Winslow - Size to Weight Ratio

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from mso489
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've noticed Poul's pipes are a tad bit heavier than other artisans, just an observation not a criticism or a rant. I'm talking normal sized pipes here. Is it the briar? or do Winslow makes his pipes extra THICC? What are your thoughts about them?

Pipes that intrigued me Winslow: Smooth Bent Apple with Boxwood (D) and Winslow: Smooth Bent Billiard (Private Collection)

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

May just be really dense briar. Lovely pieces btw.

Bent Apple

Bent Billiard

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both very lovely pipes. I'd be hard pressed to choose between the two. But the grain on that billiard! Seems more like a volcano/pot to me though.

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I would have called the billiard a volcano as well.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh yeah that is a Volcano with a grain as tight as a bodybuilder's butt, I am just a bit wary of the weight of the pipe. Winslow is the master of the freeform and it shows.

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

I have a Crown 300 bent dublin that weighs in at 56.7 grams, and is a joy to smoke. Winslow indeed does good work.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, I like Winslow makes pipes ranging from $95 to $1000 or more !! Something for everyone.

Although, his lower lines, machine made or he makes them all?

Chris

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Briar varies quite a bit in weight for volume. Johs was sourcing briar for a while that was notably lighter weight for its size than most. He never sold pipes as featherweight, but some of his certainly were. It's an added luxury at the same time that he kept his prices moderate. If you move around with a pipe in your mouth, clench, or even just lighting the pipe, lighter weight is a real attribute. Nonetheless, those are striking pipes, whatever they weigh.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud