Winslow Crown that my wife bought me as an engagement present a few years ago. It smokes like a dream! I'd recommend Winslows to anybody.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
I have been looking at Winslow and they do look like fine pipes. The only reserve I have about Nording is the amount of pipes he puts out. Having never smoked a Nording this leads me to some doubt in quality when so many pipes are produced so quickly.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I like Neerup in this category. Obviously you're looking at some wild Danish styling here.. I found the Neerup I had to feel very nice in hand and was a very fine smoker.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The three are equally fine carvers, it is really up to who's style you prefer.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I own a Winslow Crown, Nording Signature, and a Neerup IDA. I love them all. The Winslow is the jewel of the three though. The Nording is my favorite pipe, and travels everywhere with me, the IDA is in the rotation every week, but doesn't travel. I would put them in the order that I mentioned them, but you can't go wrong with any of them. The Neerup and Nording are about equal in workmanship and smoking...and price.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I own all three; multiples of each.
As stated above Winslow Crown is the class act of them all... then get the others as well.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
The best thing about this community is the feedback and how quickly it arrives! I appreciate all the input fellas. The Winslow seems to be winning the race. If I pull the trigger soon I will update with the results. Again thanks for the help.

Jan 8, 2013
Having never smoked a Nording this leads me to some doubt in quality when so many pipes are produced so quickly.
Stick around this forum long enough and you'll discover that if there's a quality issue with pipes, you'll hear about it here, trust me. And I've heard very few complaints about Nordings here, save for a few that had finish issues, that may or may not have been caused by smoking the pipe too hot. I have seven Nordings ranging from low cost to high cost. All are fantastic, and I'm always looking to add another one to the collection.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
All 3 are quality pipes, I prefer the Nording for freehand shapes, but my over all preference for Danish are vintage Stanwells

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I have owned pipes from all three of these artisans. In the price range you are looking at I believe that the Winslow Crown series are the top value. Each of these carvers are capable of making fine pipes and I don't think you can really go wrong either way. I am most partial to Poul Winslows' pipes and I have 5 or 6 of his hand mades which are amongst my very best smoking pipes. I also have an Erik Nording Elk Hunter that has never had anything except Black House put through it, likely 3-4 pounds of it at that, and it nearly smokes itself and I would never let it go for anything! My lone Neerup was also a fine pipe, but I let a friend trade me out of it, as he adored that pipe and he is still very happy with it and smokes it often. Anyway....if I were looking to spend $100.00 -$200.00, my money would go to the Winslow Crown.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I can't comment on any of them personally but a friend bought a Nording and where the draught hole meets the bowl was really shredded just poorly drilled. That could certainly be the exception to the rule.
I like all 3. My only question to you is if your a clencher? If so then there are some lighter weight Nordings that would fit the bill.
I'm sure whichever one you pick you'll be happy with it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't own a Winslow nor a Neerup, but both have good reputations. Nording sells volume, but he started life training as an engineer, so both his factory pipes and presumably his hand-mades have excellent fit and finish. I find the Neerup design a little front heavy, though they are said to be good in hand. Nording offers a wide variety of designs and genres and their smoking characteristics are notably dependable. I'd trust a $68 or a $350 Nording pipe. I believe I'd get my money's worth.

Jan 8, 2013
I'd trust a $68 or a $350 Nording pipe. I believe I'd get my money's worth.
Exactly! Mine range from the Signature up to his highest grade 20 and I kid you not the Signature smokes just as well as my high grades.... a little better than a couple of them actually haha.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
OK folks just pulled the trigger on this Poul Winslow Crown. dont even know enough to know if I purchased the correct Winslow but this pipe really grabbed my attention immediately and thats important to me. Hopefully its a good smoker! Got it for 108.00 with shipping included at new condition. Whats everybodys thoughts on the purchase? Did I even get the right Winslow Crown? lol
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qKkAAOSwB09YNcld/s-l1600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here it is embedded:
s-l1600.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.